Cosequin Allergy?!?!? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cosequin Allergy?!?!?

Good morning,

Noba has been on glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM since he was a puppy after being diagnosed with hip dysplasia. Anyway, when a puppy he was on Cosequin. But then we switched him to a human variety due to the availability of Cosequin where I lived, which he had been on for 5 years and did great on it. I recently (about 5 weeks ago) switched him back to Cosequin DS. Since then, he has been scratching various areas of his body a lot, licking his front leg and chewing up one of his rear legs. The Cosequin is the only change I've made... no food changes, treat changes, etc. Has anyone ever heard of an allergy to Cosequin? I talked to my vet when Noba went in for his shots last week and she did a thorough once over (found no fleas or anything (hes on Advantix anyway) and said he looked good, but did notice his hind leg was red), so she said an allergy to Cosequin is rare. Thought I'd ask on here to see. Three days ago, I took him off the Cosequin and returned him to the other glucosamine. If the Cosequin was the cause of the allergy, how long should it take to clear up his poor itchiness? Thanks so much.

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm really not sure but I have heard with food allergy's it can take up to 12 weeks. I know after Turtle got a loaf of bread off the counter and ate the whole thing it seemed like two months before she stopped itching like crazy.

I was feeding her coconut oil and you could also put some on the spots. He will probably lick it off but it may help. Coconut oil is an anti inflammatory. I use organic and buy it in a big container because I feed all four of mine it a couple times a week.

I also use it for cooking and I have found I love it. I feed about a Tablespoon. I hope your poor guy gets better soon.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement