Help help help!!! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help help help!!!

hello everyone i'm new to this forum so would like to say hello!!

I have a major problem with my 8 month basset hound (called boris).

Please could someone help or advise me on some things? the reason why i ask is because if boris doesn't get any better my fiancee said that he has to go !!

Problem 1: every morning since we have had him, he is up whining at 4:40am, i wake up and go down stairs to let him out for a wee or poo and he doesn't, i then try and go back up stairs to sleep but he won't stop whining until someone goes downstairs. I would ignore him but we have neighbours.

problem 2: even if i go for a shower or go out for 30 min he wee's on the floor, I wouldn't mind if he wasn't potty trained but he is, it seems like he does it on purpose just to make me and my fiancée angry.

I know this sounds like a normal puppy but it is getting my fiancee down and I don't want to get rid off him, we are taking him to the vet soon to get "the snip", will that help?

please help me cause i don't want to say goodbye to boris

thank you

ben
benlotfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well, first, I wouldn't let a fiance or anyone else dictate to me about keeping my pet over minor behavior issues, or even major ones, unless the pet was a danger. Wouldn't happen.

How long have you had Boris? Is he crate trained? We used a crate for our dog to sleep in for the first year we had her. We would also put her in the crate when we left the house. She didn't cry at night, and after a while, she would go inside on her own to sleep. [we left the door open.]

If she cried when in the crate, she was ignored. She stopped when she got no 'reward' i.e. attention. We started leaving her out of the crate when gone for longer and longer periods, then finally stopped closing the door and putting her in the crate at night. Then we sold the crate.

I took her out on leash to pee, and would keep her out until she went. I got up every 2 hours at night for the first 3 months we had her; we got her at 8 weeks old.

Bassets are pretty unique dogs; I did some research about them while waiting to bring ours home. They are stubborn, and need good training to behave. I'm not an expert, but they don't react well to being yelled at or mistreated, or to being moved from home to home. I hadn't had a d0g for over 20 years when we got our Maddie, and I had NO idea how high maintenance they can be, especially puppies.

However, at 5 years old now, I can happily say that Maddie has never peed in the house once she was house trained, she's only chewed a digital pen and some Chinese money, has never chewed shoes, etc., and she seldom barks when outside, so doesn't annoy the neighbors.

If Boris were my dog, I would ignore him crying at night; [you said he doesn't need to go out when he does this at 4AM, correct? If so, it sounds like he wants attention.] When you get up, he's getting rewarded for the whining, and he will continue it. I would get a crate and train him to sleep in it, and ignore whining until he realizes it gets him nowhere.

Dogs are high maintenance, and it takes time to teach them the rhythm of the household; I hope your fiance works with you and Boris, rather than pushing you to get rid of him. All you need is time and work and patience, and Boris will reward you 1000 times over.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
even if i go for a shower or go out for 30 min he wee's on the floor, I wouldn't mind if he wasn't potty trained but he is,
sorry much you are simply making assumption that are not true if he were potty trained that would not happen quite simply you have a management system in place that prevent accidents in other situation but that does not mean the dog is potty trained. If you can not supervise the dog crate it .

The reason the dog gets up at 4.40 whine etc is because ot works it is an attention seeking behavior that has been successful for him The most often givien advice for this type behavior is to ignore it on the premise of a extinction. That is a behavior that is not rewarded will eventually end. This is true but there are a number of interceeding factors the general make this impractical.

1. if it were that easy to ignore it would have already happened that is ignoring the behavior.

2. a phenomenom know as an extinct burst general occcurs when try to extiguish any previously rewarded behavior. It simply does not fade away easily. The most often used example is the elvator. You go in the elavator push the button for your floor and reward by the elavator taking you their. So you go in to a broken elavator push the button and notthing happen do you imeadeatly walk out an take the stairs? No you push the putton over and over again harder, faster, slower try a different floor, etc before giving up. and then the next day you will do it again all over again. That is an extinction burst . When ignoring a previous.ly rewardeed behavior it will get worse for a short period of time much worse.

for an alternative approach see: Harmoney Programme
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
we are taking him to the vet soon to get "the snip", will that help?
Nueter only helps with behaviors related to sex hormones none of these behaviors are so No it will not help.
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hey benlofti, here's a question: Do you exercise Boris? How often does he go for walks and when do you usually take him?
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would say lose the fiance, keep the dog :P One of my favorite qualities in my husband is his patience and loyalty with our dogs.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am with Lucia! My husband is completely "puppy whipped" (as it should be!).

As suggested, try the crate training, etc as advised. You need patience, bassets can be a bit stubborn. I found that both of mine respond much better to positive reinforcement (food) than scolding.
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

My basset is social. He prefers to be around people or other dogs if people are not available. He sleeps in the room with us and we do not have any whining issues. Perhaps moving his crate into your room might help.

Crate training would certainly help. If your dog was truly potty trained you wouldn't have accidents when you used the shower or went out. Instead of letting him run free, crate him when you shower or go out.
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Even at 8 months he can relapse potty training.Mabe he was better but now isn't then you need to start over.Try to tire him out,by playing with him before bedtime. Be sure he gets a few good walks in.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
Nueter only helps with behaviors related to sex hormones none of these behaviors are so No it will not help.
she human has been wanting this taken care of on he human for years.
stoopid sex hormones
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement