Feel Trial - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Feel Trial

Hello Basset Pals,

Well guess what? tomorrow I overhears that me going to my first 'feel trial!' ya know the ones that Mr. Mikey always talks about here lol. We hasta drive starting at 5am to get there by 7am, we is getting sleepy thinking about it.

I has absolutely no clues what is going on, so maybe that's why it's a 'feel trial,' we just going by feel here to get thru tomorrow. well that's not totally true, i did watch Mr. Mikey's videos and it looks like we gets to run around off-leash in a big field or something. it actually looks kinda fun!

i'll let ya know how it goes. but if u never hear from me again, it's cuz i ran away during the 'feel trial.'

--Worm
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds exciting, Worm! No running away though! We would miss your stories so much! Keep us posted on your exciting day!
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Have fun!

The hounds and I will be going to one in NY this weekend, as will MikeyT and Macey.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Mrs. Soundtrack & Mr. Yogi! oh boy what an adventure it wuz.

we didn't know what we were doing, definitely the newbies and i wuz the new kid on the block. but the basset peeples were so nice and showed us all the ropes.

short story is: i got 2nd place yesterday! that wuz a surprise but it wuz kewl.

long story is:
we didn't know much about "field trials" and in truth it is kinda hard to explain, which is why were just told to show up. but if we were to sum it up, we walk thru a field and every now and then a bunny pops up and hops away. the peeples and judges are watching it's path. after the bunny goes away, us hounds compete 2 at a time trying to follow the bunny scent trail. there were 2 judges and they decide which hound was more accurate following the trail.

on Friday we left in the wee hours. i did not place on Friday during the Field Trials for Sacramento. but everyone wuz very encouragin'. the judge said that i looked like i wuz having lotsa fun (in truth i was, it's fun to run off leash!) but that i didn't have my nose to the ground. but once i get it, they thought i'd be good or something. something bout me lookin' kinda intense lol!

i did see some bunnies hop by and it did make me alert and want to go look for them. but then it wasn't my turn. there wuz a nice practice session and i wuz paired up w/a Champion named Dice. but we got last place for that session too

on Saturday oh boy it wuz hot here. early november and it felt like summer. we had 13 hounds competing in the boys class and it took 3 hrs to do in the hot sun. this wuz the Field Trial for N. California. when it wuz my turn, i went down the trail ~little less than halfway, then turned around to see my person. it wuz so odd she wasn't calling me back. usually she's yellin' at me to come back, or making me work on long-distance recall or something! so i walked back to see her (which is a fault, i found out later). she didn't look that happy to see me tho! i lost to the other hound Carter a beautiful red basset.

but i guess i did impress the judges some, so actually i got placed in the top 4. i did better in the next braces (2 more) and ended up in 2nd place, losing to my pal Carter. i wuz gettin' the hang of following bunny scents. either that or it wuz beginner's luck! the judges said i wuz slow & methodical. and he says once i learn to get away from my person i will do even bettah.

so... does anyone know... does speed count for Field Trials? do i need to start working faster? also how does a hound learn to 'open'? i don't do that yet. i'm quiet and slow, kinda stealth like.

melikes this sport cuz ya gets to wander off at your leisure and not get yelled at. in fact, after one of my last runs, i just kept following and following my nose. i became deaf to my person calling me back after it wuz over and i just kept walking where i liked. finally someone else had to help my person get me back. all that and i got a 'good dog Worm' instead of a mad person!

i hope my S. Calif pals here on the forum will join me when i go again, maybe next year.

it wuz kewl to meet all the basset peeples, some of them breeders with gorgeous houndies. and it's a small basset world cuz theys knows some of y'alls here on the forum. another interesting think i learned is that my Mom is from a kennel called Kaskade in W. Virginia, so the basset peeples told me about that a bit. of course my person can't make heads or tails of my family tree, so it wuz nice to meet peeples who could.

i will post some pics on my blog soon from my weekend adventure.

Field trials were kewl! i think i will do another one sometime.
--Worm
Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Way to go Worm. You did good for your first time and sounds like you had lots of fun. Wish we could go. If you ever get this way we have rabbits and other wildlife running around here. No prizes though unless you catch something then that's your prize.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Way to go Wormie!

Annie often turns to look for me when running off leash, like she's waiting for me to catch up. So she may not be the best field trial gal! LOL
Old 11-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Congratulations Wworm. Sounds like you had loads of fun. Will you do another one before next year?
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Superkool Wworm! We girlies are soo jealous we don't get enough of bunny chasing
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

In akc field trials accuracy is more imporant than speed general but it is all in the Eye of the beholder. In AHBA trial the dogs have to find the rabbits on there own so it more than just a tracking test. Also boy and girls compete together not seperately. and alway in a small pack format ie 3-6 dogs at a time,

the cover is very different as well it is much heavier ie briers and bushes etc. so the hound need to be more presient and harder work . Speed because of how AHBA judges is more of a asset than it is in an AKC trial. That said accuracy general trumps speed.

Soundtract's Leila on Staturday one the AHBA bench show and Hermione in Her Second Field trial ever Won her cast and finished Second. on saturday. Macey Moved up to Sixth in Hound of the year points in the open class.

Hunt Results

Hound of the Year 2012
Attached Thumbnails
Feel Trial-feel-trial.jpg   Feel Trial-feeltrial001.jpg  

Last edited by Mikey T; 11-05-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
So she may not be the best field trial gal! LOL
nature of basset in the field they check in on you, They know where you are even if you do not know where they are. When they gain more confidence they will work farther away and with experience when on a rabbit they will not check in.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement