Tramadol Help! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tramadol Help!

So Lucy hurt her back again a little bit and our vet said to just give her some Tramadol we have on hand. Lucy is always great at finding it in whatever food we try to hid it in. We finally found that if we put it in Cream Cheese she swallows it without realizing te in there. I gave it to her no problem this afternoon, but just tried giving it to her just now and I must not have covered it well enough and she got one taste of it and spit it out and I tried shoving it to the back of her throws mint she was fighting it super hard and I gave up.

Anyone have any good ideas? Other medications she takes no problem but Tramadol is so bitter she has a real issue with it. Anything work for you that we should try?
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2017, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

I did this...slice hot dogs into about inch long pcs. Make a slit with tip of small knife in one cut end and insert the pill....it will close back up..... Toss her a couple pcs without pills to chew suspiciously, then toss her the third or fourth with the pill in it....by then she will be gulping them down.....works for me. You have to give a couple of "duds" first until they get "greedy" and gulp them....works for us.
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Honestly, I just open the mouth, put the pill at the back of the throat and close the mouth, holding the head up slightly and stroking the throat gently.

Here are some suggestions: http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/the...g-a-dog-a-pill

I really hope the vet told you to put her on strict crate rest.

http://www.dodgerslist.com

http://www.k9backpack.com
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith
Pumpkin - Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box

Last edited by Soundtrack; 02-12-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I actually went out and bought some different pill pockets that she hasn't had before so she didn't suspect them and put the pill in, put peanut butter around it and she ate it no problem! Thank you for all of your advice though. I will use those if she decides this wont work for her next!

And Lucy is terrified of her old crate after someone knocked into it and it made a huge bang so we aren't crating her but do have her confined to my small bedroom so she is resting and improving nicely.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

all of our pills get coated in peanut butter followed by a quick peanut butter chaser
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Forgot to mention, once they get into the I get a hot dog for a treat idea, we only have to toss one pc with the pill in it. The multi-toss is just to get them started....much cheaper than pill pockets. Ester is TERRIBLE to put a pill in the back of her mount and I am GOOD at it....much less hassle for all this way. Also, if you do put a pill at the back of the throat, and stroke, but the dog doesn't swallow, hold the mouth shut and blow across their nostrils....they will swallow every time....reflex action
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement