New to the Forum, couple questions. - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question New to the Forum, couple questions.

How's it going everyone? I'm new to this, and I have a couple questions.

I currently have a Golden Retriever, but I plan on moving into an apartment soon, and my mom is going to keep him, since it's technically hers, and I can't have her living alone with no one. So, I've been looking around for other smaller dogs to get once I do move.

My questions are:
1) Are Bassets good apartment dogs?
2) Are they okay with being alone for around 6-8 hours during the day while I'm at work?
3) Are they easily potty trained?

I've been wanting a Basset for a long time, and I think it's about time to pull the trigger and pick up one of these gorgeous dogs.

Thank you in advance. -Rob.
Robknowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think i might have put this in the wrong thread, so if a mod sees it, you're more than welcome to move it.
Robknowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robknowles View Post
How's it going everyone? I'm new to this, and I have a couple questions.

I currently have a Golden Retriever, but I plan on moving into an apartment soon, and my mom is going to keep him, since it's technically hers, and I can't have her living alone with no one. So, I've been looking around for other smaller dogs to get once I do move.

My questions are:
2) Are they okay with being alone for around 6-8 hours during the day while I'm at work?

I've been wanting a Basset for a long time, and I think it's about time to pull the trigger and pick up one of these gorgeous dogs.

Thank you in advance. -Rob.
Welcome and good luck however you decide.
1. Not really. Maybe if on bottom floor with no stairs but they need a fenced yard or lots of walks.
2. Bassets can do it but they are very social. Most likely would have to crate train so they stay out of trouble.
3. Not unless you call it possibly taking up to a year easy. It can be done faster but if your gone 6 - 8 hrs a day it will require lots of work. They are the best dogs in the world and well worth it although it helps to have a sense of humor.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have had bassets for 30 years and I've lived in apartments at 75% of that time. I second the no stairs thing. Our condo is ground floor. He has a dog door to the fenced patio so he can watch people go by. That helps when he needs to be home for hours by himself.

Our house is dog proofed. Everything is 6 feet above the ground or in locked drawers. Our book shelves have gates on them to keep him out of the books. All electric cords are well protected.

He can actually roll a desk chair around the room to use to reach things. Never underestimate how smart they are and determined. The reason they are so gorgeous is that they have to be, otherwise they would have been extinct a long time ago. We don't own a phone or remote control that doesn't have teeth marks on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

ours was straight forward to potty train. started by taking her out literally every 10 mins.

re: leaving alone.ours not alone that much/long. my guess would be at least would like the company of another dog
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My questions are:

1) Apartment living, no problems if you're on the ground floor with no steps & a secure garden. I'm sure some owners have steps but from experience I wouldn't, not good for a pup unless you make it into a ramp, they can struggle with more & I'd never leave even an adult unsupervised.
2/3) Personally again I wouldn't leave any dog alone for that length of time, dogs are gregarious creatures, especially Bassets they love & thrive with company, will follow you around the house. How will you deal with a pup, feeding it, house training can take months when I'd want to be there they don't do it on their own. Don't know what arrangements your thinking of putting in place to let the pup out, but would you really leave a young dog alone for that length of time. Howling or baying is one way a hound will express stress, have you heard a Basset bay because your neighbours certainly will. It took one of our males some weeks to get over separation anxiety when I left him at night - I ended up sleeping on the floor near him & moving further away each night - & it sounded like the hound of the baskervilles. Even 8 years on he still doesn't like being left for more than a few hours, when my OH was seriously ill & often rushed into hospital either had to call on friends to sit with the boys or they came with me in the back of the car. I'm sure there are people that manage it & their dogs settle, but it's not something I could do or ever advise.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi,
I would agree that stairs are probably not the best for bassets, a slinky going down stairs comes to mind!
My 2yr old basset is never happier than when she is left in the house while I work. Have an enclosed pen outside with house for her but she just wants to be on the sofa inside all day. I spend lunch with her for an hour everyday as I work around the corner but I would definitely recommend bassets as a house dog.
Only major problem I can envisage is toilet training, my girl took 8 months to be accident free but if you get her in a good routine being inside should be fine.
Just remember to get down to her level and dog proof EVERYTHING and buy plenty of toys, many a plant and pair of shoes I have lost!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Megwepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement