Tell me about agility - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Princess Peanut Buttercup-- i looked at Wikipedia and that had a nice intro to agility and pics of the equipment & explanations. i think we have Intro to Agility classes here, so we will try that. but agreed, so much to learn about.... baby steps first, i guess.

my person read about it as a kid, and envisioned getting a Shetland sheepdog to do agility with, but she ended up with me, haha.

MikeyT-- thanks for all the info on this and also for the referral. Is Sara Watson a basset person?

Detective Worm at work and i found this:
Product

is that her?

Also, it said on Wikipedia that the person has to get the dogs to go through the course WITHOUT TREATS. yikes! i don't listen if there's no treats available!!! but i can be an angel and quite obedient when there is food. do ya think it will still work for me to try this

--Worm
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Don't worry, Wworm, you still get treats, they'll just teach you how to wait for them until the run is over.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

[quite]Is Sara Watson a basset person? [/quite]

She is a lot like Mirriam [soundtracts) If there is an activity available she does with basset conformation, agility, rally field trials etc.

The think to remember about agility vs other dogsports in in general the training of the human is the more difficult aspect of agility training vs the training of the dog.

As Mirriam says you work up to but there is in genera lots of treats involve in agility train. With the herding breed often play is tlhe reward. The basic Training methodology Is use which is and ,why you see lots of referrance to her, was developed by susan Garrett. Which is basical reward for motion is motion the reward for position is food. But you can reward motion with motion in the form of food with either a food tube or a jackpot toy which holds food. Tug is generally the play of choice in agility for a reward and there are tug toys made specificaly that act as a food reward as well

For a few ideas on how to incorproate food with toy and transfer the valus of food to the toys see;

HOW TO CREATE A MOTIVATING TOY

2×2 Weave Pole Training with a Food Only Motivated Dog
[quote]One of the best food-toys on the market to start a dog that is truly unmotivated by toys is the “Tug it”
toy. I am a big fan of this food transition toy. The Tug-It is an awesome way to move away from exclusively using food, to incorporating a toy in your training. Even if you never make the transition, you can just use Tug-it stuffed with food for all of your regular training.[/guotel]

Tug It Training Toy

food stuffable jackpot toys

and a motivational article for ya

Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wworm View Post
Cool! thanks Mr. Mikey for the cool info & for the encouragement Mrs. Soundtrack.

so happy to hear i can still do it, being the food-motivated guy i am (and not really motivated by anything else, well except maybe purty basset gals like Paisley, but she's in Ontario)....

Mikey-- is that the Sara Watson person u mean in the link above??
just want to check w/u before i contact her.

if so, we might be acquainted already, kinda sorta. i believe i get emails from her from a different basset forum....
--Worm
Old 09-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
that the Sara Watson person u mean in the link above??
Yes. I emailed her and she is looking forward to hearing from you I will send you here address through PM
Old 09-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Kewl!!!!

Thanks Mr. Mikey.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default Bay Area Agility Trainers

Hi Wworm,
I think you are on the SF Peninsula. If so, there's at least two Agility Trainers nearby you might want to check out. One is Anne Kejava at Jumpin' Java (in Redwood City). The other is located at Ace Dog Sports--Sandy Rogers. She's in South San Francisco. The San Bruno Dog Training club--they have classes at the College of San Mateo--does a beginning/back yard agility class some times. I think you can find most of the contact info on the web--if not, and you are interested, send me a pm. There's at least one other in this area, but I suspect they may not be Basset friendly.
I don't compete in Agility, but I've been to Anne's classes. Very welcoming to all breeds.

Grace, TD, CGC
Bella, UD, VER, TD, RE, CGC
Pearl,UD, TDX, RE, CGC (Waiting at the Bridge)
Samantha, Theodore, CGC, Louella, Zeke and Arty, Bassets All; (All Waiting at the Bridge)

Last edited by shallhb; 09-07-2011 at 10:08 PM.
shallhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

In Dallas there is at least one dog training business that holds "agility for fun" classes that aren't competitive at all. You may be able to find something like this where you are.

This is who I am referring to for those in DFW: Classes & Registration
Agility JUST FOR FUN:

Quote:
This class is JUST FOR FUN. Not for anyone that is serious about competing in agility with their dog. We will be working on jumps, a low dog walk, tunnels, etc. It would be nice if your dog will come when you call them, and will sit and stay, but not absolutely necessary. This will be a fun time with you and your dog. This is a 6-week class to introduce all the obstacles.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
We will be working on jumps, a low dog walk, tunnels, etc.

Foundation competition classes spend most if not all the time on things that are not agility obstacles the the only real agility obstacle being jump in jump training.

Those thinking about doing agility for fun generally are board in competition foundation classes.

Last edited by Mikey T; 09-10-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallhb View Post
Hi Wworm,
I think you are on the SF Peninsula. If so, there's at least two Agility Trainers nearby you might want to check out. One is Anne Kejava at Jumpin' Java (in Redwood City). The other is located at Ace Dog Sports--Sandy Rogers. She's in South San Francisco. The San Bruno Dog Training club--they have classes at the College of San Mateo--does a beginning/back yard agility class some times. I think you can find most of the contact info on the web--if not, and you are interested, send me a pm. There's at least one other in this area, but I suspect they may not be Basset friendly.
I don't compete in Agility, but I've been to Anne's classes. Very welcoming to all breeds.
Wow! Thanks for the references, Mrs. Sharon. mecan't waits to get started!

... and while i'm at the San Bruno Dog Training club, i'll break into the Youtube headquarters with Boomah's nitting stick & my Brat Pack using all their ninja skills, and we will GET those videos back fer ya, Lucy & Lottie...!!!! (ok, it's just a dream, but still....)

--Worm
Advertisement