Who says Bassets aren't smart? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Who says Bassets aren't smart?

I am new to the forum but I want to encourage people compete their Bassets in obedience.

My Basset beats the pants of all the other fancy breads and ALWAYS impresses the judges. I always say "I don't need to win, I just need to beat everyone else"

He has his APDT Level 1 Title with an Award of Excellence for having all his scores above 190.

APDT Level 2, one qualifying score of 204 and a first place ribbon

AKC Novice, one qualifying score of 93 and a first place ribbon, the next highest score in his class was an 80!

We are going to start AKC Obedience Beginner Novice as soon as I can get into a show in my area, they fill up so fast!
Jill112982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
We are going to start AKC Obedience Beginner Novice as soon as I can
you got the off leash heel you can start at Novice if you want.
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
you got the off leash heel you can start at Novice if you want.
We do not have the long downs...he gets ADD and kinda just wanders to me.

Do you do agility with your dog? I want to try! I would love to see the looks I would get!
Jill112982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

I go to Obedience with Bella and we've just been taken on by a new trainer with a view to competing in field trials over here in the UK, we just have to start agility this summer and hopefully she's going to be ready for starter comps in 2013, we're lucky that cross breeds can compete in KC field trials they just have to be over 18 months old to start agility.

Have to admit that last night's obedience class was her best yet and she is really showing that she has a brain and is fairly willing but does have her stubborn moments.

Great vids btw.
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Do you do agility with your dog?

usdaa grand Prix

Mariah usdaa Masters performance dog,Performance Jumpers Champion - Bronze, Performance Relay Champion - Bronze,Performance Snooker Champion - Bronze,Performance Tournament Master 2005 USDAA agility top ten Performance Snooker*

top ten in the country all
dogs at her jump height and class.

Quote:
We do not have the long downs...he gets ADD
toughy's specialty was the exercises that did not require movement. A dog fight occur over the top of him in obedience class and he did not move.

Quote:
I want to try! I would love to see the looks I would get!
at any given time there is about 20-30 basset in the country competeing in various venue. There are not many that do USDAA which as the highest jump height requires and fastest sct (standard course times) than any of the other venues.

You may want to check out the yahoo group bassetagility about getting start and there are a number of thread here. There are probably more basset in agility than formal obedience but a lot of the agility bassets cross over to rally.

Last edited by Mikey T; 02-15-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am also new to this forum, My grand pa was a big hunter now he is in old age approximately 93 years old. He like dogs very much, he has a sound knowledge about many types of dogs. I join this forum to get the knowledge about dogs and share it with my grand pa.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
I am also new to this forum, My grand pa was a big hunter now he is in old age approximately 93 years old. He like dogs very much, he has a sound knowledge about many types of dogs. I join this forum to get the knowledge about dogs and share it with my grand pa.
You should start a new thread and introduce yourself, your pets and grandpa. Welcome
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Not for one second do I contribute to the idea that Bassets aren't smart

I started one of my bitches in organised Obedience classes some years ago now - her dad had his Am.Obedience title, as well as being a conformation Champion so, I thought, why not. As long as she's enjoying it. Unfortunately the local classes we went to were run by somebody into the Doberman, and you don't train a Basset as you do a Doberman (NO food bribes) She was actually quite good although she would 'cut corners' when heeling..... well her logic (quite right) suggested rather than go to a corner and turn left, do the shortest distance between point A and point B. The trainer didn't quite agree! Once I was asked to get a bit more tough with her, she stopped having fun. We left.

I suggest if what you want to do with your Basset floats both your boat, and his/hers, then go for it.

Add - Just watched the agility - I never knew you could get a Basset to use the A-frame, or the see-saw..... brilliant!!

Last edited by FranksMum; 12-02-2012 at 08:57 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Jackson likes the A-frame! We took him to a beginning agility class this fall and he loved it.
Austin&Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement