new owner - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 05:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new owner

I rescued a 13 week basset pup from the humane society. His name is moose! he is 22 lbs and his feet are huge! he is a cute little guy but i do need some help from the experienced owners here. I am haveing a heck of a time potty training this little booger. I will let him out every half hour and sometimes he goes outside sometimes he doesnt. it gets bad enough i let him out he doesnt go i let him in and he pees in 5 minutes after i let him in!!! seems to me to be a very stubborn breed. I think he know were to go he just doesnt feel like it. Does this sound about right to anyone else?
I also own a great dane. he is a 7month old pup.....errr giant...errr ok so he is a horse already. moose and titan get along very well. they play all the time and seem to enjoy eachothers company. no problems there! Any ways Hi thanks in advance for the help. Will chat more later
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thank goodness Moose has found you... and I know your patience with house-training Moose will be well rewarded as Bassets are the best dogs ever. Don't forget that he is just a baby and would normally have been with you for 3 or 4 weeks so he has missed the training you would have given him in this time!

As a lifelong Basset owner and lover of the breed, having had four from pups and lots of older re-homes, and having moved around a few times with hubby's job, wherever I have been (I am in the UK) the good responsible Basset breeders I have known, are reluctant to sell their puppies to people with no Basset experience because they are hounds and not dogs and have minds of their own and they don't want people to lose patience and sell them on and they insist on getting them back so that they will find a new home rather than not know where they are!

You have already found out that Basset Hounds are a very stubborn breed and you need to have a lot of patience and understanding of the breed and you can google Basset Hounds and get a lot of information. If I had more time, I would help you more but one thing I would say is not to let Bassets up and down stairs, especially when they are fully grown and are very heavy (my two are 5 stones and are big chunky Bassets) because going down stairs puts too much weight on their little front legs and their joints can get easily damaged, as can their back!

Also, I have always been told by breeders and by vets that Bassets mustn't be walked 'properly' until they are at least 10 months - one year old because of their developing joints and they have very heavy bones and their legs and feet aren't like other breeds because they consist of 'plates' that take a long time to knit/bond together and to take them on lengthy walks while they are developing can cause problems in their joints and their legs can become disfigured and then you see those awful 'Queen Anne legs'

You will get a lot of advice on here from owners but you may like to have a look at other website forums too, especially 'Champdogs' where you can ask questions and there are some reliable breeders here too.

http://www.champdogs.co.uk/

http://www.champdogsforum.co.uk/

http://www.bassetsunlimited.com/

http://www.bassetsunlimited.com/forum/

http://bassetbay.com/yabb/YaBB.pl

Puppy info here: http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/1100023/

Sorry I am short of time, but you will be helped by other Basset owners and please have patience with Moose and reward him and he will try to please you!
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

OH yes! stubborn. Its ok though my wife and i love the little man so he isnt going to go anywhere. i know it will take some time and i appreciate the help you did offer! His legs sound a lot like my great danes. they have the platlets as well no exercise as pupps etc.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Basset are much slower to housetrain than other breeds. I have never know a basset to be turely housetrained until six month and 1 year is more typical. keep in mind there is a big difference between not having accidents and housetrained. Not having accidents is only the first step in house training

From my favorite article on housetraining any dog
Housetraing Your Puppy
Quote:
Do not rely on a puppy to tell you when it's time to go out. That is expecting too much responsibility and communication at too early an age. It is up to you, the adult human, to know when he needs to go out. Watch his activity level and the clock.
A 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners.

Also keep in mind that imho the reason basset are harder to housetrain than other breeds is the develop sphincter control much later so any estimate on how long a puppy can hold it on the web and cut it by at least 50% The most imporant aspect of preventing accidents is a schedual This is not simply a schedule of when the dog eats, but also drinks and activity. This makes when the dog need to go much more predictable and therefore easier to prevent.
Alsoinvest in a black light for find hidden urine spots and an enymatic cleaner for removing odor and last remains . Dogs go in the same spot over and over again scent is a powerful indication of were it is acceptable to go. Without proper cleaning it is much harder to precent accidents.

One of the biggest failure points in housetraining is a clear signal on the part of the dog when it need to go out. Most try and let this happen organically but that often does not work. A more fool proof way is to teach the dog a signal on of the simples method is teaching the dog to ring a bell
House Training: Ring My Bell!
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like you're going through the exact same thing that I am! We already have a 3-year-old hound, and also recently brought home a second hound who is now almost 11 weeks old. Oh boy, had I forgotten just how frustrating it is to housetrain a puppy. Good luck with Moose!

Thanks for that info Mikey! It will come in handy for me too.

Last edited by Scully; 03-16-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: I'm so exhausted I forgot how to spell...
Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
One of the biggest failure points in housetraining is a clear signal on the part of the dog when it need to go out. Most try and let this happen organically but that often does not work. A more fool proof way is to teach the dog a signal on of the simples method is teaching the dog to ring a bell
House Training: Ring My Bell!
Since you mentioned ringing a bell... have a look at Frank the Basset who rings his doggy doorbell to go out!!!
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

It took Ostara a good year for her to get the hang of it. Now just only the little accident when she is home alone for a period of time. It help that I come home at lunch and my husband comes home a 3pm.
princessfogerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes Thank you for the valueable material. he is getting better. i have started timed feedings and i take him out every 20 min to half hour.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
i have started timed feedings
Not sure what you mean by this there are many book that recommend feeding puppys for 10-15 minutes twice or three times a day. My experience with this type of feeding is you end up with a overweight hound puppy. This type of feed work best in a single dog household where the dog tend to eat slower, in 10 minutes mine could finish off a 40# bag of dog food I measure out the food and adjust as need be based on the body condition of the dog.

If you have problems with accidents at night you may want to consider limiting access to water after a certain time, say 9 or 10 pm.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

by timed feedings i mean no food after 600pm and i feed 3 times a day and only leave food down for 20 min. whats left i save for the next feeding. I am now feeding tast of the wild bison to the basset. titan my great dane eats raw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement