Joint problems - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Joint problems

So Woofus started limping around about 1 week ago...pretty bad. And since he's only about 3 yrs old, I thought maybe he broke something. (don't know how he would have). Anyways, took him to the vet and got him X-rays of his front legs, and neither the bill or his front legs looked pretty. His joints don't really fit together correctly, which the vet says is causing this problem. They said maybe he might need surgery in the future. My question is does anyone know of any natural remedies (herbs or vitamins) that I can give him that's good for joint health? How about glucosamine?

The vet said no exercise for a week.....ummmm she's never seen my ADD basset before. He's going CRAZY in the house By the way he's a rescue so I have no idea where he came from. Thanks for the help!!
Mr. Woofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

First of all, I would get a second opinion before even considering surgery. Basset joints are never pretty, and sometimes vets that are not too familiar with the breed see problems where in fact you have a normal basset front.
Secondly, crate rest IS important-and believe me I know how hard that is with an active young dog but you need to give the injury a chance to heal. In fact, I tend to recommend 3-4 weeks or more depending on the severity of the condition. If the dog is on crate rest you can use anti-inflammatories.
Thirdly it's important to keep the hound's weight down to minimize stress on joints.
Glucosamine is fine.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

As a general rule I will always steer clear of surgery unless absolutely necessary. I want to take his x-rays to an orthepedic vet for a second opinion. I was just thinking about doing all I can for preventive maintanence. His weight is very good, he's a slim 44 lbs and the vet said he's one of the healthiest bassets she's ever seen. I hope so I have him on a strict homecooked diet
Mr. Woofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would make sure surgery was really necessary.....really necessary. I am a great believer in Glucosamine.....being 66 .......with some arthritis. I had a Black Labrador retriever..we grew old together and both developed arthritis. We took our pill out of the same bottle each morning. I know it helped me and think it helped her. A Cortisone shot ever now and then also helped her. Oh, vitamins might be of use also. I would try all three.....and wait a bit to see what happens.
I took my Basset hound in when she got a stopped up tear duct....for the third time. She always got over it in a few days but I wondered about the root cause. The vet wanted to “go in and see what the problem was.” Ahhhhhhhhh no, I don’t think so. She was over it in a few days, it has not happened again and that was about 3 years ago. So, your not necessarily a bad person for holding off on surgery....even if the vet recommends it.
I once talked with a doctor; who is considered one of the best. He said in medical school they were taught you could diagnose anything, treat anything. He laughed after he said that. He said he thought about 40 percent of the time doctors didn’t understand what was going on. I would hold off for a bit ....if the dog did not get better or seemed to be in pain...see another vet.
Belle's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Some basset breeders that I know, who also show their hounds, say that a lot of vets don't seem to lnow an awful lot about Basset Hounds, so I'd take care for a week or so, and see what happens as I doubt surgery is what's needed. Your dog may have just twisted his foot or leg and just strained his leg like we do from time to time and a bit of rest helps it no end!

If I were you I would curtail any walking for a week and see how your Basset gets on as vets are always too eager to want to operate. Hopefully you don't allow your dog on the stairs because that doesn't help with their joints or their back! It's the going down that's bad for them as there's a lot of weight on those two little legs! Not sure Glucosamine helps as they're now saying it's a waste of time and does nothing for joint problems.

Try something like Devil's Claw or Rose Hips in concentrated powder form!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Relieving-...ips&id=4832440

Rosehips: a magic ingredient to beat the pain of arthritis - Times Online

Lots of info here: AOL Search
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Glucosamine is fine.
Only problem is that only studies by manufacture have shown it to be effective. All large independant study have conclude it is no more effective than placebo. Keep in mind in the large study on knee pain placebo and gloucosimine were 60% effective and the standard nsaids (asprin, ibuprophen, naproxin sodium etc 70% So the so called standard bearers of treatment are not a whole lot better than a placebo as well.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Glucosamine with Chondroitin sulfate ........has been tested extensively. . I have read several of medical studies.....some from Medical Schools.... Like many things medical...there are those who think it works and those who don’t. We are some times told things are good for us.....only to be told later it was really bad for us.......and the other way around. It sort of depends on which study came out last. Consumer’s Union magazine waded through the research and concluded....”it probably works.” No magic cure, no astounding results, no amazing relief....but it probably works....helps. Consumer’s Union is about as independent as one can get. For every study you can show me it does not work I can show one that says it does. I simply suggest try it..if it helps .........good. If it does not seem to help...forget it. Decide for yourself..the stuff is not expensive.
Belle's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement