Have you heard of Springbatts? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Have you heard of Springbatts?

A friend of mine makes felted animals and the other day she was asked to make a dog from a couple of photos that she took to be a Basset Hound, so when she showed me the pictures, I thought the face was slightly different, the legs a wee bit longer and the body slightly shorter and wondered if it was crossed with a Beagle....

My friend asked the owner if his dog was a pure Basset or was it crossed with a Beagle and he said it is a SPRINGBATT (Springer/Basset cross) and I have never heard of this breed before so googled them and they are quite pretty dogs.... click on the link and look through some pics!

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=springbatts%20dogs&psj=1&wrapid=tli f12947093688751&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1068&bih=670

http://manorroyspringbatts.webs.com/SDC10308.JPG

SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Call any deliberate cross breeding without a defined working purpose or for the creation of a breed that has a defined purpose a "breed" is a mis nomer designer mutt is a more apt discription.
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've never heard of that breed either, but they certainly are adorable
MollyMcFrecklesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMcFrecklesMom View Post
I've never heard of that breed either, but they certainly are adorable
They do look adorable and a Basset/Springer mix will be easier to train than a pure Basset because Spaniels can be very obedient, judging by my sister's Springers, who walk without leads and do as they are asked, whereas my Bassets seem to have selective hearing and are not good off leads unless I have one off and one on as they don't like to be separated and will run off together if they sniff a rabbit!!!!

I guess there aren't many Springbatts around as I can only see the one breeder (after a quick google) and I suppose it's one of these newish 'designer' breeds, which used to be known as 'mutts', yet sell for as much or more than a 'pure' bred dog!

I love the colour and markings of these pups!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
Call any deliberate cross breeding without a defined working purpose or for the creation of a breed that has a defined purpose a "breed" is a mis nomer designer mutt is a more apt discription.
I would agree with this statement.

Unfortunately these "designer breeds" are prime dogs for puppy mill production since they sell for huge $$ and have no need for registration or regulation by any breed club or standard.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
a Basset/Springer mix will be easier to train than a pure Basset because Spaniels can be very obedient
Not necessarily. When mixing breeds there's no way to determine which traits will come from which parent. You could easily end up with a dog that's just as "stubborn" as any Basset, with more hair.

FWIW, my Bassets walk with out leads and pretty much do as they're asked.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance

Last edited by Soundtrack; 01-11-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

C'mon folks Look at those pups . Someone is trying to pull a fast one here. Those pups are bassets. To have a mixture of breeds you will get some of the litter that look more like one side than the other ,but none of these even look remotely like a Springer or have any traits there of,no feathering what so ever. There would have to be a pup or two that resembled a Springer even just a tiny bit. There is none! Even the so-called adults do not have any Springer traits. Maybe a little longer legs but some poorly bred bassets have that trait,shorter ears ? Pure bred bassets can have that trait too. There is nothing, let me say that again,nothing, about these dogs that anyone can point out and say they are mixed. There are no photos of possible parents even. And just for the record a "designer breed" is just a" mutt", that some fool gets some other fool's money for. Ok, a bit harsh but.......
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just now saw the website ,still think these people are full of it. Maybe there was an accidental breeding at some point and they decieded to cash in on it but to have a mixed breed that doesn't have some sort of trait of what it is mixed with is still weird to me. The first generation especially should have traits of both parents, there are none. There is only one dog on that site that resembles a Springer and thats cause it is. They could be buying unregistered bassets then selling the pups for a huge amount calling them whatever they want. I still don't see the Springer anywhere in any of their puppies.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

The whole designer breed idea is pretty much a scam, wouldn't surprise me in the least if a few or many of the "breeders" are simply scam artists.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

When I first saw the pictures of the 'Springbatt' my friend had to use for copying to make her felted version, I thought it was a Basset/Beagle cross as the legs were slightly longer than my Bassets and their ears were a bit like a Beagle's ears, but it was really nice looking to be honest, deep chestnut and white!

Re Springbatts being 'mutts' in that case, my Bassets are 'mutts' to a certain extent because they were Bloodhounds crossed with Beagles to start with! I wonder if the appearance depends on whether the Basset is the mum... I shall try and find out more!!!

This Springbatt has a Spaniel look to its face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbad View Post
C'mon folks Look at those pups . Someone is trying to pull a fast one here. Those pups are bassets. To have a mixture of breeds you will get some of the litter that look more like one side than the other ,but none of these even look remotely like a Springer or have any traits there of,no feathering what so ever. There would have to be a pup or two that resembled a Springer even just a tiny bit. There is none! Even the so-called adults do not have any Springer traits. Maybe a little longer legs but some poorly bred bassets have that trait,shorter ears ? Pure bred bassets can have that trait too. There is nothing, let me say that again,nothing, about these dogs that anyone can point out and say they are mixed. There are no photos of possible parents even. And just for the record a "designer breed" is just a" mutt", that some fool gets some other fool's money for. Ok, a bit harsh but.......
Look how gorgeous some of these felted Bassets are... does anyone on here make anything like this?

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&...f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Last edited by SophieB; 01-25-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement