(new member) FRANTIC need help for my hurtin' hound - Page 8 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #71 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopylou View Post
I've thought this was scam from the start - someone playing on the love we have for our hounds. Not once has the dog's name been used and that's just weird. There is no reason why the info we have asked for should be kept private, I'm out and I'm ignoring I don't know about anyone else.
I disagree with there not being a reason for it to be private. Some people prefer to keep their location to the neighborhood private and giving away vet info also likely gives away location info.

I have been cyberstalked for far less. Denied an applicant to a video game guild and he looked up our home address and threatened physical harm. There are crazy people out there.

I'm not convinced either, certainly not to the point I'd consider donation $$ or anything, but I think it's a little harsh to throw this person aside and ignore them.

I will continue to give her the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Not like it costs us anything to read the posts and offer any suggestions we can come up with.

I'm the kind of person that it's very difficult to earn my trust, but it's also difficult to earn my distrust. Have not seen anything yet that would warrant my opinion either way.

Last edited by Kirska; 02-17-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #72 (permalink)
Super Moderator

A pity that instead of sending that long (and one would assume painful) message the OP didn't simply send me the requested info. I'm off for the weekend in 10 minutes, depending on the nature of the information I may not be able to check it out until Monday.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #73 (permalink)

Thats the thing thats worrying people. She seems intent on defending herself rather than the pup in her posts. I too will continue to read and will offer any advice I can and would never dismiss anything but the probability of sending cash. The thing is what advice can be offered other than see a vet which she cannot afford. That to me suggests that financial aid is whats needed here but without the relevant information who can do that? I know what is meant about security however, as the victim of being stalked (2008 for 12 months ended in a conviction) I know how scary it is to reveal anything about yourself online. However, a vet would never release sensitive information and would be within rights to deny patient info on the dog and simply issue a breakdown of costs. And although it may help locate an area it would be very difficult with only that to go on to find her. She wouldnt even have to give her name if the money is going to the vet surely it would be sufficiant to have the dogs name and DOB if payment is going to surgery. In my experience though, when you are desperate which, a sick pooch and an inibility to fund treatment may place you in that catagory, you become less suspicious and more willing as you simply want help. Added to the fact she hasnt sent the requested details to sound and yet was able to type a long ish post seems stranger still. Had it been me id have ignored the suspicion and gone straight to assist a potential source of help in giving her what she needs. If this turns out to be genuine ill eat my words and open my purse but Im not usually suspicious and yet something sits wrong with me. I would never berate and name call though and I really hope Im wrong as I hold faith in human kindness and incidents that arent genuine see it decline. As I say, prove to me as much as you can that this dog exists, is sick and in need and I will help you!
ALBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #74 (permalink)

.... not sure about this one .... red flags... red flags.... too vague for me ---- heck how many of us know people that need help!!!! How come we know almost nothing about the hound?????
paisleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #75 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
The thing is what advice can be offered other than see a vet which she cannot afford.
It was apparent pretty much from the first post that financial aid is what would be required. If the dog has been seeing a vet already, and the vet doesn't know what is going on, then it unlikely that a bunch of strangers on the internet who can't examine the dog will be able to supply a diagnosis - and even if we could it's probable that veterinary treatment would still be required. Once the OP confirmed that they were unable to obtain other forms of funding that were suggested (such as Care Credit) then really the only useful help we could offer would be financial. But that requires verifiable information which the OP seems reluctant to supply - we don't even know the gender of the OP, the name of the dog, or even if it's a basset!

Last edited by Soundtrack; 02-17-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #76 (permalink)

Thats right she merely referred to it as a hound to imply but not confirm the breed. Oh I dont know. As I say I hope so much I am being overly suspicious and she sends whats required and the pup gets help. If not how many will be reluctant when someone actually needs it? Ruins the process for others!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #77 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

If she/he's intention really was to scam us into giving them money, I would figure the information regarding how to provide this money would've already been given.

Hard to assume that they're just trying to get cash out of our pockets when they haven't even given us the info needed to give it to them.

Not to say that definitely isn't the intention, but to me it doesn't make sense.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #78 (permalink)

Yeah when you put it like that I agree. But what else could anyone have offered? Maybe there was a hope there than an offer would be made so no asking too place thus protecting herself from obtaining monies dishonestly. Youre a good one Kirska, rational and fair. I hope you are right I really really do. But then again I will feel bloody awful it turns out there is a dog in pain and all I did was question!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #79 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirska View Post
If she/he's intention really was to scam us into giving them money, I would figure the information regarding how to provide this money would've already been given.

Hard to assume that they're just trying to get cash out of our pockets when they haven't even given us the info needed to give it to them.

Not to say that definitely isn't the intention, but to me it doesn't make sense.
Because conditions under which people would be willing to donate (only directly to the vet, not to the poster) were set out early in the thread we have made it difficult for a scammer to actually collect simply by providing PayPal info or a PO box.

OTOH, if financial help for a houndie was needed, and all that was required for that help was to provide information privately so people could verify it and set up a means of paying the vet directly, would that information not have been provided by now? Which raises the suspicion that they are trying to figure out a way to provide information convincing enough for money to be sent. I'm familiar with internet scams, some of them are extremely sophisticated complete with fake websites to back up their claims. But the information I am requesting (name and contact info for vet) should be fairly easy to verify through multiple sources.

I'm willing to keep my mind open regarding this situation, but the beating around the bush is not sitting well with me.

Last edited by Soundtrack; 02-17-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #80 (permalink)

I think one could offer up details on the dog, its condition/issues, etc. without revealing much about the owner or the location. for me its has just been too vague. Not even basic info has been offered up. What is the dogs name, breed, medical issue... etc.
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement