Spinal isssues?? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Location: Columbia, Tn just south of Nashville on the family farm where I grew up.
Default Spinal isssues??

My Ellie is now 3 months old. I have noticed her back is not as straight as it should be, slightly rounded in the middle, and tail sticks pretty much straight out. She appears to be in no pain whatsoever and eating and pooping as normal. We went to our vet and he was not concerned but did take xrays to be sure. There were no abnormalties in her disc alignment or anything else. He said these dogs sometimes hit growth spurts that may cause a temporary change like this. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Did it go away? Our family vet has been with us for over 20 years, so I am hoping he is not dismissing my concerns as being overly cautious.

Thanks in advance for any input.
I'ma Bassetcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

" He said these dogs sometimes hit growth spurts that may cause a temporary change like this" that is true but there is no way but time to know if it will self correct or not
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

our sophie is that way. was that way as a pup. a slight arch. she's five now. no change and doesn't seem to be causing a problem
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

With a long backed breed like the Basset, much as the spine should be supported by the ribcage provided it goes back far enough, sometimes a roach does happen. I had a puppy (we bred) who had quite a pronounced roach at the 4 months he was when I flew with him out to Geneva (from London). I was worried about it, but by the time he was fully mature, later photos showed a level topline. The tail is an extension of the spine, but frankly if your vet, who took x-rays, wasn't worried about what he saw on x-ray, I'd not be worried either.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Columbia, Tn just south of Nashville on the family farm where I grew up.

Thanks so much for your input. I feel much better now, but do hope That it levels out some.
I'ma Bassetcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement