Basset hound in pain! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Basset hound in pain!

Hi there, i have a 1.5 yr old basset hound, about three weeks ago he started having pain in his jaw. He cannot open it to chew treats. can swallow food but chewing isn't an option. we have tried to open his mouth and he yelps. 3 days ago he stated having some swelling below his eye and then his whole left side of his face. He has been to the vet, xrays show nothing, teeth are all in good shape. Vet cannot find anything. put him on some steroids at the vets and Metcam for inflamation. He is depressed and sleeps a alot now, wants pets on that ear all the time and rubs under the jaw. drooling on left side as well. Thought maybe trauma, we have cows, but xrays don't show anything. could this possibly be a bad ear infection? has anyone else had experience with it?

Thank you
ally101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Could he have been bitten by something? How about a splinter? I guess the Vet would have spotted that.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

No bite wounds. Possibly a splinter from a pork bone, got into garbage, but didnt show up on xray.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

pain in his jaw. He cannot open it to chew treats. can swallow food but chewing isn't an option. we have tried to open his mouth and he yelps. 3 days ago he stated having some swelling below his eye and then his whole left side of his face. He is depressed and sleeps a alot now, wants pets on that ear all the time and rubs under the jaw.

Hi so sorry to hear of your problems, if there is no fracture, broken tooth,
has your vet thought of myositis believe it is due to automimune & can be treated. Keeping finger & paws crossed for you.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
3 days ago he stated having some swelling below his eye and then his whole left side of his face

that is a typical sign of either an abcess or a tumor did the vet not try and drain it?
t
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'd get a second opinion- do you live near one of the vet school clinics: Cornell or U. of Pa.?
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Unfortunately I live in a rural area with nothing like that. My next thing is to contact some breeders in the area and find out who they take their bassets to. Either that or start calling all the vet clinics to find out who has the most experience.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
pain in his jaw. He cannot open it to chew treats. can swallow food but chewing isn't an option. we have tried to open his mouth and he yelps. 3 days ago he stated having some swelling below his eye and then his whole left side of his face. He is depressed and sleeps a alot now, wants pets on that ear all the time and rubs under the jaw.

Hi so sorry to hear of your problems, if there is no fracture, broken tooth,
has your vet thought of myositis believe it is due to automimune & can be treated. Keeping finger & paws crossed for you.
Thank you!
The vet has thought of that but it is only one side and he has no other issues. Healthy all around.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

This one so reminds me of my dear old Mannie who, some years ago now and unknown to us at the time, ingested a grass seed. It's the one time our then vet was totally at a loss. We couldn't get his mouth to open, and his head blew up into the size of a football. Nightmare He was given a high dose of steroids - which sent him running to the nearest bush to hide under.

After many vet trips (which actually cured his car-sickness - there had to be a plus in all of that!) the thing finally pointed just under his ear and could be lanced. Out came about an inch of grass seed. It took some time, and flushing out, to settle down again, but we darned nearly lost him.

Worth considering?
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

An update! Took luigi to another vet. They heavily sedated him and then scoped his mouth and throte found a large abcess behind his jaw. They drained it and put him on antibiotics. He is sore but should heal up fine!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement