Extra-small Basset? - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

Not all breeders(I use that term lightly) breed to the standard ,reputable breeders try to stay within the guidelines of the standard, but if people think there is a way to make an extra dollar ....well
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

We just adopted a rescue female. She was found wandering the streets of Baja, Mexico. They estimate that she is 10 months. She was 30lbs when we got her, now a month later she is at 35. Still the smallest basset we have owned by quite a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Extra-small Basset?-tkk_5255-web-s.jpg  

Last edited by sbradley02; 12-07-2012 at 05:37 PM.
sbradley02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #23 (permalink)

Molly is a cutie. Benson seems small, but he is a bit bigger than her. E that is a great picture of you and CB.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

My adult bassets (Jake & Abby) have always weighed between 55-65 lbs. The vet has always been happy with their weight... not chubby, not skinny, just right. Ellie is still small, but she is only 5 months old, so she has growing to do. She is almost as "long" as Jake, just shorter and not as muscular.

If your vet is happy with the size and weight, I wouldn't worry too much.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #25 (permalink)

Like Soundtrack said I remember years ago a lot of them coming into the rescue then it just seemed like as fast as they came I stopped seeing them. Either way yours is cute as a button and I think as long as shes healthy it would be like having a puppy forever

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (dont tell him though he thinks hes a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound RIP 2000 ~ 2011 Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #26 (permalink)

sophie (also a rescue) is small. she's about 28 or so pounds at 15 months. her mom (also rescue..pregnant when rescued, hence sophie) was also small, maybe 30ish pounds. the daddy, who knows.

easy to carry though!

Last edited by 3kbasset; 12-07-2012 at 10:46 PM.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by its mle View Post
The breeder that I bought Bertha from was also selling a litter of "miniature Bassets". Super cute, but a lot more expensive!

If I recall correctly, I think she said they had the same dad as Bertha, but a miniature mom.

Seeing as where you're from Bertha, I wonder if we came from the same breeder. And not only that but I bet there's a chance we have the same dad, the way you are describing it!

Soundtrack, now you have seen (well seen pics in my case) at least two mini bassets recently.

I am also one of those "mini Bassets" by design-- that's how it was explained to my person-- and my mom was a mini Basset, bred with the same Dad as other litters at the time.

my person clearly did not research the subject enough. since the breeder was telling her this, she thought that mini bassets were just a type of basset. well, come to think of it, coming from the world of dachshunds before, it only made sense. In the dachshund world, there are standard size ones and mini ones. so she thought it was the same in basset hounds. so yeah, breeder explained that a "mini basset" is exactly what she is looking for, since she is in an apartment.

lol... here I am!!! tho i'm not as small as some of you. i hang out in the 39-41 lb range.

btw, Molly is absolutely adorable!! she has good proportions and if you didn't tell us how small she was, we imagine her to be a typical basset.

Estha, as always your pics and with CB are so great.
--Worm
Old 12-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopylou View Post
Oh E - you sooo pretty!

Love the piccie of you & your bro, you look so cosy.

Montee's got the hots for big E!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post
We just adopted a rescue female. She was found wandering the streets of Baja, Mexico. They estimate that she is 10 months. She was 30lbs when we got her, now a month later she is at 35. Still the smallest basset we have owned by quite a lot.
She's very pretty! Congratulations to you both.
With mine they took around 2-3 years for their full blossom.

CB and Esther you are gorgeous. Love the snuggling.

I'd never heard of mini Bassets but looked at the puppy finder link that Worm posted and saw a breeder advertising them along with French,European and US Basset "styles" the things these people do

Margot is our little one, she only weighs 53 lbs. We call her seal pup. Is and Lu weigh 65lbs - we consider them size medium.

Last edited by shakespeare; 12-08-2012 at 02:36 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #30 (permalink)

As you'll have seen here, Bassets can indeed come in all sizes (and sadly shapes too). I think from the photo of your Basset, she looks like a really nice one, even if she's small and for that reason I'm wondering too whether she's a product of a breeder who is deliberately breeding 'miniature Bassets'. Yuck. I remember having a furious argument with the husband of a fellow breeder out in Canada (who actually bred quite small bassets compared to mine in any case). He seemed to like the idea of producing a basset that wasn't up to Standard. Hum Thankfully they never did this.

Not that small Bassets can't be perfectly good as pets and lead happy lives, maybe without the same stresses and strains on joints and bones as those who are overly big and heavy!! Most of my girls have been around the upper 60lb range with the boys mainly 70 and up. Mine were the product of a combination of English, American and Canadian bloodlines. My current one here, who I didn't breed, weighs in, at age 3 years now, at 38 kg (you do the math conversion) and for sure, he's about as much as I can handle when it comes to bath-time - and getting into the car. His grandmother was imported into the UK from Italy. He has some Dutch breeding on his sire's side - and the Dutch hounds are generally BIG. He also carries a line on his dam's side back to one of my bigger Canadian-bred hounds.

Last edited by FranksMum; 12-09-2012 at 09:07 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement