Advice for "crooked" front leg - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
so that he benefits from the green lipped mussel
I have used glycoflex which is a supplement with green lipped mussel not sure it made any difference and while intial studies were promising subsequent ones have not been.

Perna canalicula
Quote:
Studies have found that Perna canalicula inhibits the 5-lipoxygenase pathway, which leads to the formation of leukotrienes. Many of the products of these pathways have inflammation-supporting properties.[citation needed] However, a systematic review of current scientific research on supplementation with Green-lipped mussel suggests a lack of compelling evidence for its use in humans with inflammation associated arthritis.[3]
New research hails NZ green lipped mussels as a super food

Quote:
A new scientific trial found that more than half of all patients who took the freeze-dried mussel powder, produced by a Christchurch firm, had knee joint pain "significantly reduced".
which sound great until you look at other research the Gian NIS study on gluocosimine found a full 60% of partcipant that took gloucosimine had significant reduction in knee pain problem is 60% of those taking a placebo also had significant reduction in knee pain hence it was determend that goucosomine was no better than placebo at reducing moderate knee pain, severe knee pain results were inconclusive. It is unlikely there would be any adverse effect from including green lipped muscles in the diet so from that stand point if it does not work it only cost money,

the most signifant thing you can do is keep digby weight in check . and exercise moderate exercise is important for arthritis muscle strength helps support the joints and reduces problems.

as far as anything you did to cause the problem it is unlike but nutritional excess can be a cause of such problem ie being overweight or excessive consumption of calcium but unless you used a calcium supplement or fed a lot of dairy that is unlikely as well
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Crepitus
sound horrble but is not really Crepitus often found in any joint injury many times it clears up sometimes not as in the case of arthritis it could be the cause.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks Mikey. Yes I've read articles on the ambiguous benefits of the green lipped mussel products. However, I have took the vet's advice and put him on Royal Canin Mobilty food but I can't say I have noticed a difference. It's expensive food but has a good reputation. I have never given dairy products or calcium supplements. Digby is attending vet every month now to have his weight monitored as they would like him to stay at 63lbs. Vet also said to keep him on lead during his short walks. Feel like that is very restrictive because he is such a healthy and energetic dog.
crazydiamond123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

FWIW, and this is purely my personal opinion.....

When my Kermit was diagnosed with a neck injury, the vet wanted me to severly limit his lifestyle. No running, short leash, no furniture, the whole nine yards. He too was an energetic and active dog, even though he was somewhat older at the time. I decided that making him live like that would be cruel *for him*, even though the vet warned that he could end up quadriplegic. So although I retired him from obedience (jumping), and made sure he kept fit, once he was done his course of crate rest I basically let him continue to live a normal dog life. He lived to be 13 with no further problems.

I would be careful while he is still growing to avoid further damage, but once he is done - I would let him be a dog and take our chances. Your mileage may vary. Know your dog.

I often think vets are overly pessimistic.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance

Last edited by Soundtrack; 01-17-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks Soundtrack. Opinions vary on this but my gut instinct is to let him be a dog too! I had been doing recall training with him off lead before his diagnosis of OCD/arthritis. Digby will be 1 yr old in two weeks. I have never over-exercised him. First few weeks of bringing him home from his breeder he only went as far as the back garden. After that I only gave him 5-10 mins on grass where I practiced recall. He does more sniffing at bushes and trees than constant walking so that's why I felt keeping him on lead all the time was a bit restrictive. He still has episodes of limping and during these phases I don't walk him, he only goes out the back. It's good to talk to other Basset owners to get opinions. Thanks so much for posting
Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Speaking of which, I hope you are also talking with the breeder about this.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yes, I've kept breeder informed every step of the way. Sent her the xrays too so she could get her vet's opinion and a second ortho opinion. I'm in constant touch with her but it's also good to talk to lots of owners/breeders. Digby is the only Basset I've ever owned so it's been very educational and interesting talking to others also
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #18 (permalink)

"Digby was weaned on Royal Canin Maxi Junior by the breeder "

Boy did I pick up on this one. Guess what - my Frankie was weaned onto this food too. See what I have already written about him on this thread.

Pano is undoubtedly there in some bloodlines and I know his breeder had a previous litter, from similar (not the same dogs) bloodlines as Frankie's sire. So I went down that road too much as his lameness wasn't creeping, and there was no pain, although he was lame so must have been feeling something. X-rays ruled that out however.

I'd just say I'd NEVER touch RC because to me, it's far too high in protein for this breed. Unfortunately breeders often get sucked into all this hype when it's far better for puppies of this breed to come on steadily. Not be forced to look like adults at 6 months.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

Default Advice for "crooked" front leg

Oh.. We use RC. I'm worried now. X

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I'd NEVER touch RC because to me, it's far too high in protein for this breed
Studies have shown conclusively and multiple times protein levels do not contribute to orthopeadic conditions in young and growing dogs nor does it contribute to renal failure in older dogs. As a matter of fact because older dogs are less efficient at using protein so they actual require more as they age to maintain muscle mass.

Protein while it has the same caloric content as carbs is virtually never used for energy and never stored as fat. Excess is excreted. It does not contribute to weight gain which is a big risk factor for developmental orthopeadic condition. Now most hi protein foods are High fat as well and Fat has twice the calories as carbs so while not a problem per say if weight and portions are not controlled it can lead to excessive weight and a problem.

For what its worth I only feed Higher protein foods n o less than 27% and even higher when participatiang in dog sports. Higher protein levels have been demonstrated to reduce the incident of soft tissue injuries in sled dogs when training, Significantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement