Normal Weight - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2005, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Normal Weight

I have a 6 month old, he is 35 pounds. I have tried to find out what is the normal wieght for a male basset at that age, if anyone has any info please pass it along.
Jrod867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2005, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Twinkie's Mum

Default Re: Normal Weight

Hi Jerod: I'm not an expert in basset pups, but from what I have read on the boards here, I don't think your puppy's weight is beyond the limits. Some of these dogs get pretty heavy. If your vet isn't worried, I think you're ok.

I'm also sure that you'll get some more responses from the folks on here who know better than I. Keep checking back!
Old 07-02-2005, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Our nine month old female is around 35 lbs, so I think a six month old male at that weight would not be too far off. Keep an eye on his weight. The rule seems to be that you should be able to feel, but not see, his ribs. Watch out for him getting too overweight, because it is more likely that he will suffer joint and back problems as he gets older (and other stuff as well, I'm sure!!). Having said that, fully grown weights seem to vary a lot within the norm, depending on the build of the dog. So, a full grown male could weigh between 50-75lbs and probably be a healthy weight.

I'm sure others will have more info for you, I'm a pretty amateur basset owner!
Old 07-22-2005, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

When I got my pup last month he was about 7mths old and weighed in at 44lbs. YET the vet said he was too thin under his ribcage, not emaciated she said but you could surely feel the ribs and the hollow under it.

A month later and he is looking good.. will have a weigh in next week at vets to see what he has put on but in my opinion you can't go by the pounds it needs to go per individual dog.

Some dogs are bigger than others esp males.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think it pretty much depends on the dogs "build" My current foster boy just turned 8 months old, and at 35 pounds is thinish, but looks good. At 11 months Winnie was only 35 pounds, now grown up he's close to 65 pounds and just about right, but he's a tall guy. Scoochie just weighed in at 57 but he's short and bigger boned, really seems to have more of a classic basset...short legs, big chest
winnieslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Anonymous

When I rescued Belvedere, he was 11 months old and 35 lbs. Long and skinny, with ribs showing. The vet said he'd gain quickly once I started him on the Nutro and treats. He knows Bassets! He said to be sure NOT to give him the PUPPY formula at this point ...he said to go straight to the regular formula and when he gained 10-15 lbs, switch to the "healthy weight" or whatever it's called. We call it the Fat Boy Plan.

I think he said we needed to get right into the glucosomine (sp?)and chondroiton suppliments ( that are in the large breed formula) because this breed tends to have problems with weight and joints pretty early if they get overweight.

He's a pretty big guy now. Males get big.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

My brother-in-law had a big guy! Edgar was 90 pounds, but he had a HUGE frame and he was not fat at all! Dudley seems to be a svelt 65 pounds. I think Edgar was part tank.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Taylor had a vet appt today and weighed in at 49lbs so he has gained 5lbs in 6 wks.. vet was pleased
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Benny is 6 months old and weighs in at about 30-32 lbs. The vet said that he looks good for his size, but i think that he could still stand to gain a little more.

http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=156753&j=t
JBordelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement