Knee Surgery - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to DaisyMaesMommy
Default Knee Surgery

Hello all,

I have been out of the loop for quite some time. You probably do not remember us, I was a new basset slave a few years ago from California. I have now relocated my zoo to Kentucky. DaisyMae and Sgt Copper (beagle) now have about 2 1/2 acres to run on and a pond in the middle. They love it! We since added another member, Sophia, a three year old Umbrella Cockatoo. As if being owned by a basset was not enough of a challenge!!! I adopted her from a friend who became ill and unable to care for her.

I am in the second two week recovery period for DaisyMae. She had knee surgery and the doctor feels it was a total success. We found she had a knee problem by accident after her slipping on ice and dislocating her knee. Ice and snow have been a totally new experience for DaisyMae and Sgt Copper. We had to do a crash course in crate training...here is my plug for crate training for such times...and DaisyMae has accepted the crate wonderfully. She was getting quite board after the 1st week of being confined but we made it through the 2 weeks. She is now allowed out of the crate during the day, but still no furnature jumping, running or stairs. I do not know what the third 2 week period will entail.

We also found a problem with her hip in that same fall, but at this point the dr felt the knee was most urgent. We may have to undergo hip surgery in the future. He is hopeful that getting the knee to function properly will take some of the strain off the hip.

Has anyone else experienced all this? Do you have any other suggests for DaisyMae's recovery? Sgt Copper is going nuts not being able to play with his sissy.

Take care!
Deb

ps. I have a wonderful sound clip of DaisyMae, Sgt Copper and Sophia singing...I will have to get it posted on line and give you all the link.
In loving memory of my Jasmine our Lab/Shep mix (died age 15) and Sgt. Copper our Beagle (died age 5). Currently owned by DaisyMae (Basset Artesian Norman age 9), Jasmine II & Buster Bleu (Beagle Huskey mix litter mates age 5), Holly (Schillerstovare Hound age 3), Cpt. Morgan (Basset Hound age 1 1/2) ... All rescues! and our Umbrella Cockatoo Sophia (age 8) ... also a rescue.
Visit My Website
DaisyMaesMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T
Default Re: Knee Surgery

Zephyr following surgery was required to be crate confined for six months. This did take a pyschological toll. It certainly did increase the personnal shape she demanded when arround other dogs. Minimizing longtime confinement while still limiting activty as prescibe by the vet is my only advice and it sound like that is just what you are doing.

While a bit controversial you may want to consider a doggy chiropracter. If a fall did that much damage it is certainly has cause a misalignment, Also when there is an injury the dog compensates for it putting it further out of alignment. When we first got mariah she was diagnosed with mild Hip displysia and her development in the rear was terribly asymetrical way way more muscle development oddly enough on the side with the bad hip. She had four visits at the conculsion of which she was much more symetrical Three years later she has the most muscular rear end of any basset I have ever seen. Not often the butt of a basset is bigger than the Chest.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mikey,

Fortunely for us, DaisyMae is also very muscular, otherwise we would have seen more difficulty in her hip. I will certainly seek out a chiropracter in my are. I never even thought to do so even tho I used one with my belated Jasmine for a spine problem. As far as the knee, it was not a result of the injury, but the injury allowed us to find out she had a "floating" knee cap that was continually dislocating. I did not realize one of her stretching movements that she has always done, was her way of relocating the knee cap.
In loving memory of my Jasmine our Lab/Shep mix (died age 15) and Sgt. Copper our Beagle (died age 5). Currently owned by DaisyMae (Basset Artesian Norman age 9), Jasmine II & Buster Bleu (Beagle Huskey mix litter mates age 5), Holly (Schillerstovare Hound age 3), Cpt. Morgan (Basset Hound age 1 1/2) ... All rescues! and our Umbrella Cockatoo Sophia (age 8) ... also a rescue.
Visit My Website
Old 02-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I thought you might like to see DaisyMaes progress.

This was as we arrived home from the hospital.

Sgt Copper really wants to play with his sissy.

Staples are out.

Enjoying a little sunshine after two long weeks of confinement.

Looking none the wear.

The whole family.
Visit My Website
Old 02-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Beautiful dogs and a great looking bird.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...m/scan0001.jpg
copsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Basset Artesian Norman!! Always wondered what they looked like. Beautiful hound.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am assuming that by dislocation that daisymae dislocated the pettela (knee cap)

FWIW Zephyr's surgery was at first exploratory cuz nothing showed up on the xrays. The cause of her problem was streching the digital flexor tendon. It runs through a notch in the knee. It cause inflamation around the knee even though the tendon runs from above the knee down to the foot.

Given that soft tissue injuries especially tendons and ligaments heal much more slowly than bone, she was in a hard cast for 3 weeks and progessively softer immobilizing wraps for an additional 9 weeks. With the cast from thigh to completely covering the foot the only way she could move at all was extending the leg behind her and walk on three legs with a towel wrapped around her abdomin so a human could grab both end to help support her rear end.

btw DaisyMae looks a lot like Zephyr. From what I can tell niether have a white tip on the tail.

add from clean run magazine

PS all photos taken after the surgery.

[ February 24, 2006, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Mikey T ]
Old 02-25-2006, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mikey,
Thank you for the pictures, this gives me hope that DaisyMae will see a full recovery. I know its going to be quite slow. Maybe I was not real clear about the injury. She had the injury months ago and had a great deal of swelling and lameness. As a result I rushed her (yes RUSHED lol) to her doctor. It was during his exam and xrays that he discovered she did not have the groove for the knee and it was floating around. While in surgery he was able to see that the surface below her knee cap was slick as glass and had no groove to keep the knee in line. Fortunely she did not have severe tissue damage. Aside from a few arthritus spurs, we should be good to go after her rehabilitation time. And yes Zephyr you can fly!!!

Yes they do look like they could be related. DaisyMae had a few white hairs in the tip of her tail when we first got her at 5 months old, but they are gone now...she has a solid black upper with red underside tail. She does have the 4 white toes but only one fully white foot. By breed standard it would be prefered she have four fully white feet...but she knows she is beautiful and fully a friend and pet. We decided early against breeding, my gut told me she was not strong enough and now as she ages my gut is confirmed. She would have passed on bad genes. So as beautiful as she is, I wish I could have seen her pups, but then I would have had to keep every one of them!

[ February 25, 2006, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: DaisyMaesMommy ]
Visit My Website
Old 02-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Bugsie had the same surgery as DaisyMae, for patellar luxation ("slipping kneecap"), when she was a little over a year and a half old. She recovered fully and went on to earn numerous obedience titles that required quite a bit of jumping.
CH Bugle Bay's AllUCanEat Buffet CDX RN TDX NA CGC BHCA-VCX, 1996-2008
"Bugsie" UDX NA NAJ CGC, 1991-2006
Betsy Iole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

"Bugsie...went on to earn numerous obedience titles that required quite a bit of jumping"
if i"m not mistaken there is an agility title in there also

Karen In Washington state had both of Annies Knees done and was back competing as well at the Excellent level in AKC.

I have no facts to back it up but I think that recovery time is less and the long term success of the surgery greater when the cause of the luxation is cause by a lack of grove in the bone rather than a weakness in the petella tendon and other soft tissue to hold it in place. Just follow doctors orders and she be as good as new.

Saddly Luxating Patella's a too common in the breed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement