Hi all. - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hi all.-imageuploadedbypg-free1352471211.871197.jpgHi all.-imageuploadedbypg-free1352471220.580673.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hi all.-imageuploadedbypg-free1352471513.397728.jpgHi all.-imageuploadedbypg-free1352471530.663182.jpgHi all.-imageuploadedbypg-free1352471544.321118.jpgHi all.-imageuploadedbypg-free1352471556.926416.jpgHi all.-imageuploadedbypg-free1352471565.815131.jpg

Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Whoa
buppie
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Buttercup

Oh how cuuuuuuuuute! I'll be over in 5 to squeeze 'em! Welcome!
Princess Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Shivering is very much a Basset thing - and can be just down to stress, or can also indicate pain. I'd suggest, under the circumstances, the former. However, as always it's best to arrange to have your vet check him over within the first 48 hours. I try to allow a day between coming home, and visiting the vet because it's rather a lot to hit a baby with all in the one day/24 hours. He should have a health check however, and be started on his vaccination programme which can be done from 8 weeks, and should be. Take any medical history you have been given by his breeder with you - worming history. Puppies should have been wormed from 2 weeks of age, and every 2 weeks to the time they go home at which point the vet will advise when he should next be wormed.

Just give him time to settle down - and much as here in the UK we don't use crates as much as in N.America, they are not a bad idea as it's a safe place to put a puppy when you can't supervise what he's getting into. Set it up in your living area, with the top and 3 sides covered and some nice bedding inside so he should start to use it as his safe place to take a nap. When you need to go out or leave him unsupervised for a while, you then shut the door. But play with him first so he's a bit tired before crating - and take him out to empty too. He can go outside, but not off your property. Provided your garden is fenced (and it's going to need to be!!) so no strange dogs can get in, he'll be fine. And it's always best to start as you mean to continue - doing the biz. outside.

Overnight I'd bring the crate in alongside your bed. He's probably going to be quiet the first night as he'll be tired out, but tomorrow night it may well be quite different.

I hope his breeder has told you about no stairs, and limited exercise for the first 6 months (after he's had all his vaccination done) too. This is a breed that you must go slow with in terms of exercise - big bone and no muscles = potential for injury. And looking at him on the sofa - don't let him jump off. You must lift him or you could have problems with his front.

I'm down here in the SW too - N.Cornwall, so I most likely know where your lad has come from. I hope you have found a vet who is a bit in tune with the unique Basset - sadly I've come across some pretty bad ones since moving across from the East.

Have fun!!

Last edited by FranksMum; 11-09-2012 at 12:04 PM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hey franks mum.
He came from helston in Cornwall so you may well know where he was from. We have been lifting him on and off the sofa as the breeders have told us about his bones and back etc. he was wormed and flea'd when he was about 2 weeks and also had his first jab.
I took him to a vets here and registered him, they gave him a thorough check and told us a few details about bassets which was good. He is booked in for his next jab on 20th of this month.
The vet noticed he had a little ear infection but nothing serious so we have drops for his ears that we give him twice a day.
I done a lot of research for months before we got him so I new that the ears need a lot of care so on an evening I give them a little wipe with doggy ear wipes... I think he actually likes his ears been cleaned, I thought he was going to hate it.
Thank you all for helping me out I'm very greatful

Xxx

Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

What a gorgeous little puppy! I am totally in love, and it's probably a good thing I can't come visit him, as he would be in grave danger of being stolen, lol.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

cute puppie!!
From the pics Norman believes that Joey will be a model for Playdog Mag. Basset edition.
newton'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Oh Joey, you are SO adorable! There is NOTHING in the world cuter than a basset pup!

Lisa, listen to the training advice here. These folks know that they are doing. You have definitely come to the right place.

Two weeks ago, I adopted Ellie at 16 wks. Although the ultimate sweetheart and learning the potty training very well (a smart girl), our biggest issue now is teething (you will get there) I haven't seen much on this topic posted (of course, I may have missed it, didn't research all the threads). Initially, she was basically shredding my hand and arm (looked like I put it in a garbage disposal) However, between following the "Bite intabition" info and replacing chew toys when she starts in on me, it turning out pretty well. the big thing is at bed time (she sleeps with me) she seems to catch yet Another Wind and is full of energy. I hand her a big old raw hid to gnaw on and she works at it for a few moments and is off to sleep. Worst part of this is me rolling over on the rawhide in bed (damn it hurts!).

Just my input for what it is worth!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

what a little sweetie. ours are also periodic shiver-ers
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement