Itching!!!! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Pensfan83
Question Itching!!!!

Hello everyone,

I have a wonderful 2yr old basset named Gracie. She is the light of my life but i feel sooo bad because she itches and licks all the time and it has to be so uncomfortable for her. Iv tried everything; creams, vitamins, baths, baby wipes, bag balm. The baths work for abt a few hrs but then she is back to it again. Anyone have any suggestions to help this?? Ill try anything. Thanks so much!!

Pensfan
Pensfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, any info would be nice... Snickers has been itching and licking a lot lately too....does it have something to do with allergies? I read not to give them too many baths, so I try and "freshen" her up by spraying Skin so soft (also heard it helps keep pesky little critters away) Am I brushing too much... not enough (I try to 2-3 times a week)??? I use a natural flea and tick medicine on her, made with plant based products, cause I wasn't sure how she would react to the chemicals of the top brands. Or is this just part of owning a Basset?
BTW, thanks Pensfan for starting this thread, I was going to start a similar one
Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

perhaps whatever flea protection you are using is not working for them.

it could be allergies, but figuring out what it could be so you can avoid it without going to a vet will be tough.
hig4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Im going to call her vet to get in to see what is up. Nothing works and i know she is suffering. She has been having this itching prob since she turned like 1 1/2. She will b 3 this July. I have also tried all the flea and tick treatments and natural sprays and soaps. I have to give her a bath every two weeks cause she is hound fresh. lol Iv heard that this is a basset issue but its not far that our babies have to suffer. SIGH!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensfan83 View Post
Im going to call her vet to get in to see what is up. Nothing works and i know she is suffering. She has been having this itching prob since she turned like 1 1/2. She will b 3 this July. I have also tried all the flea and tick treatments and natural sprays and soaps. I have to give her a bath every two weeks cause she is hound fresh. lol Iv heard that this is a basset issue but its not far that our babies have to suffer. SIGH!!!
I find it had to believe it is a basset issue. Our previous basset never had any skin or itching problems. Prior to her we had several beagles and none of them ever had any itching problems other than occasionally fleas. And all of that was before Frontline and all the similar products were common.
hig4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Itchy and scratchy

I did a search under the search option and used the word "allergies" . The above thread seems to have some good information. There are others threads in the archives that might help if you do your own search.

Murray has horrible allergies, not due to fleas, but due to dust, grass, grain and most proteins in his food (he's on Wellness Core Fish and Potato which seems to help him). We had him allergy tested when he was 2 years old. Allergy shots are available, but we decided not to go that route.

This is something we just deal with-there is no final solution- some summers are worse than others. Two years ago the summer here was very humid and hot,and he was so miserable that , even though I don't like giving cortisone because of it's potential side effects, he had a couple of cortisone shots to break the itch/biting cycle.

The best advice I can give you is to try not to get frustrated with the situation which could prove to be something you'll deal with lifelong. Through trail and errror, and with the advice of our vet and with information from folks on this forum, we've found what helps us.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

It seems like alot of bassets are prone to this type of allergy problem.

Last edited by murraysmom; 04-27-2010 at 11:24 AM.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MissDaisyDog
Default Itching

Good Morning!
Miss Daisy goes through this every spring. Vet says it's an allergy. Miss Daisy also developed several "hot spots" on her legs and was constantly scratching and biting. The vet gave her 10mg Prednisolone in progressively lower doses. Additionally she gave her Ketocanazole (half tablet every 12 hours) for 30-90 days. Those starting working in about 4 days and now the "hot spots" are healing and the scratching is nearly stopped. ;-) GREAT HOWLS
Miss Daisy & Sadie May
MissDaisyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the input.. so glad we are not the only ones who have this issue. I myself have had a terrible allergy season this year....we had a warm spring, causing the trees to bloom all at once... ugh!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for ur advice!!! Yeah i go threw a lot of trial and error too but maybe a change in her food would help. Ill be talking to the vet tomorrow. :0)
Old 04-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hello Pensfan83 and Gracie, you are not alone in your itching problem. Mattie has the same problems when the warm weather comes along. Mat we have figure out has a reaction to grass. Cause when every she rubs her belly across the grass in the spring and summer, she gets hot spots on her belly and she digs and digs at her belly. The vet gave on some Med to give her when the hot spots show up and they help her.
It is just a trial and error in finding the right thing to help with the itching.
lvnMattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement