basset hound howling - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default basset hound howling

My family and I got our basset hound puppy a little over a month ago when she was 7 weeks old (her name is stella and she is wonderful) she is 12 weeks old now and we were just curious, how old are basset hounds when they normally start howling? She did not bark right away when we first got her but she is barking now, just not howling.
jaclyn12310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

They don't always howl. My girl Lily will only howl for my hubby and only if he does it to get her going. My boy Gibbs refuses to howl. Not sure when they start though.

~Heather

Miss you Lily (ATB 3/15/12) & Gibbs (6/10/14). My original "hound dogs"...lost, but never forgotten.
2hounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

my inlaws had two bassets (litter mates) for 9 years and unfortunatly lost one this past year. The boys would put thier noses together and "sing" with each other, but since Brutus passed away Quincy has never sang again. i dont know if its somthing they only do in pairs
Rcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
how old are basset hounds when they normally start howling?
Not all basset hounds howl. The last three females I have owned never howled. A male that I owned sounded more like a rooster arrrooterrrroooo than a dog when he did. It is very individualistic. There is no average.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hounds View Post
They don't always howl. My girl Lily will only howl for my hubby and only if he does it to get her going. My boy Gibbs refuses to howl. Not sure when they start though.

~Heather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcollins View Post
my inlaws had two bassets (litter mates) for 9 years and unfortunatly lost one this past year. The boys would put thier noses together and "sing" with each other, but since Brutus passed away Quincy has never sang again. i dont know if its somthing they only do in pairs
On the contrary..... our pair of 2-year olds have never yet howled but all our previous Bassets have done it!!!! I love hearing them howl! We think the reason is because they have always had each other and we have another dog. Sometimes I think they howl when left alone in the house but ours are never on their own.
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mine only howl in the middle of the night. Stickers starts while in a deep sleep and Rusty chimes in. Be careful what you wish for!!
Rusty Stickers Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lucy only howled when my husband and son got out the turkey or duck calls. When they would get her going, she couldn't control it, she'd looked at us with an expression that seemed to say "who's howling like that?"! The only other time she'd howl was in the middle of the night when she was sleeping and seemed to be dreaming. She'd let out a very eerie sounding howl, which scared the ba-geezes out of everyone in the house. A long deep hooooooooooowl!, very different from the high pitched bird call howl. She'd awaken everyone but herself; it was very strange.
gsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's what mine do in the middle of the night. Stickers starts and he chimes in. One of us has to physically go and wake them. Yes, that means getting out of bed and walking across the house. Not happy about that when I get up for work at 5:00!
Rusty Stickers Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

My boy howled all the time and he was really good at it!! My girl only howled when he got her started and even then when she howled, she sounded more like an owl !!! hahahha. She hasn't howled since he passed away. We called it signing when they did it together too. We loved it. Sometimes my boy would be sound asleep and she would start barking at something and he would raise his head up and just let out some of the most pathetic sleepy howls... like she was disturbing him and he didn't feel like getting up. I bet if you take your baby around some other Bassets that do howl, Stella might catch on.
mydawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
vb3

Well that answers my question, I was wondering the same thing. Rosco only howls a little when we are really play fighting hard, or when Layla has something he wants (which is everything she picks up). Layla doesn't howl she just woofs, but her voice cracks really easily. I think she did a lot of barking at the shelter we got her from, and perhaps damaged her vocal cords a bit.
vb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement