Meet Roscoe the Rescued Basset - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Meet Roscoe the Rescued Basset

We finally got to go pick up the basset that needed rescuing! We met the people that were keeping him last night, about an hour and a half drive from home. Finally got the whole story. . . . He is a stray that was picked up by the dog catcher in a little one horse town. The dog catcher is only supposed to keep dogs for a week and then SHOOT THEM!! He didn't have the heart to put this guy down and his job was in jeopardy if he didn't get him gone. Friend of a friend heard the story and took him in until we could come pick him up.

He is so skinny, oh my gosh there is nothing sadder than a skinny basset. He is skin and bones. We had to pick him up to get him in and out of my XTerra and it almost made me cry. He's also got a big scrape on his nose from the wire pen they were keeping him in. Despite all he's been through though he is the sweetest dog. I am totally smitten with him. He also has the most amazing bark, so deep and beautiful.

We stopped by my house and he and Cannoli hit it off, she was so happy to meet another low dog. He got lots of loving and melted my fiances heart a little bit

He spent the night at my best friends house, got a bath and is going to the vet today to get a once over. He isn't nuetered, very obviously not nuetered my goodness LOL But we'll get him all fattened up, taken care of and ready to find a home. Our vet is a basset lover so there is a chance he'll take him himself, we'll see what happens and I'll keep you all updated.

Oh, we are calling him Roscoe! They didn't know his name. On the ride home we were discussing it and Roscoe came to all of us almost at the same moment, seemed like the right name for him for some reason.
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

My heavens, that poor boy. Glad he is finding his way to a better life. No chance Cannoli will get a brother?

Thank you for rescuing this guy!

Molly McFreckles' World:
The adventures of a Basset Hound living with Addison's Disease and a baby brother named Winston
MollyMcFrecklesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh I would keep him in a hot second, still may despite the fact that 4 dogs in my little place is insane. But hey, I love Bassets so it's a given I'm a little crazy right?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Bless you for doing all this....would be wonderful if the vet took him. Basset lovers are a different breed of people...so caring and compasionite.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Such a sweet face. Bless you for caring for him.
bethrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Truly heart warming. Here in Germany the local Animal Shelters are very reluctant to give Americans animals. Soldiers are a particularly bad breed when it comes to adopting and giving away their animals when it gets difficult or they realize that they cant just put Fluffy in the cupboard when they are finished playing with him/her.

When I was looking for a new family member I checked the shelters first and then the local American adds. Really made me sad to see some really beautiful animals passed from home to home. A 2 year old, Old English Bulldog... 4 families over 2 years. A Rhodisian Ridgback 3 families in 2 years, a 4 y/o Boxer 3 families in 2 years. I did not take any of these animals because of the nature of them to begin with and having been through so many hands.... dangerous for my little ones. It is try sad, each one of them will more than likely end up euthanized because they bite someone out of frustration or confusion.
ElvisPresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

That poor boy! Bless you for caring for him! Let us know how he does.
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

So cute!
Hopefully he gets fattened up and his nose heals quickly. I'm sure he already feels the love.
The pictures are great. Of the two of them it almost seems like one is looking in the mirror, nose to nose.
-wurmy
Abbie (Abbigail) - Cat 4

Clifford - Cat 7
Sister to:
Norman - Golden Retriever
Niki - Husky
Miracle - Cat

Duke (golden) and Luke (cat) still in my heart.
squirmy_wurmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

One of my college roommates was a farm girl, and she said it was common for people to drive out to the country to abandon dogs. They think they will just be able to fend for themselves. I'd like to just string people up by their short hairs who do this kind of thing.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Update: He is at the vet and was just weighed, he weighs 38 pounds. I knew he weighed less than Cannoli just from picking him up. One of the vet techs has a connection with a local Basset rescue and put us in touch with them, they don't have any foster homes so we'll be keeping him either at my place or my best friends but they'll help us find him a home.

I don't want to find him a home. I'm so in love with him. When my friend called and said she had talked to the guy at the rescue I felt like they are trying to take my dog away from me. Funny how quickly we can get attached =(
Advertisement