Need help with crying basset - Page 4 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #31 (permalink)

Just an update for everyone, I am super desperate.

He continues to whine, worse than ever. I took him to the vet, and it was no help. Unless scooter is sleeping hes crying. He crys even while I pet him. My entire family hates him. They are all insane dog people, but no one can stand scooter, I am the only person fighting to keep him. I am not sure what else I cam do, its starting to cause family issues, to the point where we are being forced out of the house because no one can stand the never ending crying any more. /

I am scared to death about the idea of giving him away, because I am scared that he will be abused (I have already witnessed dog loving people being extremely mean to him behind my back, it just wears on you. After hearing it all night and all day, you cant concentrate, you cant have a conversation, you feel like your on the edge of screaming at all times)

Does anyone else have some suggestions? I am super desperate.
Truant19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #32 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
I have already witnessed dog loving people being extremely mean to him behind my back
don't need to say ANY MORE you have a very insecure dog with appearantly a reason to be.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #33 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If everyone else in the house hates him, and people are being abusive to him, then I'd suggest it's time to contact a rescue and try to find him a new home. I doubt his anxiety will get any better under current conditions.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #34 (permalink)

where do you live truant?
Let's get you in contact with a rescue!
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #35 (permalink)

I agree with Soundtrack and Esther. I appreciate how a Basset whining can get to you big time (and for sure, squirting him with water/lemon isn't an answer and could well make matters worse) I think the time has probably come for him to go to a home where he's going to be the only dog, with experienced Basset people who can spend time getting inside his head. I can't remember the circumstances of him coming to you, but for sure, Bassets are like elephants in that they never forget so if he had a bad start in life, something in his past has brought him to this. It is a pity if he can't stay with you because so often the boys particularly just go from home to home, picking up new unwanted stuff and getting worse with every move.

Perhaps putting him into a crate for a quiet time might help him to understand carrying on isn't going to get him anywhere and that there will be a time for him, and a time that's NOT for him. In other words maybe getting tough with him may bring him round
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #36 (permalink)

So I just read this post fast so might have missed something. He sounds like Maddie, she would do this when we first got her allot. She still does it some but, she is a very active 13 year old now.

We have had her about a year and a half. She just wants to be on the go all the time and I think that's what you have here. Does he settle a bit after going on a long hike?

But I agree with the rest it is too late for the rest of them to not be mean to him now and it has gotten to be a bigger problem because he knows they don't like him.

Can you move out on your own? That would be the best thing other wise you will have to re home him.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Super Moderator

FWIW, I once had a whining Basset, and I was also advised to squirt lemon juice in his mouth. It didn't make a bit of difference, and I suspect that's because the dog didn't even realize he was whining, and certainly he didn't connect it with the squirt.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #38 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
FWIW, I once had a whining Basset, and I was also advised to squirt lemon juice in his mouth. It didn't make a bit of difference, and I suspect that's because the dog didn't even realize he was whining, and certainly he didn't connect it with the squirt.
Had alot of advice over the years, some I think about & try, some just off the wall/scale & occassionaly just cruel. Perhaps a little OTT but if I wouldn't do it to another human, won't do it to a dog. Lemon into the mouth or mixed with water & squirted into the face comes into the last category.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #39 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Myrtle, OTOH, loved the lemon juice and would go lick Doc's lips.

This was over 20 years ago, squirting lemon juice into the mouth was pretty mild compared to a lot of the techniques that were common then.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzo View Post
So I just read this post fast so might have missed something. He sounds like Maddie, she would do this when we first got her allot. She still does it some but, she is a very active 13 year old now.

We have had her about a year and a half. She just wants to be on the go all the time and I think that's what you have here. Does he settle a bit after going on a long hike?

But I agree with the rest it is too late for the rest of them to not be mean to him now and it has gotten to be a bigger problem because he knows they don't like him.

Can you move out on your own? That would be the best thing other wise you will have to re home him.
Yes, he calms down a bit after a hike because he sleeps.

And I just wanted to clarify, when I say people are being mean to him, I mean like locking him out of the room where people are visiting, locking him in his cage, pushing and yelling at him etc.. no one is hurting him.

We are moving out soon, and I think that will help. Were in a house with 4 dogs right now, and I think its just to much for him. The place were moving to has a nice fenced yard with a doggie door, and were going to make him a nice alone area that's all his for sleeping.

I was in a stressed out place when I wrote that post, I feel better about the situation now.
Truant19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement