blue basset - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default blue basset

We have added 2 new members to our family one of which is a blue(5mo). I have read many different opinions on the blue's, some say they are to have many extra problems and are not desirer able and others vise versa. Can someone please give any back ground on the subject? Thanks
2hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2005, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: blue basset

In Bassets, blue is not generally regarded as a desirable coat color. Blues can develop a skin condition called Color Dilution Alopecia.
CH Bugle Bay's AllUCanEat Buffet CDX RN TDX NA CGC BHCA-VCX, 1996-2008
"Bugsie" UDX NA NAJ CGC, 1991-2006
Betsy Iole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

The subject of blue bassets pops up at least once a year. I agree with Betsy that the blue is not a desirable coat color in the basset. However a blue basset will make just as wonderful a companion as any other color basset.

The problem is actually breeders who purposely breed for this trait. And some go so far as to say blue bassets are more valuable and charge a higher price.

Enjoy your pups.
Barbara Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks, I want to make sure that my vet has this information so we can watch for signs.
I agree that if the blue coat does have extra problems someone should not be breeding for the color alone. We were lead to belief blue was no different than any other color. Luckly we did not get caught by the extra charge issue. Dolly will be well taking care of. Thanks again
2hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like Dolly's in good hands. Thanks for posting the photos of her and her littermate on the other thread. It's nice to be able to see so clearly the contrast between her coat color and her littermate's black.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mwfulkerson

I have never met anyone with first hand experience of a Basset Hound(blue/white/tan) with this skin condition.
It is allways I heard they have skin problems,someone told me they have skin problems,dobermans have problems so bassets must have them.
None on this Forum has come forward and said I have a blue basset and it has colour dilution Alopecia.
Until someone can give me firsthand experience of this condition on their Basset I have not seen evidence that it happens to Basset hounds.
I challenge anyone with firsthand experience to come forward.Evidence will prove to me that this is a condition of blue basset hounds.
The issue of blue bassets being an undesirable colour can stand on it`s own without the fear mongering.
mwfulkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mwfulkerson:
*The issue of blue bassets being an undesirable colour can stand on it`s own without the fear mongering.
Well, that's a bit of an over-reaction. It's not as if CDA is a death sentence. :roll:

CDA is listed as one of multiple genetic conditions that has been reported to affect Basset Hounds in Control of Canine Genetic Diseases, George A. Padgett DVM, ISBN: 0-87605-004-6. Sources for breeds reported to have affected individuals include 45 referenced books, OFA and VMDB records, case presentations at MSU, and approx. 1100 papers dating back to 1934.

You also state that the issue of blue coat color in bassets being undesirable can stand on its own, presumably in the absence of associated health problems. I'm not sure I follow this...how would blue coat color stand on its own as being undesirable? The standard says "any hound color", which includes blue, and blue coat color is not faulted or disqualified in the standard. Hypothetically, if there were no known health problems, why would blue coat color be undesirable?
Old 02-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

As note in previous threads about blue which may not longer exist at one time "blue" was not a color allowed under the breed standard. When the AKC justifible want all references to another breed removed from the breed standard the basset standard changed from all "fox hound colors" to simply all hound colors, now making colors previous disallowed that occur in sight hounds like blue acceptable in bassets. There has been debate about the appropriatness of this change in the past but there does not seem to be the will of the BHCA membership to restrict colors back down to what was once the standard.

Rheegs my blue beegle does have a bit of CDA most notable on her ears an muzzle but is much improved with a better diet

When I first got her from MSPCA she had no hair on her ears and the hair less patch above her nose almost reach between her eyes.

[ February 27, 2005, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Toughynutter ]
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement