Lip fold infection - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
SJB

Default Lip fold infection

Hi,

My male has a lipfold infection that seems to be taking quite a while to clear up. I had been using Chlorohexidrine pads 3 times a day for two weeks, but didn't see too much improvement. I took him to the vet a week ago and was given an antibiotic ointment to apply to the area. It does not look any better. I would think oral antibiotics at this point??:confused Any opinions, please? No culture was done.
SJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

I too think antibiotics . If it did not respond to a topical remidy then something more systematic is needed.I am not a vet but you should have seen an improvement by now I would think.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Oral antibiotics do not work nearly as well as topical on skin infections. An alternative to chlorohexidine is benzoil peroxide (active incredient in acne shampoo/medicine) but chances are it will not be any more effective. Given the nature of the problem Even if you get it cleared up it will return. I can not recommend highly enough surgery to correct the lip fold (cheiloplasty) ie remove the extra skin the drool/fluid collects Mariah had this done and it made all the difference in the world. It is a very common surgery for Cocker spanials not so much for other breeds but it worked well for us.

see Lip Fold Pyoderma

"Amber" - Cocker Spaniel with Lip Fold Pyoderma
includes photos. before and after surgery.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm sorry you're having so many problems with this lip fold infection. That stinks. Healing drool from Doppler and Virga! Hope you somehow get it under control.
mhvonalmen8908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
SJB

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I had a basset in the past that had a lip fold pyoderma, once. It was many years ago though, and I can't remember what was prescribed, but it never came back. I am hopeful I can get this episode under control. I will give it more time and try something else before I would consider surgery. Interesting article about the cocker, though.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have never heard of this condition!

I know that Manuka Honey has the most amazing healing properties and a couple of years ago, an elderly neighbour of mine had a leg ulcer that treatment from the doctor for over 5 months didn't heal, until someone told her about Manuka Honey.

She bought some from her health food shop and slathered it on the leg sore with gauze and bandage over it, and within two weeks the sore was much reduced in size and healing up nicely.

I wonder if it's worth trying Manuka Honey on the infection, or would the dog lick it off! I have told endless people about how it heals (so does ordinary honey, but Makuka is purer)! It healed the arm of a guy I know who fell off his bike and had a badly infected graze on his arm too.

PS: There are many articles about this honey... http://www.manukahoneyhealing.com/

Medical grade honey produced in New Zealand known as Manuka Honey is being used as an ingredient in health care products because of its extraordinary healing properties, especially its ability to miraculously heal wounds. Clinical studies have shown that Manuka Honey effectively addresses wound issues such as exuding wound fluid, tissue inflammation, pain, devitalized tissue and infection. Manuka Honey-based creams and lotions have been developed to make the application easier and not as messy or sticky as applying honey directly on the skin.

The differences between the various types of honey and their healing properties depend on the floral source that it is derived from. Not all kinds of honey should be used for medical purposes. It is generally accepted that Active Manuka Honey is the only type of honey that should be used therapeutically. Manuka Honey's healing properties are so effective that scientists and medical professionals are beginning to regard it as the best natural antibiotic in the world.

Honey has been used as a healing agent for thousands of years. In fact there has even been mention of honey being used for medicinal purposes in the Bible, Koran and Torah. Honey dressings were used for wound care all the way up until the first part of the 20th century. With the advent of antibiotics in the 1930s and 1940s, doctors were under the misconception that antibiotics were more effective that honey. However, with the emergence of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria (such as MRSA), medical professionals have been reconsidering the use of honey in modern medicine. Even consumers have been warming up to the idea of using honey as a medicine with all of the recent documentation available on the Internet stating Manuka Honey's effectiveness as an all-natural healer with no negative side effects.

Last edited by SophieB; 02-04-2011 at 07:14 AM.
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
SJB

I never heard of Manuka honey or using honey as a wound dressing. Very interesting. I have heard of giving dogs a teaspoon of local honey for allergies, though. Thanks for posting it, and I will check it out at the health food store, although He would probably lick it off, I would think.
His lip fold does not stink, probably because I have been tending to it two or three times a day. It does have a green tinge to the hair right at the lower lip line on both sides about where the upper canines touch it.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

SJB, I first heard and read articles about Manuka honey's healing powers about 7 or 8 years ago and even 'ordinary' honey is good at healing and putting some over an infected wound draws out the 'poison' and is an aid to much quicker healing.... I suppose it is the pureness and the 'sugar' in the honey that does it!

Standard honeys are mildly anti-bacterial. One reason is that they are high in sugars, which bind to water molecules, denying bacteria the moisture which they need to grow. The main anti-bacterial action in honey is the result of the production of hydrogen peroxide by the action of the enzyme glucose oxidase, an enzyme which bees add to honey.

Doctors and vets probably wouldn't tell us as they would lose so much 'commission and bonuses' from promoting drugs, but honey, particularly Manuka honey, has been known to outperform antibiotics!
Just google Manuka honey/healing properties of honey etc and you'll see that in some countries it has been used for many years!

http://www.yourhealthbase.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=piwhbase&method=and&words=honey

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/manuka-honey-heals-wounds-clears-infection-and-reduces-pain.html

The sugars, nutrients and enzymes found in Manuka Honey create a very powerful antibacterial action that makes it possible to use as a dressing for wounds and burns.

Some people may find it hard to conceptualize the use of honey for medical purposes. However, the truth is, many years ago, before the advent of antibiotics and what we consider to be modern medicine, many cultures used honey for medicinal purposes. When antibiotics were invented, doctors were under the misconception that they were better than honey. New case studies are starting to prove otherwise.

There are many different types of honey with varying antibacterial levels. Researchers have found that the most potent type of honey is one that comes from New Zealand called Manuka Honey. The differences in honey is predicated on the floral source, meaning the nectar of the flower that the honeybees use when manufacturing the honey. Manuka Honey is produced when bees use nectar from the flowers that grow on the Manuka bush which is native to New Zealand and certain parts of Australia. Manuka Honey has proven to be extremely effective in the treatment of wounds.

Manuka Honey provides a moist healing environment and prevents bacterial growth even when wounds are badly infected. Doctors are now using dressings with Manuka Honey to quickly sterilize wounds without the side effects of antibiotics. An added bonus to using wound products containing Manuka Honey is that it is effective against antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria such as MRSA. Manuka Honey's antibacterial properties and its viscosity also provide a barrier, preventing cross-infection of wounds.

Because of the existence of glucose for leucocytes in Manuka Honey, hydrogen peroxide is produced which is a known antiseptic. The acidity of Manuka Honey also adds to the antibacterial action of macrophages. The acidification of wounds promotes healing. The high glucose levels in Manuka Honey is used by the bacteria instead of amino acids from the serum and dead cells which increases lactic acid instead of ammonia and the amines and sulphur compounds that are the cause of malodor in wounds. Because of this, Manuka Honey can actually help wounds smell better.

Clinical studies have shown that Manuka Honey increases the growth of new tissue. It also reduces inflammation, the exudation of wound fluids and malodor in wounds. Its anti-inflammatory effect on wound tissues plays a big role in reducing pain. Manuka Honey has a nutrient effect on regenerating tissue because it contains amino acids, vitamins and different types of sugar. By osmosis, Manuka Honey causes an outflow of lymph which provides nutrition for regenerating tissue. The healing process can take longer if the circulation to the affected area is poor or if the person is poorly nourished. Manuka Honey also increases oxygenation of tissues which is important to the healing process.

When the Manuka Honey draws fluid away from the wound, it also lifts dirt from the wound bed. This makes surgical debridement unnecessary. Manuka Honey also helps to prevent bandages from sticking to the wound which is helpful when the bandages need to be changed. This eliminates the pain normally associated with the changing dressings as well as the tearing of newly formed tissue.

"Manuka Honey is also an ideal first aid dressing material for wounds and burns, says Frank Buonanotte, CEO of Honeymark International which is a manufacturer of Manuka Honey products. "In addition to providing an immediate anti-inflammatory effect, the Manuka Honey also provides an antibacterial action and a barrier to prevent infection."
Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

ManukaHoney - Is It A Scam? - Alternative Medicine
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
That will probably be written by drug companies or their reps who don't want people to use honey in healing instead of their costly drugs!!! I've seen what honey can do and believe me, it works!!! Manuka honey tastes completely different from supermarket honey, but any good honey has healing properties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement