A question about stopping Bassets from jumping off furniture - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Red face A question about stopping Bassets from jumping off furniture

I am somewhat concerned as I have read that Bassets are not supposed to jump off the couch, the bed, etc. as it can cause back injuries.

I have had Geoffrey three weeks and this is something he really likes to do and since he is so quick it is difficult to stop him. My best success has been with the bed, which is the highest furniture (wait, I forgot about the times he got on the DR table and leaped off!!!- happened twice. Now I turn the DR chairs around so he can't get up there).

He is still getting on the couch (which is fine with me-I'm not that particular about the furniture) but I am concerned about the jumping off part.

Geoff is a very small Basset- fullgrown at 39 pounds. Hopefully this will mean his back isn't under that much of a strain.
Geoffrey's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

We built Anabelle a step, about 7 inches tall, a foot deep, and about 20 inches long. She has a small drop onto the step then another small drop onto the floor. I built it myself with a couple pieces of lumber, a handsaw, a hammer, and a handful of nails.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's most important when they are still growing. They all think they are part mountain goat. You could try putting something on the floor where he normally jumps off, like a tv tray or box that would keep him from jumping.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

I'm a bit of a contrarian on this issue but I think the risk of back injuries from jumping in basset is over blown There are some other risk factors an if those are taken in to consideration I you find the risk from jumping moderate height minimal. Those risk factor that figure prominately in the breed are weight especial being over weight, the other is fitness level. So what we have with the average middle aged or older basset is generally ad dog that is at least somewhat over weight if not obese and not teribly fit as well . Well when a dog like this gets hurt from a jump what is blame the jump not the fact the dog was in poor physical condition. Maintaining the dog on the thin side and providing plenty of exercise of which jumping can play a part and the likelihood of back issues is dramatically reduced.

also genetic and conformation play a role. smaller hound are going to be less prone than larger ones and in the same manner dogs with less waist length the distance between the last rib and the hip are as well because the ribs are magificant structure for suporting the back.. That said it would be insane to say their is no risk but it does become issue that when the no jumping rules become overzeliously enforced they may actual contribute to increased incident of problems because the muscles and supporting structure are not getting the need exercise to streghten themselves adn provide proper support. It is well document that exercise for the back reduce problems not increase them.

So in preventing jumping off the only sure way to do this is not let the dog on the furniture in the first place. This is by far the easiest way to enforce the policy and rule consistently/ This is howver for most not practical because it severely hampers there enjoyment from owning a dog in the first place. If dogs are going to be allowed on the furniture the logical way to prevent jumping off is to train an alternitive method for getting off the furniture that does not envolve jumping. Waiting for Mom to help is not a good alternative because the dog will be getting on the furniture when your not their and need to get off when your not their. The practical solution is stairs or ramps for the furniture and teaching the dog to use them.

Keep in mind that the advice about avoiding jumping is based purely on "conventional wisdom" and opinion but we find time and time that convential wisdom got it all wrong. Like must feed senior dogs lower protein food to protect the kidney's as they age, not haveing the dog drink right after a meal or perform vigourious exercercis before or after a meal will help prevent bloat. all proven untrue and some convential wisdom even proven harmfull like feed a dog from a raised bowl will reduce bloat when it has just the opposite effect increased bloat risk. so with this in mind I present as study on the risk of back injuries and posible links. Keep in mind this is all breeds and because basset and other dwarf breed disk are different than other breeds the colleration could be significantly different.

Neck-Throat-Cervical-Injuries Caused by Pulling and Jerks on Flat Buckles

Quote:
There was no correlation between choke chain collars and back problems. No correlations were found in any of the three parts of the back (lumbar, thoracic, cervical).

Jerking and pulling. On the other hand, there seems to be a connection between how the collar is handled and back problems. Pulling and jerking on the leash affect especially the neck and throat in the dog. As expected, there was no correlation between leash handling and thoracic/lumbar defects. However, one of the clearest correlations in the whole study was between cervical (neck) damages and 'jerk and pull'. 91% of the dogs who had neck injuries had also been exposed to jerking on the leash by the owner or been allowed to pull hard on the leash for long periods of time.

...Outer trauma. Injury (history of outer trauma) in this case includes such things as: an attack by another dog, an impact from a car/bicycle, loss of balance and falling while in a car that is stopped too quickly, ...Of the dogs in this group, nearly 71% had back problems.

...Running and playing. Dogs who were running and playing with other dogs, or simply run a lot, does not seem to cause back problems. No correlation was found.
Jumping. Jumping included going on and off furniture, as well as jumping on people, over fences, agility jumps, etc. No correlation between jumping and back problems was found in the study.
On or off leash. No correlation was found
Going up and down stairs. No correlation was found.
Stretching. Stretching when waking up, getting up from lying etc. It is interesting to see that dogs that stretch frequently often have lumbar defects.
so this study anyway defies a lot of conventional wisdom.

Last edited by Mikey T; 04-29-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement