limping on rear leg - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

We have had similar issues with Harvey a couple of times. Once with a front leg and once on a rear leg. We always just got a shot like you said and some pain killers for about five days. When he had the problem in the rear leg it was exactly like you described, he wouldn't put it on the floor and was really reluctant to walk. I got really scared of course but the vet found nothing just like the time before. The most important instruction he gave us though was rest (which I know is not easy with a puppy) so Harvey rested for almost two weeks. Out just for potty and even inside we didn't let him run or play too rough. It helped and now he is good as new! We did get an X-ray both times though just to be sure!
HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Winston has pulled the back leg muscle a couple of times, too. If you ever saw my boy play, you'd understand why this happens. He usually gets over it in a couple of days. I have leftover pain meds from his one incident that I use when he is particularly bad. Really, my vet said he is just a hyper dog who doesn't know how big he is and he plays too hard (especially now that we have a 1 year old basset, too).

That said, if the pain is especially bad and doesn't seem to be getting better, a vet trip is warranted just to make sure all is well. Otherwise, wait it out.

Molly McFreckles' World:
The adventures of a Basset Hound living with Addison's Disease and a baby brother named Winston
MollyMcFrecklesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Porter is limping too. It started this morning. He refuse to put any weight on his front left paw. The vet just told me to watch and wait for a few days since is there no sign of pain when the paw is touched. He looks so sad, even more sad than usual, limping around the house. which makes me super sad and worried...
LY909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement