howdy folks - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default howdy folks

howdy guys, this is charlie:

I think he's around 7-8months old now, got him in december and everthings been going well.

we recently enrolled him in the pets mart doggie class, however it did not solve the problems we've been having with him so i've came here to ask your advice.

1) hes an ankle biter. horrible, horrible ankle biter. it tends to only be when he wants something, but anyone got any tips for discouraging this?

2) general discipline, he steals food and bites is mainly the only issues. he managed to steal a turkeyleg off the counter last week. boy oh boy was that fun. took me 15 minutes to catch him in the yard with it.

another interesting thing ive noticed: he runs sideways. is that normal? his body almost forms a U when running at times.
cerjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Charlie looks like he has an attitude ha ha!! Cannoli bites our feet when she really wants to get our attention. Just another way she communicates As far as stealing food, if it is within reach and unattended, well its fair game.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
he's around 7-8months old now ... hes an ankle biter. horrible, horrible ankle biter. it tends to only be when he wants something, but anyone got any tips for discouraging this?
Puppy Biting - Have Patience

Biting Pant Legs & Ankles

Puppy adolecesnts

Quote:
. it tends to only be when he wants something
The Cure For Attention Seeking Behaviour Disorders

Quote:
, he steals food ... he managed to steal a turkeyleg off the counter last week. boy oh boy was that fun. took me 15 minutes to catch him in the yard with it.
It is the nature of all scent hound they are always hungery no matter how much they are fed. My personal theory is it is a result of selective breeding for persestance in hunting. Think of it this way which is going to make the better hunter all other things being equal the dog that is full after eating or the one that is always hungry? You simply need to be dillegent with food because it is not a behavior that you will stop given that the reward for stealing is so high you can not ethically punish the behavior stong enough to prevent the behavior.

Quote:
another interesting thing ive noticed: he runs sideways. is that normal?
without seeing I wound say no it is not normal, does not mean there is anything wrong however

Last edited by Mikey T; 05-20-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

LOL! I would never have guessed from that photo that he's a troublemaker (sarcasm intended). So cute and yet devilish looking!
Lightning&Stomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Love that photo - that dudes got 'rude

Monty used to be a leg nibbler and ankle chaser but he grew out of it once he stopped teething - thankfully!

Last edited by loopylou; 05-22-2012 at 03:16 PM.
loopylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

He is adorable.
I don't have much advice, just to not give up on him. Good luck and keep loving on that sweet looking boy.
Abbie (Abbigail) - Cat 4

Clifford - Cat 7
Sister to:
Norman - Golden Retriever
Niki - Husky
Miracle - Cat

Duke (golden) and Luke (cat) still in my heart.
squirmy_wurmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

He does carry that "bad boy" look perfectly! Welcome to a great group of bassets and their peeps! No words of wisdom on the ankle biting. Once Daisy learned bite inhibition, she moved on to counter surfing and stealing unattended food and drink. She can open a can of Coke with the best of em!
bethrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Try some Bitter Apple on your ankles.Wash it off later.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Bitter Apple on your ankles
never understood the suggest of using bitter -apple etc all mine have found it to be a condiment adding more flavor to tha which hey like to chew only increasing attractiveness. Hence fom Puppy Mouthing
Quote:
We can't ever just say if a dog is doing X behavior that a handler should always do Y handling technique. It just never is that black and white.
Its all about probabilities. If a dog does X behavior and the response is Y technique than we can often say there is a high probability of a particular response happening with most dogs. There are some fundamental things that are very high probability that apply to many dogs that do nothing or get a completely opposite response from other dogs.
Run away there is a good chance the average dog will follow or chase. Squat down or make little cooing noises then the probability is high they will come closer. But you must always take into account the dog's personality, relationship, situation, current emotional and mental state, temperament and history.
Run away from another dog and them may take you down with a bite in the butt. Squat down for and make cooing sounds with an abused fear biter and you may loose your nose.
It looks complicated when plotting it out but in general people have a much better feel for what the dog's probabilities for certain things are then they do in applying that knowledge to specific situations.
90% of the time if I clearly define something for owners and ask what their dog will likely do, they have a wonderfully detailed knowledge of what their dog will probably do. But most people don't look at the perimeters objectively or with clarity and worse they fall into a pattern of waiting until the dog has done the thing they don't want that they knew was probably going to happen. They then respond to what the dog did even though they could have predicted the Undesired response a week ahead of time.

Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

"that dudes got 'rude "
LOLOLOLOL!!!!! I'm totally stealing that saying!
Lightning&Stomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement