I need advice, my basset has issues!! - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #21 (permalink)

FWIW Apple cider vinegar is much better feeding - working up to a tablespoon in their water or food. White vinegar is much better on the skin as it's more acidic and doesn't leave a residue. i think you have too many things going on with trying to fix the skin problems. I would wait for the thyroid drugs to kick in and take it from there. One of the biggest problems with vet bought hypoallergenic foods is that they are very high in carbs and low protein - usually potato is the number one ingredient. Yeast thrives on sugar and potatoes have a very high GI - they turn to sugar very quickly. Plus it makes your dog fat not the best thing for a hypothyroid. Just my two cents

Last edited by shakespeare; 11-11-2012 at 10:51 AM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

You are working against yourself,trying to cut back his food intake while on Pred. Pred makes them so hungry,my Bubba was a 70 lb dog not over weight when he had to be put on pred for cancer he gained 20lbs without an increase in food,but he was hungry 24/7. If you were not trying hypo foods to relive the itching I would say substitute green beans for 1/4 of his food to help lose weight.If his legs are very crooked he needs to get weight off before he become crippled altogether. This year leaf mold is really bad Esa has never been affected like she is this year. The gas could be an intestinal problem.Good Luck
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

As far as diet goes I would feed a very simple kibble - if that's what you feed- lots of a single protein (animal souce) and not too much carbs. Our hounds do not need a lot of carbs and most allergies are to protein mostly animal but it can be to grains or who knows just eating too much processed food. I would hate to see a dog with a weak immune system getting weaker on a bad diet and unfortnately that is the diet of vet hypoallergenic foods - they have very low protein and too high carbs!.

Last edited by shakespeare; 11-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

I'm not a vet but I own 2 healthy Bassets and I find a raw diet greatly contributes to their well-being. I have control over what carbs and vegies are added which allows for easy monitoring and evaluation of what is working and what does not - if its a food related allergy.
Have you considered a possible autoimmune disease?
Bonnibee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #25 (permalink)

Default Update on Virgil

Hey so the food Virgil is on is called prescription diet, z/d ultra allergen free the hills brand. Still haven't seen any improvement from the switch. Still keeping him in the thirst to prevent the itching for now and his hair is starting to grow back on his belly at least. Going to give him a few more weeks of trying the food Hoping for an improvement
Joanna_larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

it takes 12 weeks minimium of a feeding trial to prove or disprove a food allergy.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #27 (permalink)

Just wondering if there is a reason the prescribed hypo foods are 60% carbohydrates?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
the prescribed hypo foods are 60% carbohydrates?
no different than 90% of all kibble produced FWIW no one has been able to make kibble that will maintain it shape at less than 20% carbs and even that is difficult.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #29 (permalink)

Mikey do you think a hound with skin problems is better having more protein, more fat, or more carbs? Or less? I am asking because Margs is scratching again - she was very good for a long time. And I have done everything! It gets a lot better and then we're back....

Last edited by shakespeare; 11-21-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #30 (permalink)

Default Update n virgils itching

So we finally spent the money to get allergy test on Virgil. He is allergic to dust mites, storage mold, cat dander, and a fantasy word for soil. We started his allergy vaccin bout mth ago. He is already showing signs of improvement but not ideal yet. They say bout three months in should be big change. But we ardly have to put him in a shirt anymore. Maybe like once or twice a week more at night. But his on the way to recovery in my opinion, I'm happy I spent the money because this s the most helpful thing we have found, here's Los some management things we are doin to help prevent exposure too.
Joanna_larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement