(new member) FRANTIC need help for my hurtin' hound - Page 5 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #41 (permalink)

Thanks for the good suggestions! I didn't know that about the HS, and didn't even consider BH rescues! I kinda wondered myself if the extended use of Cephalexin was a good idea, but I figured if the vet thought it was OK-then it must be alright. You brought up some good points!
(Darn-I wish the message I was going to post earlier hadn't gotte wiped out, I'm afraid I'm going to forget an important point-ARGH!!!)
Anyway, 2nd opinions and tests are where I am now-but have reached the point where I've pretty much drained my resoursces-(maxed out credit cards [unable to get Care Credit], depleted my savings, carved holes in my 501k, sold pretty much whatever I can, and continually "rob Peter to pay Paul")and am (again scrambling) to make (yet another)late mortgage payment.
I'm on disability, so my income has been cut in half-and it's gotten to the point that I'm running out of hats I can pull rabbits from.
This all seemed to start a couple mopnths after she had her teeth cleaned and lump (cancerous) from her neck-last spring. It all began with moaning and groaning through the night when shifting positions, then from time to time wake from a dead sleep,jump out of her bed panting and seeming overheated-wanting to go outside, drink cold water and wanted chilled food. All the while fighting an ongoing perpetual ear infection-which the AB seemed to help, but never quite clear up (hence it's continued use). All the other symptoms were slowly cropping up, with the slightky distended stomach about a month ago. It almost seems like fluid retention as her collar has gotten tighter, her jowls seem a little floppier.
(to be cont'd-in hopefully an hour when meds start working again) Please stay with us-I want to provide as much info on her as I can, but my hands won;t let finish right now-we NEED YOU!!
Thank you for caring!!!
bassetdependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #42 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My opinion for what it's worth, since I am not a vet.

Since tests can't be done right now to determine the true problem, might as well attack the symptoms. Sounds like she is in pain - I would talk to your vet about a pain medication such as Meloxicam (generic version of the more expensive Metacam) or even Prednisone (since we're talking quality of life rather than long-term effects at this point, we just want her to be comfortable).

Chronic ear infections are frequently a sign of allergies. Unless you can figure out what the allergies are the infection will keep coming back. A change in diet *might* help. Since the antibiotics are not doing the trick, either discontinue completely or try a different one. Show your vet this http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/Adob...0Treatment.pdf as it worked for my dog when nothing else did.

Depending on what type of cancer was removed, it's possible that it may have metastasized to the abdomen or elsewhere in the body.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #43 (permalink)

We'd really like to help you with advice on what you can do but if you could give us the following information, we could do some research and find out what would work for you and your pup.
1. your name
2. dogs name
3. name and location of vet clinic and vet's name
We hate to see anyone/dog suffer and it seems like you both are in need.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #44 (permalink)

Default Why do I keep getting logged out before I'm ready to post?

%@&*!!!

My previous long posts (in large text) I did in Word pad and did a copy & paste-I made the mistake of doing my last couple right here in the "reply to thread" and by the time I get done and send, my msg gets wiped out lost cuz I've gotten logged out!!!!!

. . . .back to Wordpad, and retyping all over AGAIN . . . .

>>>>sigh . . . . . . .<<<<<
Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #45 (permalink)

(this is a test post)
Old 02-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #46 (permalink)

Forgive me if I come across rude-I'm just ====SO==== FRUSTRATED having to retype my posts-especially since I spend my "ON" time typing, then by the time I'm ready to post, my meds are starting to wear off-only to find my post was totally wiped out!!!
OK here goes:
Would overuse of AB's cause fluid retention / slightly bloated belly? How quick would PB's start doing their thing?
Would changing food at this point help? (gradually of course) and what brand?
. . . . GEEZ, now all my other questions have slipped my mind!!!
Anyway-PLEASE stick with us-knowing you guys care is helping me hang onto what feels like a fraying thread!!!
In short:
*She IS eating/drinking
*She IS urinating/ defecating (no diahrea-stools appear normal)
*No vomting
*Other than looking/acting very uncomfortable-nothing else is clearly obvious
* She is 11 or 12 yo spayed, never had pups. Was hit by a car when young (before I adopted)
*Being fed Kirkland brand senior lamb & rice
Old 02-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #47 (permalink)

Also-do I dare give her some baby aspirin?I kinda feel like what have I got to lose?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #48 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

fwwiw worth most ear infeections are yeast not bacteria based so an antibiotic is not effective and if it is a bacteria often times it is a gram-negaitive bacteria for which traditional antibiotics are ineffective see the following

Pseudomonas Otitis Treatment and Prognosis
A practical guide to diagnosing and managing ear problems in dogs
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #49 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

[quote]Being fed Kirkland brand senior lamb & rice[/.quote]

most senior formulas do more harm than good for older dogs. most contain reduced protein level when onder dog need up to 50 % more protein then young adult dogs. most increase carbohydrates and reduce fat for lowere calory count but dogs are much better at using fat as a fuel source so calories are best controled by the amount of food put in the bowl.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Actually, the Kirkland Mature food (at least the chicken variety) looks like it has HIGHER protein - 27%. Nutrition For Senior Furry Family Members - Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Food - Chicken, Rice & Egg (40 pounds) - Epinions.com

Not sure if this is similar to the one you are feeding, I can't find the information on it. So while in most cases a "senior" food is to be avoided, this one actually looks appropriate.

But if she has a food allergy, you may need to try a different protein source and/or a different brand. Hard to say which, there is no food that is perfect for every dog.

I wouldn't give the baby asprin without checking with the vet to see if there are contraindications.

Quote:
Was hit by a car when young (before I adopted)
Could also be causing arthritis, which may also be a reason for her being in pain.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance

Last edited by Soundtrack; 02-16-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement