hip dysplasia - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hip dysplasia

I just found out that my 2 year old male basset has hip dysplasia. I am devastated. He is on Glucosamine and Deramaxx currently and I have been reading about surgical options. Any advice or opinions out there.

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: hip dysplasia

I'm sorry this happened to your two year old,usually when this young of a dog has it then there is a hereditary factor involved. If you still know who the breeder is you should let them know about this,they probably won't be too happy to hear from you and they may or may not do something about the problem like not breed the dogs in his line again. But at least you did the right thing. He is young,somewhere down the line your Vet may need to operate on him to repair or add new hip sockets but just take it as it comes he can still live a long happy life.

[ February 17, 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: bubbad ]
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I plan to notify the breeder. She said her plans were to breed the mother and father twice and then no more. I saw the parents and I they looked fine. My vet said this can skip generations so she probably didn't know. I know now you can send xrays into an organization of the breeding dogs and keep track of problems and also get a "certified" no dysplasia dog. Oh, well...I am taking this one day at a time. He doesn't show any signs of pain, just a little bunny hopping or skipping for now.
At least I know that he will get the best treatment possible with me. He is a very happy dog, loves to play. Loves all dogs and humans. He is so dear to me....we will get through this.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

hip dysplasia unfortunately is very common in the breed see the stats But you don't here about it much. The reason is hip dysplasia is not nearly the debilating problem in bassets as it is for many of the larger breed dogs for the reason

Baseets carry less percentage of weight on the rear of any dog because the carry the heaviest percentage on the fron legs

The have the largest bone mass as compared to overall weight of any breed ie more bone. More bone means thicker bigger bones and joint area to cover there overall mass therefore less stress on the poor hips

Bassets have short leges, this mean exponentially less torque and stress on the hip as tall dogs.

Therefore many basset are dysplastic without showing any signs. You need to take these factors into consideration when weighing the surgical option. The surgery it self will cause some arthritis to form, will it be greater or less than that which will form in a "basset" hips because of the laxcitity in the joint often times surgery is not the best option, using chondroprotective compounds, antioxidents, moderate exersise and most important of all controling the dogs weight are often more effective. I would strongly recommend consulting with a orthopeadist that knows the breed well
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

"little bunny hopping or skipping for now"

normal gate for many especial in transition from a trot - canter-gallop not an indication that something is wrong
Old 02-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the information of this subject. My vet is quite conservative and would not recommend surgery unless there is no other option. He clearly has said, let's see how he does on the glucosamine and anti-inflamatory first. He did say this is one of the worst cases he's seen. The femoral head looks like a disk not a ball. I have noticed him having problems for about 6 months. Naturally his is about the most playful basset ever......At the dog park people are always saying "I've never seen a basset run that fast!!" He clearly shows signs now of lameness after he has been sleeping. He also would opt to stay at the dog park for hours if I would let him.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

I guess I forgot to say he has had xrays clearly showing the deformity.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

It use to be that the Orthopedic Foundation Assocation was the only organization to certify hips,but I believe Penn Hip can also certify now. They rate hips by, Exellent,Good,Fair,and Bad or non-certifiable. The problem lies with how long it takes to make itself known. They cannot be certified before the age of 2 years. Many breeders giving health guarantees only go a year(even for some large breeds).It is just something someone who is purchasing a puppy needs to be aware of in most breeds.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

penn-hipp which measures hip laxtity can be done much earlier see Reliability of the Method"It was concluded that hip evaluation in German shepherd dogs should not begin before 16 weeks of age. Other breeds of dogs require similar longitudinal evaluation to determine the earliest meaningful age for radiographic testing. Interestingly, the OFA score at 4 months was not capable of predicting later hip score meaning that in this study there was no scientific support for using preliminary OFA score at 4 months as an early screening tool. Even when comparing 12-month OFA scores with 24-month OFA scores, the correlation of 0.39, although statistically significant, was too low to be clinically useful."

16 weeks is early enough to make Juvenile Pubic Symphysiodesis a real option

Effects of pubic symphysiodesis in dysplastic puppies

Investigational procedure shows promise for hip dysplasia-prone puppies"At present, we believe that JPS is optimally performed between 16 and 20 weeks of age. This means that puppies, of breeds prone to hip dysplasia, must be screened for hip laxity at 16 weeks of age using the PennHIP method. Puppies with excessive laxity and no radiographic evidence of degenerative joint disease are currently considered candidates for this procedure. It is mandatory that ovariohysterectomy or orchidectomy be performed at the same time to eliminate the dog from the gene pool"

Early Detection of Hip Dysplasia with PennHIP Radiographs
Old 02-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Toughy,once again you have done it!!! you got the best links around.i just found a Vet that is about 5 miles from my house that does the the PennHip test. i would really like to have these tests done on my field dogs just for peace of mind that i know what there hips are like for my own breeding program.i now that there our some field dogs out there that will not win conformation shows,but striving to breed the best hunting dogs with the best conformation is a good goal to have.So far any dog that we have owned has not had any hip problems,but documenting it,is even better!!!
Advertisement