Recommendations for step/stairs - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska
Default Recommendations for step/stairs

We've recently let the dogs get back on our couch since they no longer appear to have territory issues with it but poor Anabelle has a terrible time trying to get up there with her short little back legs. She can jump up with her front end easily but struggles a lot to get all the way up.

The steps available at the big pet stores seem to be made for small breeds and appear to be flimsy, less than a foot wide, and with 3 steps, which would be excessive.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a good small step for a basset hound? Have you made one yourself?
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

We're actually thinking about having my Grandfather make a set for the couch and a set the bed. We're even debating about having him build more of a "ramp" to run along side the bed to make it even easier on her joints. Out of wood of course.
Currently my fiance and Squish sleep on the couch together at night, but it's about time we moved her (them) to the bed.
My Granfather tells me it should be fairly easy as long as he has the right dimensions and measurements.
Other than the time factor, it can't be that expensive either.

Note - we went bedroom set shopping several weeks ago and saw that a few sets had stairs that came with or as a option to buy. Those were made of wood and seemed pretty solid. Maybe that's an option? Granted they were between $100 - $200, so it's not a cheap alternative.

It sounds like all she needs is a little boost
Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Having always been told to keep our Bassets off stairs and not to let them jump off anything that's higher than they are as it could injure their joints or their backs, we keep ours off the sofa and have a stair gate on our stairs. We also have a folding ramp a bit like in the picture, for our hatchback Golf, as they can't jump in or out and we don't want them hurting their backs and they are too heavy to lift safely.

Maybe someone could make something like this in a shorter version that folds up or slides together as ours does!

Edit: The one below is not ours, I got the pic from ebay but ours is similar and it might give people an idea!

Last edited by SophieB; 01-21-2011 at 01:51 PM.
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

That is very clever SophieB! Very clever and most practical.
I don't allow Opus up on the sofa, but he goes up and down the stairs all day as it is the only section of the house that has carpet and he LOVES to lie on the landing and scratch his chin against the wool. It's his favourite place to be when we're out too as it faces the front door.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's quite humorous but also quite sad to watch her try to get up. Sometimes when she's excited she'll take a running start and jump but still doesn't get her back feet up. Thankfully the couch is soft so she doesn't hurt herself in the process.

Normally she jumps up with her front feet easily and then tries to get a grip with one of her back feet for a good 5 minutes or so, finally succeeds and gets the other foot up. I think all she needs is one step.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Probably you'll need to build your own. I built a ramp that my dogs use to get on the bed, I built another for friends so their dog could get on the couch. Depending on how handy you are you can make them look quite nice.

Some people build steps out of styrofoam:
INEXPENSIVE DOG STEP ( DOG STEPS ) FOR AGING DOGS (Cheap Alternative to Ramp)
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Annabelle was on my facebook page today! I am a "friend" of "Upside Down Dogs". I knew who she was the moment I saw her! What a cutie!
Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

I got a two-step stool for Lightning and Stomps to use from (I think) Drs. Foster and Smith. It's very sturdy and covered in carpeting. It works great. However, if I could have, I would have made the steps deeper to accommodate their long backs and short legs. But I still highly recommend it. I also have a ramp like the one pictured above to get the dogs in and out of the car. Stomps would use it, but Lightning won't go near it (anyone want to buy a barely used telescoping ramp?).
Lightning&Stomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

If you know someone handy, ask them to make them. My brother made me a set for Sadie & Spencer. He made them with a removable piece so I could use them flat against the side of the bed or on the corner. He also made a single step for the porch chair, couch & futon. Spoiled babies.

AmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
Annabelle was on my facebook page today! I am a "friend" of "Upside Down Dogs". I knew who she was the moment I saw her! What a cutie!
Haha I'm glad you saw that. I submitted that picture months ago when I saw a discussion somewhere else about that site, was surprised to see it show up a few days ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement