PMDS.....not well known by owners or vets - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2017, 06:48 AM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

http://www.kennelliitto.fi/sites/def...a_englanti.pdf
"The utilization of a DNA test that is not accurate or applicable in a breed
may result in potential breeding animals being excluded inappropriately. Or even worse, a dog may falsely be judged as being free from a disease mutation.
There are several potential reasons for a genetic test not being reliable or applicable. The genetic

background of the disease may be more complex than is considered or detected by the test (e.g., with additional genes and/or environmental factors involved) which may result in discrepancy between the genotype (test result) and phenotype (the clinical status) of a dog. In addition, the test may be validated for one or a few breeds, but not for others. The test may also be irrelevant in the sense that the disease does
not occur, or is very rare, in the breed concerned. Applying a test that is irrelevant or inaccurate may result in focus being taken away from more important issues with respect to health and wellbeing"

Bottom line
It is bad policy to use A test not validated for that particular breed when making breeding decisions.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Interesting...in humans it appears there are two different types of PMDS with two different gene mutations.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pers..._duct_syndrome
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith
Pumpkin - Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

from one of my earlier links
Researches Concerning the Molecular Testing of Basset Hound Dogs For Detecting PMDS | POP | Bulletin of University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Cluj-Napoca. Veterinary Medicine
The Persistent Müllerian Duct Syndrome (PMDS), a rare form of dog male pseudo-hermaphroditism, it has been previously studied from a molecular aspect in miniature schnauzers by Matsuu et al. (2009), which detected an affected case, positive to Sry gene detection by PCR. The molecular testing for PMDS syndrome has not yet been performed at Basset Hound dogs, although affected cases exist. The aim of our research was to test the previously published protocol for Sry gene detection in an affected PMDS Basset Hound family so as to develop a possible molecular method for genotyping. The study was performed on 11 Basset Hound individuals, among which 1 affected male and 2 non-affected carrier. The protocol was applied accordingly to the one previously published by Matsuu et al. (2009). The DNA was extracted from peripheral blood samples using a specific DNA extraction kit (Isolate II, Bioline, England). Briefly, the PCR technique was performed on 25 µl of mixture containing: 12.5 µl MasterMix (Bioline), 1 µl Primer Forward and 1 µl of Primer Reverse, 6.5 µl DNA-free nuclease PCR water (Sigma Aldrich, Germany). The PCR products were visualized in 2% agarose gel stained with EvaGreen (Sigma, England). The tested protocol has shown specificity in the case of the positive affected male, showing a ligh-band at 104 base pairs in the agarose gel. All the other samples were tested negative for Sry gene. Given the fact that this protocol does not use a restriction enzyme for possible detection of genotypes and carriers, we could not differentiate the carriers from the non-affected individuals. This protocol can be used only in the case of affected males but does not distinguish the carriers from the non-carriers. We should furtherly investigate other candidate genes for PMDS, such as MISRII, for the possible detection of female and male carriers."

While this molecular test is useless for dog breeder because it can only detect affected males. because the same test did work in basset hounds as Mini Schnauzers it makes it more probable the same gene is the cause. As I understand a gene in basset has been Identified but so far the sample size of affected and carrier is too small to be sure it is definitive so researchers are actively seeking more samples from affecteds.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default PMDS via Holland

From my contact within the Dutch BHC. As promised.

"Thanks for your mail.

Regarding a DNA-test:
In the human situation there are more than 30 completely different DNA-errors known, which all give the inheritable anomaly PMDS. Half of those errors are in the DNA of the hormone AMH and half of them in the AMH-receptor. But in 15% of the human families with PMDS no error is found in either AMH or its receptor. It must be somewhere on the DNA, but it is unknown where.

In the Basset Hound the Utrecht University, in collaboration with professor Josso (Paris), found no error in the AMH or its receptor. So in the Basset Hound the site of the DNA-error is unknown so far. And thus there was no DNA-test.
Later, professor Meijers-Walden (USA), found the error in the Miniature Schnauzer to be in the DNA of the AMH-receptor. To be sure that no mistake took place earlier, in Utrecht it was investigated whether this specific error was present in the PMDS-affected Basset Hound. It is not. So the Schnauzer-error is different from the unknown error in the Basset Hound. Thus still no DNA-test.

Raul Pop (kennel Quantas-Napoca) has mentioned that he might have found the Basset Hound PMDS-error. Upon my request last year the Utrecht University has offered him full collaboration. Untill now I have not heard of any progress.

As I wrote earlier to you, we have a database of more than 29,000 Basset Hounds with their socalled PMDS-gene fraction. It is now available on the web site of our Club www.NBHC.nl. Choose Database and enter (part of) the name of a BH in the box “Zoeken”(=search). Than the gene fraction appears. I enclose (again) the article explaining the computation of the gene fraction. "

If anybody does go into the NBHC database link here (recommended - it's very interesting) Wim explained the status attached to some of the hounds as follows

C - obviously carrier and A - affected
"Non-F means not-free. This code is given to the parents of a proven affected dog, which are at least carrier but may also be affected themselves. Non-A means not-affected. This code is given to the dogs that were examined and had no uterus.
When a code is given to a dog, its gene fraction is adjusted."

For those who believe this can be ignored - there have been 4 documented deaths now, 3 in Norway, 1 in Germany where the dog died of septic shock from an inflamed uterus.

This condition is now widespread across Europe and beyond which is potentially a disaster especially when looking at the status of some of the well-known old UK kennels which show a 0.00% of this compared to far higher in more recent kennels. This is what can happen when breeders refuse to accept a problem, any problem, until it's pretty much too late.

Last edited by FranksMum1; 03-14-2017 at 12:42 PM.
FranksMum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator

So I'm a little lost....is it saying there is, or is not, a test available for Basset Hounds?
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith
Pumpkin - Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:09 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
So I'm a little lost....is it saying there is, or is not, a test available for Basset Hounds?
"In the Basset Hound the Utrecht University, in collaboration with professor Josso (Paris), found no error in the AMH or its receptor. So in the Basset Hound the site of the DNA-error is unknown so far. And thus there was no DNA-test.
Later, professor Meijers-Walden (USA), found the error in the Miniature Schnauzer to be in the DNA of the AMH-receptor. To be sure that no mistake took place earlier, in Utrecht it was investigated whether this specific error was present in the PMDS-affected Basset Hound. It is not. So the Schnauzer-error is different from the unknown error in the Basset Hound. Thus still no DNA-test. (My underline).

Remember my source is Dutch. Much as he speaks/writes better English than I do Dutch

I urge anybody to go to the link to the Dutch BHC, and then to PMDS - Database and enter the names of the dogs you want to check re percentage for PMDS.

I know PMDS is 'only' one thing facing breeders trying to produce typical, sound and healthy stock but like all problems that crop up within a breed, it's for the breeder to be aware, and avoid anything that could be life-threatening. And much as it has been suggested that PMDS 'isn't life-threatening' (it can be!), once something like this gets into a gene pool, it's very difficult to eliminate it. Right now I'm more than glad I'm not breeding these days - to find a dog with a low percentage for this, AND is good in other areas, construction/temperament and so on, would be very difficult because these lines carrying PMDS have been used so much. Even as it is, those hounds I came back to the UK with had a low percentage for this. Within the subsequent few litters I produced back in the UK, I have seen an upward trend in my lines and the hound I currently have, bought in, is the highest I've ever had because of his line back to a proven carrier. He's never been bred from, and won't be - because he has other faults!!

I realise this is mainly a pet-forum but I believe strongly that it is worth putting the information on PMDS out there.

Last edited by FranksMum1; 03-15-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #27 (permalink)

there is no genetic test the Link is to Pedigree analysis based on dogs known to be effective and assuming it is a recessive gene assigning risk for that which can not be known for certain. the likelihood of the dog being a carrier.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:35 AM   #28 (permalink)

Default checking for PMDS RISK

It is beholden on anybody thinking about breeding, to take advantage of/use the Dutch database which gives the percentage risk of those dogs on the list to date. It is being regularly updated as more pedigree info. comes in and of those hounds found to be affected and so their parents etc. likely to be carrier. Eg. those would be listed as Non -F beside their name meaning not free. Non- A means the dog has been scanned but found to be without a uterus. Carrier is self-explanatory. This database includes hounds from pretty much across the world.

In the case of a pet owner, they, and so their vet, should be aware of this problem in the breed, so if the (male) dog presents with suspicious symptoms should be given an ultrasound, to confirm, or rule out, the presence of a uterus.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #29 (permalink)

direct link to database which is quite extensive.
https://www.nbhc.nl/pmds/pmds-database/

link how the fractions in the database work

http://www.norskbassetklubb.no/webdo...NALYSISpdf.pdf

Last edited by Mikey T; 03-20-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #30 (permalink)

"if the (male) dog presents with suspicious symptoms "

I would personally include cryptorchidism as a symptom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement