Are bassets a large breed? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Are bassets a large breed?

Are bassets considered a large breed dog, and should I be feeding Boomer puppy food for large breeds?

We weighed him recently, and he's around 30 lbs for 6 months old. His momma was around 40 lbs and his daddy wasn't much more than that, so I'm guessing he may not be that big?

Also, what is a good guideline for walking, time-wise? Right now our walks average 20-30 min twice a day.
Boomer's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

I don't think any dogs really need "large breed food" as long as the food they are getting isn't commercial garbage. That being said, my idea of large breed is 80+ lbs or so. I would call bassets a medium sized breed, though some of the really big ones can border on large. Just my opinion though.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Boomer's Mum... I would say you're walking times are about right as it's best not to walk Bassets for very long whilst their joints are still knitting together. Better two or three short walks a day rather than a long one until Boomer is about 10 or 11 months!

I have always fed my Bassets 'large breed food' and my pair of sisters are 66lbs and 70lbs and I would say that Basset's weight is generally classed as large... and I would say 80lbs comes into the same category! Also, large breed food has natural Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulphate to help the heavy joints that Bassets have and will help your dog to have strong legs to support the weight!

I would class my Cocker Spaniel (who is quite a big boy) a medium sized dog and feed him accordingly.

Eukanuba Product : Large Breed Adult
Recommended For: LARGE BREED (51 LBS. AND OVER), 1+ YEARS

Product Description:
Large- and giant-breed adult dogs have more than just big bodies and bigger appetites. Eukanuba recognizes this and offers Eukanuba Large Breed Adult to support their special needs.
Eukanuba Large Breed Adult contains natural sources of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate to help support joints stressed by a large-breed dog's greater weight. Eukanuba Large Breed Adult also has appropriate levels of a natural vegetable fiber to help aid digestion and helps your dog have appropriate stool volume for easier cleanup. FOS, a natural Prebiotic, is included to support your dog's strong defenses from within the digestive tract. Eukanuba Large Breed Adult is made in a large kibble size designed for a large-breed dog's mouth.

100% Nutrition, 0% Filler: Your dog deserves the best, so there's no room for fillers like artificial preservatives, flavors or colors in our food. In fact, every carefully chosen ingredient serves a specific purpose in promoting your dog's overall health. It's our 100% commitment to you and your dog.
JointFlex: Natural sources of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate to help large-breed dogs maintain joint and cartilage health.
Chicken as the #1 Ingredient: Real chicken as the #1 ingredient provides an excellent source of protein.

Last edited by SophieB; 10-06-2010 at 03:37 PM.
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

I took Nitro to the vet last week and asked about food. He said large breed puppy food is good for the same reason SophieB did, the extra minerals for his joints. Just make sure it is a good quality food.
Nitrosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you ask Cannoli she would say no, bassets are not a large breed, they are tiny lap dogs.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nitro is an excellent lap dog for about two hours in the morning and as long as I will sit with him after about 9pm. Otherwise, he could care less about cuddling. He wants to PLAY! That, I am sure, is his age. Hopefully he will mellow out in a year to two lol
Nitrosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I recall reading somewhere that a dog that weighs over 50 (or 55?) lbs as an adult is considered large breed.
Once I noticed that Squish was on track to be at or above 60 lbs as an adult (HA! More like 80 lbs if she has her way with Velveeta cheese ) I put her on Large Breed puppy food.

Whether or not it really makes a difference for a Basset Hound, I can't comment but it makes ME feel better.

Although, I also recall reading from several places that for large breed dogs you have to be careful not to give too much calcium and to not let them grow too quickly. You have to watch bone and plate growth and making sure the right amount of nutrients and minerals get delivered at the right times. I'm sure every vet and dog food company (and owner!) has different opinions on this one - but feeding large breed formula makes me feel better about feeding her.
Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

My 38 lb mutt, 60 lb basset, and my parents' 130 lb bullmastiff all get fed the same Nature's Abundance food and we have all had nothing but great results. The big name foods like Iams, Eukanuba, Hills Science, etc will all use "by-products" which means the junk leftover that isn't deemed suitable for human consumption. Some of these brands have even been caught using euthanized dogs and cats from vets.

If you haven't done any serious research about dog food, I highly recommend it as many of those companies are feeding us marketing lies.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

the purpose of large breed puppy food is prevent some orthopeadic problem associated with large and giant bfreed dogs. Basset because of bone mass more resemble large breed dogs than medium breed dogs and tend to suffer from he same orthopeadic condition from over nutrition that other large breed dogs do. In this matter regardless if the dog reach 50Lb or not at adulthood the more resemble large breed dogs than medium.

Quote:
will all use "by-products" which means the junk leftover that isn't deemed suitable for human consumption
" By products being junk" is one of those so called marking lies. Organ etc are by products by definition and from a nutrition stand point is far superior to muscle. The so called junk feather etc that are often cited as being a posible component of by-product are actual exclued by law/

Are By-Products Bad?
Quote:
From a nutritional as well as ethical standpoint, the benefits of incorporating by-products into pet foods cannot be denied.

The Whole Dog Journal advises pet owners to reject any by-products and instead seek “whole meats.” This demonstrates their lack of understanding of the nutritional merits of the various parts of food animals. Whole Dog and others in the pet food marketplace pushing the "no by-products" claim seem unaware of the fact that “by-product” is a mere word invention. It creates a negative connotation, but has nothing to do with health or nutrition. Pet health and nutrition are not about superficial impressions created by word labels. Feeding just muscle meats to pets is a serious error since no carnivore in the wild eats such a diet.
...For example, chicken viscera is not “human grade,” but carries more nutritional value than a clean white chicken breast. Americans think that chicken feet would not be fit for human consumption, but many far eastern countries relish them. On the other hand, “human grade” beef steaks fed to pets could cause serious nutritional imbalances and disease if fed exclusively. Pet foods that create the superficial perception of quality (no by-products, USDA, human grade, etc.) with the intent of getting pet owners to feed a particular food exclusively is not what pet health is about.

Dog Foods - Help in making the choice easier
Quote:

AAFCO DEFINITIONS OF DOG FOOD INGREDIENTS

AAFCO (The Association of American Feed Control Officials) sets guidelines and definitions for animal feed, including pet foods.

Chicken By-Product Meal - consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice.

Digest of Beef By-Products - material from beef which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed tissue from non-rendered clean parts, other than meat, from cattle which includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defated low-temperature fatty tissue, and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hoofs.

Meat By-Products - the non rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low-temperature fatty tissue and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hooves.

A lot of foods have by-products which are usually heads, necks, stomach contents, organs, etc. That turns some people off though I've yet to see a dog not eat that stuff if they come across a carcass in a field. Frankly, to me its everything people feeding their dogs a raw diet would give and I don't see the big deal if say, chicken by-product meal, is included in a dog food's ingredients. Watch a nature program with wild dogs and wolves and you'll see them eating these parts of the animal. I would make sure the by-product meal was specific such as chicken or lamb by-product meal and not just listed as "poultry", "meat" or "animal" by-product meal.

Quote:
Some of these brands have even been caught using euthanized dogs and cats from vets.
another huge myth there has never been any evidence of dogs or cats in pet food. The FDA did an extensive study Using DNA aND CONCLUDE such reports are completely false.

Euthanized Pets as a Pet Food Ingredient

CVM Scientists Develop PCR Test to Determine Source of Animal Products in Feed, Pet Food
Quote:
A test, derived to determine source of pentobarbital in pet food, is so sensitive it can identify the species of origin for animal products on a scale of 7 lbs. per 500 tons. Tests find no cat or dog DNA in pet food.

...The results of this study demonstrated a lack of correlation between species identity and the presence of pentobarbital in dog food. They also provide evidence against the presumption that euthanized pets are routinely rendered and used in pet food.
There has never been a dog food to been shown to contained euthanized cat or dog even though the technology exist to detect 7 lbs of dog or cat in 500 tons of mixed meat. Which in the end is the most bamning piece of evidence for this myth. If it were true then prove it, name names etc. Has not ever been done. The myth originated with dectectable amounts of sodium pentobarbital see from the Study above it is unlike the level of pentobarbital is from rendered animal i.e. (any euthanized animal including horses0 never mind pets.

Last edited by Mikey T; 10-06-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I work at a farm supply store, and we started carrying Eagle Pack brand dog food, and one of the varieties is for Large Breed Puppies. Of course, my boss asked me if I would consider trying it so I can give our customers a first-person review, plus he gave me a $7 off coupon.

Thanks for the info, Mikey. :-)
Boomer's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement