Round three...how bout this basset mix? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Round three...how bout this basset mix?

They are real cute.

Bassett / Heeler mix puppy
summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Those are cute pups! While not pure basset and probably the product of an oops... mutts need homes too...
Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Research both breeds ,you are getting a herding breed mixed with a hound. They are cute but also know this, bassetx can and will take anything you leave on the counters. Bassets do it anyway now the legs will be longer,more reach. I think, in a way, I'd rather see you get one of these but I'm not sure you are ready for a basset hound.These dogs are great fun but they come with their quirks too and some folks do not handle the quirks well. If a child has a cookie ,2 seconds gone! Leave some food item on the table turn your back ,gone! Let him out to pee (fenced yard is best) he gets the scent of some animal and is gone! You can't cut off the part that causes the trouble,the nose. Be very ,very sure you know what you are getting into. And as you suspect Kansas is not good, one of the puppymill states of the midwest.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wanted to say that most reputable breeders do not advertise on the internet, simply, because they don't have to, most of the time their puppies are purchased by word of mouth or other owners or they have a waiting list to supply. I had a couple wait through a false pregnancy for me to breed again . They had much more patience than even I probably would have had waiting for a puppy. They liked my dogs and I like to think, maybe, me, so they were happy to wait. Some may require a deposit but most good breeders say wait till the litter is on the ground then I will except deposits. Good breeders just do things better.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow...how adorable! I'm sure you know about Basset breeds, Blue Heelers are completely different. If you think that type of dog is for you, go for it!!! I almost adopted a Blue Heeler mix but the description of the breed didn't seem like the right dog for a family. Maybe you can visit a Blue Heeler forum to read others experiences with them. That pup is a cutie!!!
Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

FWIW mixes are a bit of a crap shoot on what you end up with personality wise and health. General you can expect somewhere between both breeds but it can be anywhere on the continium. So a basset-beagle mix will general be closer to a pure bred basset because the purpose, personality and temperment etc are closer.
There presonalities/temperments of ACD and bassets are not similar. So if you are looking for a basset type temperment you might end up with something not even close to it.

The Mixed Breed Dog
Quote:
Another disadvantage of mixed breed dogs is the inability to predict the size, coat-type, or temperament of the adult dog from seeing a litter of puppies from an unknown sire or worse, from an unknown dam and sire. Animal shelter personnel can guess at the breed of an abandoned litter of pups, but they cannot really tell much by looking at a roly poly bundle of fur with the little round face and short legs. And even if the litter parents are known, if they are two widely divergent breeds or mixes in size, coat, or temperament, it will be difficult to determine which pups will take after Mom, which ones will resemble Dad, which ones will look and act like a little bit of both, and which ones will look and act like neither parent.

... The body size and
temperament of crossbred dogs with parents of different size and temperament are anybody’s guess. ...Temperament is a paramount consideration in a family dog. It doesn’t matter whether Fluffy is big, small, or black or whether King has a pointed head and upright ears or a round head and floppy ears, but it does matter if either dog is domineering to the children or difficult for Mom to handle.

...Crossbreeds or mixes with retriever, pointer, setter, or spaniel (except Cocker Spaniel), Beagle, Basset, Foxhound, Coonhound, Bloodhound, Pug, Bulldog, Corgi, Collie, Newfoundland, St. Bernard, Mastiff, Bullmastiff, Great Dane, Great Pyrenees, or Samoyed tend to be congenial family pets although several have high energy levels and some are difficult to train

...Crossbreeds or mixes of the working and some herding breeds are often tough and independent. Akita, Rottweiler, Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky, Doberman, Briard, Bouvier des Flandres, Australian Cattle Dog, the Belgian breeds, Boxer, Chinese Shar Pei, and Chow Chow belong in this group.

What do you know of the personality of Heeler/ACD?

see New Hope Cattle Dogs

Australian Cattle Dog Temperament
What's Good About 'Em, What's Bad About 'Em

Australian Cattle Dog Information

Knowing quite a few ACD through dog agility I find the above links fairly accurate on the breeds temperament.

It appears the puppy on the right might be a merle which does not occur in Cattle dogs, Given the resolution of the photo it is also possible not merle at all and just a result of ticking but worth investigating. i.e. are the actual hairs either black or white or are there some various shades of grey. The reason for mentioning this is if the puppy on right is a merle then the discription of the mix is wrong.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

The really big problem is this does not appear to be an accidental breeding It appears that the breeder likes selling healer mixes

July 16,2009
Colorado Front ragnge ads
Golden retriever/heeler mix breed pups 8 weeks 1st shots $125.00

Rat Terrier puppies $ 75.00
Aug 19, 2010 ... 1 male 1 female puppy 10 weeks old, 2 puppy shots, and ready for their new home Rehoming fee 75.00 720-273-8041 ...
denver.craigslist.org/pet/1908072841.html

Re : Dachshund 3 MonthsJun 15, 2010 ... She has the same phone # listed on many animals....720- 273-8041 ... Rehoming fee 100.00 720 273 8041. Location: I70 & Tower Rd; ...
denver.craigslist.org/pet/1792784775.html

29 Gallon Aquarium with PIRANAH

border collie/blue heeler pups
Quote:
2 male 1 female 9 weeks old female looks more blue heeler one male
looks border one looks blue heeler first shots and wormed rehoming fee
100. 720 273 8041
Does not appear to be a ligitimate rescue organization encouraging them to continue by paying a "rehoming" fee does not seem to be in the best interest of the dogs.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

[quote=summit;102536]They are real cute.

You know how markings on a Basset change from when they are 8 weeks to 8 months, maybe the Basset from Summit's link above with the 'ticking' may finish looking like the Best of Breed at Crufts 2009 (below) as it was a very unusual marked hound.... click to enlarge the pic to see the pattern!

Looking at the lower pictures, the Basset looks like it's crossed with a 'speckled' dog!

Last edited by SophieB; 08-28-2010 at 07:36 PM.
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
vb3

It almost looks like that dog is wearing a tie-dyed shirt!
vb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow, that's a really neat looking basset! I've never seen one with so much ticking! A very handsome hound!
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement