I did it, I took the plunge. - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I did it, I took the plunge.

Background: A couple of years ago I bought family room furniture. Asked the sales person, is this fabric Kid and Dog friendly. They assured me it was very durable... Dirty, Filthy, Rotten Liar... Between dog nails and a step son who went thru a phase with studs on his clothes and a "chain wallet" my cushions are trashed and looks like hobo furniture.

Update: For Christmas, hubby bought me a 46" HD flat screen TV. My current entertainment center will not fit it (fits only a certain size tube tv).

So today (meant to do it earlier, but I have had a nasty cold) I went shopping. Figured, I have to buy a new TV stand/entertainment center. Might as well do the furniture at the same time.

So today, my Mom and I went shopping (hubby waived all rights to opinion, etc. because he didn't want to go shopping). Found an entertainment center (not a hutch like I have, but will fit the stereo, dvd player, cable box and TV) plus has some storage. Nice oak piece (on sale!).

Also found some new furniture. It is kinda reddish brown in color (our property is covered in red Virginia clay, so I thought maybe some of the stuff brought in would "blend"; the fabric is sorta a fabric that I can't see how their nails can "snag" it.

Two chairs, ottoman, love seat and entertainment center, just under $2,500. I think I got a good deal. They deliver Friday afternoon. (I need the time to get the old entertainment center and furniture out of here)

While shopping, my main thought was, how will Abby and Jake fit with me on the furniture. What cracked me up, a lady another aisle over, was doing the same thing!!!

It got me thinking... If you own a furniture store (or are thinking of getting into that business) Do something to "help" dog owners pick out furniture. For instance, durable fabrics, stain resistant, fabric treatmment, room for human and dog in chairs, maybe have several size breeds on "staff" to "Measure" human and animal butt widths for chairs.

Face it, you have (or will) do the same thing next time you are in the market for furniture. It doesn't matter the breed that you own... you are going to take them into consideration when shopping. We are slaves to our puppies!
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congrats on your purchases. I'm sure Abby and Jake will appreciate your thoughtfulness in taking butt-width into consideration!
bethrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I measured Gandy before getting a chair and a half.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethrn View Post
Congrats on your purchases. I'm sure Abby and Jake will appreciate your thoughtfulness in taking butt-width into consideration!
The sad part is, I was wondering how much room there would be for MY butt after they claim their space.

"They" say we are supposed to show our mutts that we are "Alpha Dog" Not so much in this house. Jake and Abby pretty much rule the roost! Sadly, it boils down to David and I are only "staff". (but that is OK!)
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

We are considering buying a sectional so one of us doesnt have to sit in the other room or the floor. A couch, chair and ottoman is not enough for 3 bassets and 2 humans.
roscolaylamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineM View Post
I measured Gandy before getting a chair and a half.
Looks like you measured just right, LOL!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I was always weary of leather with dogs and cats. I bit the bullet a few years ago and got a leather sectional. It really stands up to the pooches and kitties, just a wiedown once a week with a damp cloth and hair, drool and dirt gone!
eclairs mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here I thought you got another puppy. LOL, that's how posts with that title usually go. We are soon in the market for furniture, but my husband says Winston isn't quite ready. I have a small living room and need to maximize space by getting the right furniture. I like the idea of measuring the dogs...since they won't let us bring the dogs in to try it out.

What have you all found is the best fabric to withstand nails (besides leather)?

Molly McFreckles' World:
The adventures of a Basset Hound living with Addison's Disease and a baby brother named Winston
MollyMcFrecklesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

They say leather is the way to go.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

We bought our last couch on Craigslist. There are some salespeople that all sell the same stuff brand new around here, and if you're smart you can barter them down. Then they show up at your door with the couch and let you sit on it and all that before you decide to buy it or not. Pretty convenient actually.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement