Help with a possible testicle problem - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with a possible testicle problem

This is long - apologies !

I have a young (3 year old) entire male Basset who has had any number of problems since coming to us at 4 months. The latest has been sitting on his bum and wriggling. And yes, I immediately suspected anal glands although despite being able to externally drain these (have done for years) I wasn't able to get anything out. So off to the vet who going in from inside, did

He gave him oral antibiotics (my previous vet always flushed and packed topically) but I went along with this treatment. He seemed to be better and a recheck showed no further problem.

However, this wriggling on his rear end continued (and yes, I know that once disturbed, these glands can take a time to settle down again). When I checked him, I touched his testicles (scrotal sac) and he yelled. So back to the vet - did he do this again - NO! Not a sound. Anal glands fine.

He's still doing this wriggling around, after over a month - sometimes he reacts when I touch these testicles, sometimes he doesn't (I know, don't touch his testicles ) I've watched him when he does this, and he doesn't seem to be sitting on his anal area, just on his scrotal sac. He doesn't have any difficulty in walking (sore back there) and there is no obvious swelling back there either. I am booked in with him at the vet's again tomorrow and am about to tell her to castrate him, something I'd honestly prefer not to do to be honest - he's a mellow enough dog as it is.

I'm just wondering whether anybody can shed any light on what might be going on - when he lies down, he tends to stick his bum against a chair and does moan from time to time, although basically this isn't a sick dog much as there is something going on
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

I would rule out a hip issue, prostate issue, before going the castration route.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
I would rule out a hip issue, prostate issue, before going the castration route.
Thanks Mikey, but done - he had full skeletal x-ray to find out why he was lame early on (premature closure of the growth plates, ulna both sides), hips/elbows fine, and his prostate has been checked (same time as the anal glands were done) and that's fine. Possibility appreciated tho.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
he had full skeletal x-ray to find out why he was lame early on
does not have to be skelletal could be a soft tissue issue ie muscle, tendon ligament, but generally it would manifest it self in other ways too but you never know.

again I would expect other symptoms like rectal bleeding and while not common dogs can get hemmroids as well
Symptoms of Dog Hemorrhoids
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Follow up with Frankie - I had him to my vet this morning and after a thorough examination, including checking those anal glands again, which were pretty full with yuck stuff on one side, we have decided that on Monday, he'll go back for a flush and pack to be done on these glands and as he'll be under a g/a, also to have two smallish lumps (which have been checked out as just cysts) at the base of his tail, removed. At the same time she'll recheck these testicles when he's 'out'. He did react slightly to investigation this morning much as she could find nothing immediately abnormal there.

It may be that eventually these glands will have to come out as they are apparently quite far in - which probably explains why I've never been able to express them externally myself, as I've always been done with my other hounds If their siting means they are not going to work as they should (given his stools have been normal for the most part in recent years may be the case), we may be looking at repeated trips to flush and pack in the future - nice for the vet's income, but not for my Bank balance

So as of now, he remains unaltered
Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

I was going to say it may very well still be the anal glands and not the testicles. Our Gunny (GSD) who just turned 7 recently started having issues with his anal glands. He started licking back there constantly and even though you couldn't see anything externally he apparently had an infection in there. He was on antibiotics, seemed better but started licking again a few weeks later. Found out he had yet another infection. Antibiotics again and rechecks every two weeks to be sure the infection was gone. Sure enough it came back again and he need surgery to have them removed. The vet said the one was two-three times the normal size so it was good that we took his advice and had them taken out.
Recovery was a real pain in the you know what. Getting banged up by that cone, paint getting chipped off the walls, scaring the hell out of Yogi! Yogi wouldn't go near Gunny for a week!
Anyway, best of luck to your pup!
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Yogi's mum. We had to have these removed from our very first hound, years ago now, and it most def. wasn't nice either for him, or for me watching him 'go'. We had another some years back who started to have repeated bouts of infection, flushing and packing each time and despite resisting getting them taken out because of the first experience, were set to get this done. However, things finally settled down with him and they stayed put. I hope it's the same with Frankie but if they have to come out, they will

We've never managed to keep those e-collars on our hounds but we are around most of the time in any case, and will be from Monday too, so no cone. He shouldn't be able to reach back there (the lumps) - much as never say never eh. I have a feeling we are in for a bumpy ride from Monday because he's a softie
Old 11-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

flushing and packing each time

Have you found this helps? Had this done to one of ours & even the vet said 'it only sometimes works'. Now they are both fed raw with occasional bones things are better but Lucas's gland output is like toothpaste & even if he passed bricks they wouldn't clear. You're are very fortunate to have the knack, I've been shown how clear the glands by various vets but have never managed, makes me flipping anoyed!
P.S hope they get your hound sorted out, I was thinking of torsion but think he would have swelling?

Last edited by Vectisvagrant; 11-22-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
flushing and packing each time

Have you found this helps? Had this done to one of ours & even the vet said 'it only sometimes works'.
Sorry not to get back sooner I've always found topical treatment (flushing and packing) has sorted out these glands in the past. Makes more sense to me than oral medication. And for sure, the oral treatment Frankie had when we first discovered he had a problem, with these vets, didn't work!! My previous vet could do this flushing and packing, without needing to sedate, or knock them out too. They'd just stand on the table with one of us at one end restraining them while I was at the other, holding the tail away. No fighting to get the job done. I had persuaded my current vet to try this, but as I want the job sorted out, I'm going for the knock out treatment - and getting these two cysts taken off at the same time just in case they are playing some part in all of this

Doing it myself - I don't go internally because I'm always worried about getting it wrong, and doing damage I straddle them, looking to the rear, and apply pressure to either side of the anus at sort of twenty before four , externally. I may not get the glands completely empty, but at least I can take the pressure off, and see what comes out = whether a vet treatment is needed or not. With Frankie I've not been able to.

Def. not torsion - we've had 4 cases of that, 2 survived, 2 didn't
Old 11-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Def. not torsion - we've had 4 cases of that, 2 survived, 2 didn't

So sorry you have lost two to torsion (bloat) a horrible horrible thing to happen, but I meant torsion of the testis.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement