Need help with crying basset - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

in our house that's the :

1. I want what's on the counter whine
2. I want to go chase squirrels whine
3. I want on the sofa whine
4. I just feel like whining whine

3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

It may be this is a learned condition he picked up before he got to you.I have a friend in Ridgebacks whose dog whined all the time and she was told to use a spray bottle with lemon juice in it to squirt him in the mouth when he starts but you need to give a command when you do this,like "STOP" , "NO" etc.Remember they are not deaf so you don't need to yell just say it sternly.You may want to water down straight lemon juice a little bit and just a squirt with the stream not the spray so you don't get his eyes.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

that would make me go insane.
poor scooter.
poor you!
DumDumDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #24 (permalink)

I wouldn't call that crying, per se, just some minor whining. It can make a person nuts though.

Maddie does this, when she wants to call our attention to something, like she's out of water, or the cat won't let her get water [cat only drinks Maddie's water] she wants to go for a walk, she wants attention. Yours may just require more attention too.

I would get a checkup at the veterinary, just to be safe, but it may not be a bad idea to put him in his crate in a dark, quiet room once a day. Don't make it seem like punishment, but just tell him, 'go to bed?' in a happy voice. He may just get a bit stressed and needs down time.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #25 (permalink)

See scooter I wanna give you cuddle my joey does this when anyone leaves the room. He loves being around people so I think scooter just wants more attention. Don't give him away though just give him lots of cuddles xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #26 (permalink)

Bogie whines like that as well, but not constantly thank heavens!!!It's usually when he wants attention for some reason:
*A cat run ran across the yard and he wants to go out.
*I just need to be loved and petted RIGHT NOW!
*About 10 minutes before chow time, and boy does he have an accurate clock. He eats around 6:30 AM, 5:00 PM, and at 9:00PM to avoid empty tummy syndrome over night.
*Where did you go? When he has lost us in the house.
ETC.
Bogie is the most vocal dog we have ever owned. All types of whines, groans, moans, whimpers, grumbles, low growling noise to alert us if someone pulls in the drive way,and my husband can talk to him and he will answer back. Really funny. He barks or howls very rarely!!!

Try ignoring by turning your back and walking away whenever the behavior starts. Every family member will have to do this constantly. It has worked with Bogie.
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kbasset View Post
in our house that's the :

1. I want what's on the counter whine
2. I want to go chase squirrels whine
3. I want on the sofa whine
4. I just feel like whining whine

i think we have a winner (whiner?)
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #28 (permalink)

You have left out the "I'm back from the vet after having 2 masses removed, and my anal glands flushed and packed and I'M MILKING IT FOR ALL IT'S WORTH crying"

Frankie was 'done' on Monday and by Tuesday afternoon I was lurching between wanting to KILL HIM and being really worried To the point I took him back to the vet. Nothing was found to be wrong, nothing - he was given Tramadol and some tablets called Kalm-Aid. For him - not me although boy was I tempted. I've had lumps and AGs done with how-many hounds before this boy, but never have I had such a continual racket. He had 2 Trams last evening, but it made no difference. The Kalm-Aid seemed to help a little, but because I'd had virtually no sleep Monday night, and only about 5 hours on Tuesday night, I was feeling cani-cidal and so moved him from alongside my bed, into the kitchen last night, with hubby on the sofa to keep an eye on what he was up to re his stitches. I can't crate him because of where the incisions are (base of tail)

He has quietened down a little as today went on but if you want crying Basset ..... would you like mine
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It may be this is a learned condition he picked up before he got to you.I have a friend in Ridgebacks whose dog whined all the time and she was told to use a spray bottle with lemon juice in it to squirt him in the mouth when he starts but you need to give a command when you do this,like "STOP" , "NO" etc.Remember they are not deaf so you don't need to yell just say it sternly.You may want to water down straight lemon juice a little bit and just a squirt with the stream not the spray so you don't get his eyes.

There is nothing kind or smart about squirting a dog in the face/mouth with water, especially containing lemon! They're not stupid (god forbid you should get it in his eyes), he'll pick up on the movement very quickly, know where it comes from & more than likely associate an unpleasant experience with being close to you. For a dog that sounds if he's suffering from some form of anxiety, throwing water in his face isn't going to help.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #30 (permalink)

@esther: . while sitting at the vet hospital recently with sophie, she was whimpering/whining .... after a bit people started staring. I just smiled and said "she's a hound dog". They laughed and we got one elvis imitation.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement