I need advice, my basset has issues!! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I need advice, my basset has issues!!

I love my two yr old basset hound virgil but Im running out of options on what to do to make him a happier dog and me a happier owner. I can't afford these weekly vet visits, that cost anywhere from $100-$300 week. For the past yr he has had many of issues but the major one that I need help on is his skin problem.
We finally found out two weeks ago that he has thyroid disease so I thought we were on a uphill road, but not so much. I was told thyroid disease causes skin problems so I thought the pills he has to take twice a day would help, so far they haven't. But I'm still hopeful. He has many other issues described as symptoms of T.D. Such as overweight (74poinds at two yrs) etc. So I was almost relieved to find treatment answer for him.
But so far I'm still concerned about his constant itching of mostly his belly. To the point he has itched all of his hair off and skin is raw, beat red, little bumps, and sometimes little scabs, almost like he gets inverted nipples. The skin also under his armpits, near his peter, etc. look like black little dirt or scabs but is where he itches the most. Its not dirt though it's an irritation.
He has learned to army crawl and his belly on the carpet to itch his belly (which was cut at first) but if hes not eating or sleeping he's itching and trying to eat his paws off cuz he's soooo itchy. He cant even play like he use to anymore and barely listens to me as he just sits there and itches and stares at me.
As of last night I put a t shirt on him and it has helped him from not itching for now, makes me think it's more of a contact allergy to our carpet because When I took it off he started in again and even was sneezing constantly (which is new he didn't have that symptom the last yr with the itch)
We also just switched his food to the most expensive $80bag hyperalleginic food couple days ago to see if that would work. To soon to tell.
Lthrough out the last yr we have had him on diff strengths of steroid and other pills to help with the inflammation on belly etc. the last pills he was on was atopica which is $200 mth and didn't work either. The steroid helped him to not itch at first but eventually gave him aggressive side effects and crazy behavior and horrible hunger attitutdes. He would eat everything in my back yard, even tried eating the bark off the trees, ate all my hosta plants, etc.
So we are still dealing with him having the nasty gas ever. That hasn't got better for last couple mths he just constantly smells like a fart even after bathing him. Every time he moves he is farting. My fiancÚ can't even be in the same room as him anymore because he claims he will throw up due to the smell. Which he follows me everywhere, so my fiancÚ is a bit annoyed and to be honest I'm stressed. I don't know what to do. Keep him in a t shirt the rest of his life?
Has anyone else had issues like this?
Joanna_larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm so sorry to hear your Basset is so ill. I don't have any advice, but I wanted you to know that your plea has been heard. The poor dog sounds so miserable, and you do too.

It sounds like some kind of severe allergy to me. I don't know where you got him from, but is there anyway you could contact the former owners or the breeder, or perhaps owners of any of his siblings or his parents? I would be very interested to find out if any others in his family have suffered from the same problems.

Perhaps you can give him Benadryl or something similiar to help with the itching? Ask the veterinary if he can have that, and keep checking here - there are so many who know what they're talking about with Bassets, certainly more knowledgable than I.

I hope you find relief soon.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

try a search of allegies and mickey T. or just wait tor him to see this thread. good luck
newton'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

could be food too. i had some iching problems and now im eating only Wellness white fish with sweet potato and a lot of that has stoped. i also quite smoking and that really helped. good luck
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well I thought that. We smoked in our old house but moved in june to smoke free home and the it got worse. Thought it was old carpet but again new houses carpet still triggers it. Seems worse after I vacum even. Tried non sented detergent, no purdumes or candles, still something in my house.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe it's carpet in general? My first boy, Francis had itchy ears until I pulled the carpet.
I think you might want to completely start from scratch with a new bunch of vets who aren't hung up on their previous diagnoses.
I feel so bad for both of you.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Is the carpet new? Perhaps cleaning it several times over with just hot water in the machine will help get rid of any residue or chemicals remaining in the carpet?

We got rid of our carpeting a year or so ago and had hardwood floors installed, with just some area rugs. One of the best things we ever did. It's so much easier to keep the floors and the whole house, actually, clean now.

-San.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

well the carpet was brand new (at the old house when we moved in) still itched. At the new house, we moved in quickly and can afford to put new carpet down or pull it out (as im paying an arm and leg in vet bills right now lol). I considered rug doctoring the carpet though but im scared that may make it worse. He itches about 10% when he is actually outside. 99% when he is inside. 1% inside with a shirt on.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

New carpets can have chemicals in them or in the undermatting that can cause allergic reactions. That's what I meant when suggesting it be steam cleaned or cleaned with just hot water several times, in the hopes the irritant can be removed.

So using a Rug doctor or hiring Stanley Steamer is a good idea; but I suggest not using cleaning solution, just the heated water. What is the carpet made of? Maybe he's reacting to that? Perhaps try putting down a sheet for Virgil to be on, or keeping him off the carpeted rooms, to see if he continues to scratch and itch?

-San.

Last edited by -SAN.; 11-05-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Your poor guy and you! I know how frustrating it is when we can't make them better. I agree change vets and start afresh or as MikeyT would suggest a dermatologist. Also hoovering can stir the allergens up and make them airborne. There is a filter for hoovers you can get especially designed for allergies. It does sound like a contact allergy. I know allergies to the indoors (dust mites, mould spores etc...) are very common with hounds (moreso than food).
Advertisement