Boomer has Epilepsy - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boomer has Epilepsy

Boomer, now 7 1/2 months old, started have seizures ~ 6 weeks ago. He is on Phenobarbital and it appears to be working.

I've read that this is not uncommon in bassets. Are there others on here who's fur babies have epilepsy?
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Fred doesn't have epilepsy but he does get head tremors from time to time that last about 30 seconds to a minute. We just try to comfort him until its over.
Fred,Pickle-n-Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie0762 View Post
Boomer, now 7 1/2 months old, started have seizures ~ 6 weeks ago. He is on Phenobarbital and it appears to be working.

I've read that this is not uncommon in bassets. Are there others on here who's fur babies have epilepsy?
I'm so sorry to read this. And yes, it isn't unknown in some Basset lines.

I've luckily never experienced this in all the years I've had Bassets, but I ended my line because of this. The stud dog I used for what turned out to be my last litter, developed this some years later, when he was 8. On it's own I might not have been quite as concerned since he was older and fitting in older age can be due to a number of other things, not necessarily hereditary. But when I checked, I found his mother went the same way when she was older, so I felt the buck had to stop somewhere. I looked right back and found some very odd things that had happened to hounds on his maternal side - brain tumours and other odd things.

I refused to allow the male we'd kept from this lovely litter to be used at stud, and had his sister spayed. Although I didn't hear of this cropping up in any of the other sold puppies from this litter, and I believe I would have, I think I did the right thing hard as it was. It would have been more devastating had I had to do this early on in my breeding programme mind you.

Hopefully you can get your young hound stabilised - it may take some time to get the dose correct. He's so young - I hope you have told the breeder about this as obviously she needs to check back and see where this might have come from, if possible. And obviously that pairing should not be repeated I suggest.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have never dealt with it either. But I just wanted to say good luck and your Boomer is very cue looking.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

& 1/2 month is young for idoptathic epelipsy usual at this age there are other causes for siezures. Has he be examine and ruled out a Liver shunt?

Seizures (Epileptic) in Dogs

Quote:
The characteristics associated with genetic epilepsy usually manifests from 10 months to 3 years of age, but has been reported as early as six months and as late as five years.
basset are not one of the breed known to be prone to siezure disorders. but they do occur. The one think I can not over emphysis have lost a dog to It one and only Status Siezure (SIEZURE lastsing more than 10 minutes) the importance about talking to the vet about a dose of Liquid Diazipam ( vallium) that can be adminstered rectally in case of an emergency. Rarely will you be with in 5 minutes of an open animal hospital when an emergency event happens .

Diastat

TREATING CLUSTER SEIZURES
WITH THE RECTAL AND ORAL VALIUM PROTOCOL

STATUS EPILEPTICUS AND CLUSTER SEIZURES
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement