shampoo! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default shampoo!

Any suggestions for shampoo for Bassets? I'm picking up my new puppy any day now!
BrooklynBasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

shampoo need to be matched to the bassets coloration, coat type, skin sensitivities, and/or underlying dermalogical conditions for best results. You are best of waiting until you can ascess these before making a choice.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

I hope you won't be washing away the lovely Basset Hound puppy smell for several months!

How often do people bath/shower their Bassets? Ours are just gone two years old and have only been bathed three times and the other day a friend said that she thought they must be bathed often because they always look so clean, but they don't! I think if they're bathed too often it washes the natural oils from their coats.

They don't like the rain but when we've been out in the rain they get a good towel drying as soon as we get home and occasionally I put the hair drier on them to help it along. I know it's probably wrong, but I use Johnson's baby shampoo on my Bassets and my Cocker as it's gentle and smells nice and they have a glossy coat as they get brushed regularly and they have nice skin!
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I bath mine when they're dirty, or when they have a show. If we have a lot of shows in a row they may be bathed weekly or even more! Otherwise regular brushing is good for removing dirt and crud, and stimulating the skin.
As mentioned, the "perfect" shampoo really depends on the individual dog, however more often than not I simply wash them in dish soap (I like the scented ones) which is diluted about 10:1. Other favorites are LaPooch (long lasting scent), Lambert-Kay Fresh N Clean Oatmeal N Baking Soda, and Kelco Oats Fur Coats (nice cinnamon smell). With any shampoo, I dilute it enough so that it lathers up nicely but rinses out easily. The main thing to remember is to rinse VERY well, then rinse some more as any soap residue left on the skin will cause irritation.
Your puppy's breeder will probably have a shampoo that they like to use.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance

Last edited by Soundtrack; 08-11-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Dawn dishwashing detergent --- vet approved
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice! This is our first puppy and I wasn't sure how soon or often you should bath them. I'm sure the breeder will inform me but it's nice to have this community here as well. Your mention of the "puppy smell" has me even more excited for the pick up on Saturday!
BrooklynBasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lambert-Kay Fresh N Clean Oatmeal N Baking Soda is what I use. I bathed my new puppy the first day we got him. I have used several different shampoos and I like the oatmeal n baking soda one the best. I bathe my dogs about 1x month.
JessieBrown13905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lightning has had about three baths in his life--twice when he was skunked and once just because. But his hair isn't as oily as a lot of hounds' can be, so he's never had the "corn chips" smell. Stomps' coat was the oily type that seems to be typical of hounds. He had the corn chips smell. But I liked it so I didn't bathe him either.
Lightning&Stomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBasset View Post
Any suggestions for shampoo for Bassets? I'm picking up my new puppy any day now!
This is my absolute favorite shampoo and you can find it at Petco. It has a basset on the bottle so it's easy to spot.
Lambert Kay Fresh 'n Clean Oatmeal 'N Baking Soda Shampoo at PETCO

I just noticed that a few others recommeded it as well, so anyway there's the link

It smells good, not overbearing and not too fufu. My mutt has skin allergies and sometimes gets skin infections, but we haven't had any when using this shampoo. As long as you don't need anything medicated I definitely recommend it. The baking soda really helps with the hound odor.

Last edited by Kirska; 08-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBasset View Post
Thanks for the advice! This is our first puppy and I wasn't sure how soon or often you should bath them. I'm sure the breeder will inform me but it's nice to have this community here as well. Your mention of the "puppy smell" has me even more excited for the pick up on Saturday!
I just LOVE the smell of puppies and the softness of their coats and I wouldn't bath them for ages and anyway they don't need it unless you start showing them from about 6 months.

Towel dry (or warm hair drier) them if wet and give a good brushing and they'll be fine or you'll wash the natural oils from their coat. I always wash our dog bed/quilt covers and blankets regularly and that helps with keeping them smelling clean.

I have always showered our dogs in the downstairs shower (and it's easy to get shampoo out) as I have never let any Bassets up the stairs as it's bad for their joints, especially going down, when all that weight is put onto those little front legs!
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement