Swimming - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Swimming

Copper started taking an aquatics class yesterday for a couple reasons: 1) we live right next to a lake and I wanted to make sure he could swim fine, 2) since our last foster left, he's been moping and needed more activity, 3) I wanted to do something with him.

He wasn't particularly thrilled with the activity, but he did doggie paddle just fine across the canine pool. He ignored all the toys they threw for him. But the coordinator said he did much better than some of their labs they've had. He tried to "cheat" a few times and paddle to the nearest side rather than paddling across.

Here are a couple pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Swimming-look-ma-i-can-swim.jpg   Swimming-swimming.jpg  
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Cute!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow, way to go, Copper, that is so cool!!

I wish I could do something like that with Moses, but he does not care for the water. I tried taking him swimming in the pool a few times when he was younger, just carrying him in my arms or pushing him around on the raft, but he was definitely not into it. Copper looks like he is doing quite well, though!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

That is just too cute. I'm wondering how my Buford would do with something like that. The other night it was raining harder than I've seen in years and he was out sniffing around completely oblivious to the fact he was soaking wet.
Shortstack1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Completely adorable pictures!

Do they (bassets in general) seem to like little kiddie pools at all? Ones that are pretty shallow that they don't have to swim in? I thought about this summer maybe getting a little one for Tillie but wasn't sure if she would be into such a thing or not.
lsdragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdragon76 View Post
Completely adorable pictures!

Do they (bassets in general) seem to like little kiddie pools at all? Ones that are pretty shallow that they don't have to swim in? I thought about this summer maybe getting a little one for Tillie but wasn't sure if she would be into such a thing or not.
I guess it depends on the basset. Some float, some sink because of the dense bones so I bought a life jacket for him.

Not sure if he would prefer a kiddie pool, but the pool he was in was about waist high on a humin.
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm a great swimmer. My hoominz go to the grandhoominz's house to swim all the time in the summertime. I spent puh-LENTY of time at the pool last summer. They wanted to make sure I 1) didn't sink and 2) could find my way to the stairs at the wall everytime--in case I decided to inadvertently plunge sometime...

Now let it be known that I don't get in voluntarily, but when I DO get it I haul...

However, I must say I look a LOT better just sunbathing...
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

It depends on the Basset! Millie will go out in the rain, and plays in the small plastic kiddie pool. Lucy tried to murder me after I dragged her into the pool last summer, and refuses to go out in the rain unless she has her raincoat on.

I wish there was something like that here! I would love to take Millie swimming!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I love sunbathing bassets, I would buy a coffee table book of sunbathing bassets if somebody would make it LOL
Old 03-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Do they (bassets in general) seem to like little kiddie pools at all? Ones that are pretty shallow that they don't have to swim in?
it is a rare basset that swims or enjoys kiddie pools
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement