Anxiety issues - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi,

I have a 1 y/o 2mo. Basset named Abraham (Abe). I'm married, no kids just a cockatiel. Anyway, we got Abe when he was only 9 wks. old. The lady that we got him from is very reputable and she had a cute little puppy hut that she kept the puppies and Mom in for 8 wks. I don't know if they were allowed outside (early March). Every since we got him, he seems to be scared of ALOT of things. For example, plastic bags, clanking pans, baby gates shutting closed, big trucks and especially bicycles. Thats not even the half of it. I thought at first that maybe he had a hearing problem because anything that makes noise, he's scared of. Except for bikes. His ears are well taken care of. When we go for walks, he will start out strong with his nose to the ground and tail held high. Then all of a sudden he'll look at something, not sure what (sometimes I swear it's nothing) and his heading for home with his tail between his legs. As he's pulling to go home he's looking back with fear in his eyes...and there is nothing there!!!! Even if I go to give him a treat at home, he'll be very excited but will stand back in fear of the bag the treats are in! I'll take the treat and put it over the bag and praise him to come and get it, when he reluctantly and carefully lifts it off the bag, I then tell him what a good boy he is. I've tried introducing him to a bike from a far and when he feels comfortable around it being there I'll praise him and bring the bike a little closer and he eventually gets used to it. The next day, he sees a bike and right back to where we started...scared to death of it. He also follows me not my husband as much everywhere I go. If I take a shower and close the door, I open it 1/2 hr. later and he's lying right next to the door. I'm constantly tripping over him. He gets plenty of attention, we can't help it he's honestly the cutest thing we've ever seen! When we leave, he gets bored and sometimes rips up napkins he can get a hold of but nothing really bad. I've tried kongs and balls with holes in them but everytime he gets them, he runs outside with it (doggy door) and I NEVER see them again. No idea where he hides them...he's real good at that. I've bought like 10 of them and can never find 1! hehe

Sorry so long, but I really want to help him. I don't think anything happened to him to make him this way, he's been spoiled and loved since he was a pup. We do baby him, but we discipline him when he's bad. He's a really well mannered boy (most of the time). He's also VERY sociable with humans and LOVES other dog. He goes to day-care every week. They say that when they are maxed out with 57 dogs, Abe plays with every single one of them. Any experiences or suggestions you have are much appreciated.

-Caty from Wisconsin
abe711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Sorry so long, but I really want to help him. I don't think anything happened to him to make him this way, he's been spoiled and loved since he was a pup. We do baby him, but we discipline him when he's bad. He's a really well mannered boy (most of the time). He's also VERY sociable with humans and LOVES other dog. He goes to day-care every week. They say that when they are maxed out with 57 dogs, Abe plays with every single one of them. Any experiences or suggestions you have are much appreciated.

-Caty from Wisconsin[/b]
It is possible that a lack of early socialization led to the problem but at certainly is not always the case. Shyness is a selfrewarding behavior that generally get worse over time not better, It is one behavioral trait that reliably transfer from puppyhood to adult. There is no simple cure but the folling reference should help

HELP FOR YOUR SHY DOG

and a fair review of the book
Quote:
The author gives useful, practical advice that embellishes upon only a few central themes. The primary concept around which the book is structured is that the key to helping a shy dog through life is extensive and continual training and calm leadership, "...A dog's basic personality doesn't change. However, a fearful dog can learn to compensate for her shyness. The more training she receives and the more situations she experiences, the better she compensates. Your goal with your dog will be to help with the compensation process."

To her credit, Woods is not dripping in saccharine or Pollyanna wishfulness. She warns against coddling or "enabling" shy dogs, and she is adamant that fear-biting dogs are simply unsafe to maintain in a home with children. She points out that shy dogs may learn slowly and take little pleasure in being touched. I like her use of the very appropriate term "risk-averse" as a synonym for fearfulness or shyness. The author does admit that she would never recommend that anyone intentionally acquire a shy dog and that getting the fear under control may be a long-term or lifelong challenge. She matter-of-factly discusses safety issues like muzzles and management.[/b]
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome! It sounds like Abe is sound-sensitive. You can try to desensitize a sound-sensitive dog to more common types of noises, using looped tapes, etc. However, this can be a life-long condition--at least until the dog looses his/her hearing with age.

About Noise Sensitivity
CH Bugle Bay's AllUCanEat Buffet CDX RN TDX NA CGC BHCA-VCX, 1996-2008
"Bugsie" UDX NA NAJ CGC, 1991-2006
Betsy Iole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement