where to buy clothes for my basset hound - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default where to buy clothes for my basset hound

So does anybody know where to buy clothes that fit my basset hound. he is 2 yrs and wieghs 74 pounds. so xl are too long and large are too small for his chest, any websites that you have found or stores will be helfpul
thank you
Joanna_larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Though my hound is not as large as yours, I just use kid size shirts and sweaters from the thrift store. They are cheap and I don't care if they get torn up or dirty. I usually have to cut the arm whole bigger to fit her broad chest and velcro strips to close up the extra fabric towards her rear. Big lots has cheap dog sweaters too, anywhere from $6 - $12, but I don't know how large they go. But if regular dog sweaters don't fit, I would just keep buying people t-shirts and cut them to size and use velcro to keep them together. You can find velcro at Walmart in the sewing section.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

ok thanks, i will try just using some old clothes with velcro tonight for now
Joanna_larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Haha well you have asked the right basset hound! i have a little wardrobe section in my person's closet. mostly cuz i get cold and shivery in the wintertime. but also becuz i get costumes for Halloweens and sports outfits to support my sports teams here lol.

'fit' is sort of a relative term, cuz i guess i'd say very little fits me exactly cuz of my funny basset body. i have a skinny body but a relatively thick neck and big chest. so we get clothes when they fit 'good enough' but most of them not exactly. most are a little tight or a little loose SOMEwhere lol.

the best advice that has worked for us is to try everything on, if you can!
we have spent many an hour on the floor at a pet store trying on different outfits to find something that fits well enough and looks decent enough. things that looked good on the hanger didn't necessarily look good on Worm! he has clothes in every size imaginable: S, M, L, XL, XXL... it's all relative, and we found sizing to be very variable and not a good indicator of whether he'll fit.

there are definitely clothes out there that will fit your basset, as there are clothes that are made for even bigger dogs like golden retrievers and lab retrievers. my pal Fudge weighs 90 something pounds and he has several big shirts that fit him.

do you have Petsmarts & Petcos & Pet Food Expresses nearby? I would start with those. there most outfits were $10-20. Target also had a lot of good shirts and outfits, esp just now for Halloween. if there is Target nearby i'd check it out, as prob the Halloween stuff is prob on sale. some of the Halloween stuff was not that Halloweeny, and could prob be worn year-round.

for the itching, it seems T shirts and tank tops are particularly good, because they would cover up the midsection pretty well.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

I find outfits for my girls from all the stores Worm listed. One of my girls before she just lost the weight was close to 85lbs and I have them as small as 65lbs. They have all worn XL - I just have to make sure not to get any outfits with legs if you know what I mean - but I guess if I could sew better than I do - I could cut off the legs and sew them to fit.

Come to think of it maybe its good that I cant sew better or Id buy them more than I do I already hear my from two legged daughter how my hounds have more clothes then she does. Like Worm they have a big part of one of our closets and have a dresser for their change of season clothes.

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (dont tell him though he thinks hes a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound RIP 2000 ~ 2011 Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

My rule of thumb is go for anything that STRETCHES! When Hubert was little we spent a ridiculous amount on coats he wore for about a week. Now the only thing that fits that big chest is sweaters and tshirts, anything that gives and stretches.
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

We have a bad mean Mum. We don't have any clothes and some of you boys have your own section of the wardrobe. Our Dad hardly gets that. I think we're missing out!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
We have a bad mean Mum. We don't have any clothes and some of you boys have your own section of the wardrobe. Our Dad hardly gets that. I think we're missing out!

I don't think the UK have got the idea of dogs wearing clothes unless they're those itty bitty dainty doggies. The only clothes Bella has in her wardrobe is her bright dayglo pink Outdoor coat and her jammies, for escpecially cold nights, jammies was a pajama top of my daughters with the arms cut to length and a cut up the back that velcro was added to to make it fit. Other than that she goes nekkid alot of the time.
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
When we were in the process of getting Hubert my husband said that we are not putting clothes on the dogs...well guess who just happened to purchase most of them? The same man who's idea it was to dress up the dogs for Halloween. Also the same man who I found asleep on the couch this morning because he didn't want to move any of our pups out of the bed last night. haha He works for them.
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Awww isn't he the one that said no to a third? Definitely smitten and well trained (sounds like my OH - the girls rule and he loves it)
I would like to find a sweater or something for Isabel. She never grew all her hair on her belly and gets a little chilly on winter walks. But its hard finding something long enough that covers it. We're going to Discover Dogs on Sunday. Shopping Paradise! Maybe we'll find something.
Advertisement