Basset Odor - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down

I am beginning to have a problem with getting rid of the "hound smell" that comes with having a basset. Does anyone have any type of odor-ridding regimine that I could use to get my house back smelling fresh. I take Fred to the groomers twice a month. I've talked to other dog owners and all they say is "put him outside". Well, I don't want to do that to him. If I wanted an outside dog, I would have bought a German Shepherd or a Bloodhound. Me and my son both love our Fred/Fred and we want him to continue to live inside our home. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
FredMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to lovingbianca

Hello--
Sounds like you're already doing a lot--with those twice a month groomer visits. But, I just had to add my "2 cents" here, because it has also been a concern of mine since "adopting" Bianca. I've been successful in getting rid of houndy smells with ARM & HAMMER Carpet & Fabric Fresh. Also, 16 oz. Hydrogen Peroxide bottle with 1 T baking soda and 1 t dish detergent-- or Woolite Oxydeep. I'll really be interested, as well, to read other replies to this thread. I certainly don't want to put my furbaby outside either...
lovingbianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do a search and you'll find some articles. Diet seems to do a lot with it.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Be careful with using carpet cleaners. They do leave behind some residue which can be irritating to dogs. Also, I've read that corn in dog food can add to their smell. I also heard bathing your hound too often will actually make the smell worse. The oil glands get a signal that they are not producing enough oil and they speed up the whole process giving more of a smell off?? Don't know if it's true but I think so. Some hounds just have that odor more than others. My Maggie Mae (AT didn't have it much. Rusty also doesn't have the hound odor. Stickers, on the other hand smells very strong of hound. I personally like it. When they wake up in the morning and are warm, I think it smells like what I call "Basset Toast"!!!!!!!!!!!
Maggie's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

"Basset Toast"!!! I LOVE that! I also happen to like the hound smell. In fact, I just gave Emma a bath this weekend only because the rest of the family was telling me it was "way past bath time" Now, I don't think she smells like herself!
emmasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

As far as the house itself not smelling, here's what I do (and for the record I am NOT obsessive compulsive, I swear )...

I have plug in air fresheners in: living room, kitchen, hallway, office, spare room, bedroom, and both bathrooms (and sometimes in the laundry room). When I vacuum I use the carpet powder stuff (I keep the dogs out while doing this and go over the area 2 times to make sure all the powder is up). I also Febreeze (sp?) EVERYTHING that is "febreezeable". I have had comments from people saying "I thought you had dogs?" There's a girl I know who is very much NOT a pet person and she said before coming over for the first time she was "worried about the dog smell" that she thought my house would have, but of course because of all of the above things it didn't.

As far as the dogs themselves smelling, yeah my dogs certianly smell like hound dogs, it's a small price to pay for such great dogs.

~Heather

Miss you Lily (ATB 3/15/12) & Gibbs (6/10/14). My original "hound dogs"...lost, but never forgotten.
2hounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh, Patti!! I love the "Basset toast" idea. Bogie does not have a houndy smell at all. We bathe him about every two months, unless he rolls in something disgusting. We, too, have read that frequent bathing makes their oil glands go into overdrive contributing to the odor. Brushing Bogie every other day keeps him clean and the shedding hairs at bay.

We feed him Innova dry kibble. Bubba, at the bridge (AT, did have a "frito" like odor. He was on a corn based food that may have contributed to the odor. I loved to smell him and his blanket. Each Basset is different, just like humans, but we also have read that diet may play a roll in their odor.

I would be careful with Febreeze. Do a search on it and dogs on the internet, because there are some dogs that have have problems with its use in the home. Some people use baby wipes to freshen their dogs coat between baths.
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

It is true that each dog is different. I have two completely different dogs. Belly is short haired and "oily" ...always smells like a barn :P . No reason for it other than he might spend a little more time outdoors. He's not dirty. Just smelly.

Dixie, on the other hand ...she's fluffy and smells fresh. I don't know how to describe it. She is 8 years old and would not need a bath unless she got into something nasty. I bath her, of course ...but her white stays white and she stays clean. Perhaps a little yeasty ear smell in the summer but no "Fritos" smell as is usually described of Bassets.

They both eat the same thing. Same treats. Good foods and treats, of course. I would be the first to say that food is the reason for most smelly Bassets. But Belly is our STINKY LITTLE BARNYARD !! It only takes about three days for me to start wrinkling my nose at him.
faysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Moe smells especially 'ripe' during the hotter months, but exceptionally so when the humidity level is high (like now - you can't move without breaking a sweat :P ). And when Moe smells my furniture and rugs smell. I know the humidity is what makes it worse because the dog-smell is barely noticable when the air is dry, even if it is hot out. I bathe him every two weeks (vet's orders - he has a special shampoo that the vet thinks may help with his sebatious (sp?) cysts). After I bathe him I wash all the couch cushion covers, and spray the foam pieces and the carpets with Febreeze for Pet Odors. That keep things fresh for all of a couple days. Moe's smell is something we just live with, along with his shedding, his drooling, his way of wiping his mouth and/or nose on furniture or legs, and his messy eating habit. I will miss ALL his messy habits when he is gone...

And speaking of his cysts, Moe had ANOTHER one burst a few days ago, resulting in yet another trip to the vet. He's on antibitics again. I think I personally financed part of the vet's new addition...
Old 07-31-2007, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
As far as the house itself not smelling, here's what I do (and for the record I am NOT obsessive compulsive, I swear )...

I have plug in air fresheners in: living room, kitchen, hallway, office, spare room, bedroom, and both bathrooms (and sometimes in the laundry room). When I vacuum I use the carpet powder stuff (I keep the dogs out while doing this and go over the area 2 times to make sure all the powder is up). I also Febreeze (sp?) EVERYTHING that is "febreezeable". I have had comments from people saying "I thought you had dogs?" There's a girl I know who is very much NOT a pet person and she said before coming over for the first time she was "worried about the dog smell" that she thought my house would have, but of course because of all of the above things it didn't.

As far as the dogs themselves smelling, yeah my dogs certianly smell like hound dogs, it's a small price to pay for such great dogs.

~Heather[/b]

Thanks for your suggestion. The hound smell doesn't bother me. Fred's houndy smell is okay; I just don't want the house to have that same smell.
FredMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement