Unsure.. - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unsure..

Good morning. So a month ago, Noba got sick with gastritis. After 10 days of medication and lots of mommy love, he got better. A few weeks ago, he started acting sick again... so I took him back to the vet. He had a fever and the vet diagnosed him with a viral infection. Gave him a dose of penicilin shot and a supply of metronidazole. After being on the medication for 8 days, he started sneezing and licking his nose. So I though a cold was coming on. Back to the vet. She confirmed that he may have caught a cold when he is immune systme was down due to the viral infection. She said that it should go away on its own in the next few weeks. His sneezing has gotten better, only a few times a day, but now he is doing reverse sneezing. I know that reverse sneezing in and of itself is not harmful, but I'm wondering if it means his cold isn't getting any better. Now, I'm not sure if he should go back to the vet or if I should wait it out. I can be oversensitive when it comes to his health, but things like a collapsed trachea scare me. He's never been a reverse sneezer, this is new. Should I be concerned, or wait it out and see if it gets better? Advice please? Thanks.

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

If this is truly a virus situation, obviously it can't be treated, but has to run it's course. The symptoms however can be treated. I'm wondering about the use of metronidazole which is given to a patient with Giardia. Have you had a fecal done? Our most recent buy in Basset came to us and Giardia was discovered. Eventually we got negative fecals but he was left with tummy problems which means we have him on a fish and potato diet, to keep his BMs regular. Having Giardia wouldn't mean a fever however.

But I digress. Reverse sneezing is something mine have occasionally done, but I'd not say it's inherently a Basset thing. And nor is collapsed trachea

All I can offer is if you are still not happy with his progress, that you have another visit with your vet. Especially with the holiday season upon us and regular vets being closed.

Bassets DO have the ability to know exactly when it's a Sunday, or a holiday
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
If this is truly a virus situation, obviously it can't be treated, but has to run it's course. The symptoms however can be treated. I'm wondering about the use of metronidazole which is given to a patient with Giardia. Have you had a fecal done? Our most recent buy in Basset came to us and Giardia was discovered. Eventually we got negative fecals but he was left with tummy problems which means we have him on a fish and potato diet, to keep his BMs regular. Having Giardia wouldn't mean a fever however.

But I digress. Reverse sneezing is something mine have occasionally done, but I'd not say it's inherently a Basset thing. And nor is collapsed trachea

All I can offer is if you are still not happy with his progress, that you have another visit with your vet. Especially with the holiday season upon us and regular vets being closed.

Yes, he had a fecal done during the visit when they gave him the metronidazole, it was negative!!. It's a wide spectrum covering medication, so it can be used for everything from parasites to fungal to virus. I'm just not sure if he is getting worse or better. He isn't acting sick at all... just the sneezing and now reverse sneezing. He doesn't seem to be licking his nose anymore and sneezing only a few times a day. But it seems as though when the actual sneezing decreased, his reverse sneezing increased!!??!! I comfort him when he does it, even though I know it doesn't cause him any harm... so I don't know.

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
LOL, how very true !
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

[quote]Reverse sneezing is something mine have occasionally done, but I'd not say it's inherently a Basset thing. And nor is collapsed trachea[/url]

much more common in beagle than basset but it can occur in any breed of dog.

Quote:
He had a fever and the vet diagnosed him with a viral infection. Gave him a dose of penicilin shot and a supply of metronidazole
sound mre like a vet throughing his hands up in the air houwever metronidazole ie flagyl is standard protocol with just about any gastric upset.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
it was negative!!.
many of the spore type parasites will not show up on a standard fecal exam especial one performed at the vets office rather than being sent of to a lab.

cryptosporidia
Quote:
Diagnosis can be difficult. Specimens should be sent to an academic or commercial testing laboratory familiar with the necessary diagnostic techniques.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement