Why??? - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #21 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonny01 View Post
How Exciting
Sadly I don't think we'd be accepted, because I go out to work every day, so I've explained that I don't ever leave Bella more than 4hrs on her own because I always go home for lunch, I changed my work hours so I could do this for my puppy surprise xmas present, good thing I have an understanding boss.

I have everything crossed they'll decide in my favour.
nuttypigs is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #22 (permalink)

Also, I think too many people are in love with the idea of a puppy without wanting to handle puppy behavior. If you don't want to go through a chewing phase (or at least decrease the likelihood) adopt or buy an adult dog.
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This is why I try to scare people off when they are interested in getting a pup(whether from me or from somewhere else) if they haven't had one before, especially a Basset. I talk about all the horrible things puppies do. I talk about the negatives of the breed (shedding, slobber everywhere, hard to housebreak etc). I tell stories of "bad" things my dogs have done (like raiding the fridge, opening doors, getting into the flour and spreading it ALL OVER THE KITCHEN).

I figure by the time I'm done with them, if they still want a puppy they'll probably be good owners....
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

I had to go through about three hours of interview style conversations with the Basset Hound Club of Scotland before I was matched to a pup. I then spoke to the breeder to make sure she was happy and only then was I allowed to take Monty. They were very thorough, making sure I understood the breed, health issues and also checking out my lifestyle and if I had things in place to make sure he wasn't just left alone in the house all day. They were super thorough and some people i have told make fun of it and say "what? for a dog?" but if more people had to go through this then there'd be less people like that woman constantly buying and selling's dogs because it "wasn't right".

People need to understand that it's a life changing decision. Sorry for that rant but it annoys me!
loopylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

My friends say when they come back for a second life that they want to come back as one of my dogs!
eclairs mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #26 (permalink)

That's what my vet said to me once.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #27 (permalink)

You said you look on THIS forum for puppies for sale. I have not seen any advertised on here.Am I missing something?
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbad View Post
You said you look on THIS forum for puppies for sale. I have not seen any advertised on here.Am I missing something?

I don't think they meant this forum specifically, more of a general term like "so I went to this restaurant down the street and...."
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

Never understood the "too needy" excuse. Is it really that much of a problem if your dog follows you around?
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirska View Post
Never understood the "too needy" excuse. Is it really that much of a problem if your dog follows you around?
I actually don't mind when mine follow me around. I do draw the line at the bathroom, though. One houndie was a little tight, two of them...

I got Boomer as a puppy, and I can honestly say as much as I love him, and how cute basset puppies are, I don't want to have another puppy again. That's why I looked for a dog around his age, and found my Biscuit, and I'm so glad I have her; she is an absolute doll.

And how many people have come on this board saying they want to get a basset PUPPY, PUPPY, PUPPY when there are so many adults that need a loving home?

To me, it makes the adopters a kind of puppy mill. Get a puppy, it grows up, oops, it's not as cute anymore, get rid of it and get another puppy. Over and over and over.

I'm sorry if I'm ranting, but when I adopted Biscuit not knowing her background and why she was dumped, I'm more aware of the problem, and it makes me sad for all those dogs whose "owners" who get rid of a them just because it's no longer a puppy.

Kudos to the folks here lately that are adopting or looking at adopting an adult!

<end rant>

Last edited by Boomer's Mom; 02-23-2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Spelling error; my grandma was a teacher, and I know she is looking down on my typing, LOL!
Boomer's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement