new to forum - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up new to forum

Hello all I have a year old basset hound named Sam and he's on the way to becoming a great hunting dog. He is getting better at scent tracking and flushing, but this basset will also retrieve! Since upland game bird season opened on Sept. 15 he has already found, flushed and retrieved 2 grouses in once trip out. I am having trouble getting him to focus on rabbits when out in the field, he likes to find grouse instead. This is fine during bird season but I need rabbit meat to feed my family during the closed seasons. I haven't had a basset before Sam but have always wanted one. The last hunting dogs I ran were a black lab and a chocolate lab but they were mainly waterfowl dogs with a little skill chasing upland birds. I know bassets are stubborn so will this issue be resolved in time? Any any help/input would be great!
saskbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hmmm.....you may need a second basset - one for birds and one for bunnies!
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Planning on getting a female soon but with two young dogs in the house and one the size of a small horse at 8 months old I probably should wait a little while :P would like a pack of 4+ bassets in the near future once we move from our 1 arcre place in our hamlet (not enough ppl to even get village status!) to a farm. Only problem is I'm a dog lover and love many breeds and want to get a rottie, bloodhound, wolfhound, blue tick hound and another lab. They all have to work in one way or another be it hunting or guarding my property and family, I had to deal with house dogs my parents had growing up and had too keep my dogs at the farm an hour away, my dogs hunted/watched livestock and guarded the farm, the house dogs just bark at everything and are useless in my own opinion. I wanna find another basset owner around here to get Sam running in a pack and maybe this would help him focus his attention.

Last edited by saskbasset; 09-19-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Can't help you with the hunting but welcome to the forum....am amazed that he actually retrieves....pretty sure mine could find and flush but really can't picture him bringing me back anything. Now my beagle....she's a born hunter and those bunnies wouldn't have a chance. Someone will be along to help you...
Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

what if anything have you done to train him on rabbits ? Very few people use basset for birds however they will track about anything id there is something in it for them and for many it is just the thrill of the chase. So it may be a matter of what is more plentifull and easier to chase at this point in the season and the terratory you are at. However if the dog has no experience at rabbit hunting it is not going to magical turn on the swich when it smell one because the scent means nothing to the dog. General most get the dog involved in sight chaces and when they lose the rabbit then the dog will look to use it nose. Coupleing the dog in training and hunting with a more experience rabbit dog need not be a basset can help as well
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rabbits are in decent numbers around here and the forest we go hunting/camping/fishing is overflowing with them. I have went out and shot a rabbit, brought it home and dragged it around the yard and let him find it, which he does very well. I have rubbed his toys on the rabbit to get him used to the scent as well. I never trained him to go for birds, we were just out in the field training and he was trailing a rabbit and was about 30 yrds from it. Then he got a new scent turned and ran straight into the brush and out came 3 prairie chickens, since then every time we go out he does good but if he smells birds he focus's right to them. I have never heard of another basset doing this?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

see the recent thread

My hound thinks he's a bird dog!!
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just want to say "HI". Can't help with the hunting stuff. The only thing my two hunt (actually they "herd") is their Daddy into the kitchen for bacon and eggs (they have trained him well)
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnfr View Post
Just want to say "HI". Can't help with the hunting stuff. The only thing my two hunt (actually they "herd") is their Daddy into the kitchen for bacon and eggs (they have trained him well)
city girls here without too much hunting options although we did watch a red-tailed hawk swoop down and pick up a little critter and eat it in a tree on our walk in the field.

Make that, I watched the hak while the girls smelled pee like from a triceratops millions of years ago
Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnfr View Post
city girls here without too much hunting options although we did watch a red-tailed hawk swoop down and pick up a little critter and eat it in a tree on our walk in the field.

Make that, I watched the hawk while the girls smelled pee likely from a triceratops millions of years ago
Advertisement