bumps...when to get them checked. - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default bumps...when to get them checked.

A good friend of mine is in the middle of a cross contry drive to her next duty station and called me frantic. She found a bump on her hounds ribcage and since she hasn't arrived in her new city yet, she has no vet. I've had a little experience as noba had 6 bumps removed two years ago - all turned out to be fatty cysts. All Nobas were decently free moving, as they rolled around in my fingers. My friend described this one as grapeish size and doesn't seem to move. she said its kind of firm, but not hard and feels a little squishy. Also said it feels attached to ribcage. I know its hard to say what kind of lump she found without seeing it, but is it something she should immediately find a vet for on her trip or does it seem like something that can wait?? Little background, Jones (her basset) is six years old, healthy, has had no major issues. Sara expects to be in new place by beginning of next week (traveling with two kids, two dogs and a cat takes time). Thanks for any advice the awesome experts around here can give.

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

most lumps ar nothing to worry about but even by just feeling etc you can never be sure, If the lump is not growing rapidly you generally have time ,
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Bassets are so inclined to develop fatty cysts. I had one who fast as I'd get them taken off, developed more in other places. I never discovered why - for sure her litter brother had none of this going on. Ultimately, much as I would get them checked, I left them alone unless they grew, burst or were in a difficult place. There is always the possibility of course, that one could be a 'nasty' but generally speaking this is just - well Bassets!

I'd suggest that your friend has time to get where she's headed, before seeing a vet, although having said that, if it will reassure her, then get it checked sooner.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement