Need suggestions for sick Basset - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need suggestions for sick Basset

Hi...I am new this site & hoping someone can give good advice. We rescued Captain when he was 12wks & has always had problems. The vet calls him the million dollar puppy! He is 3 yrs now but still continues to throw up a lot. It is the yellow bile...sometimes not at all but like now he will for about 3 days in row. The vet wants to do a barium test and other things but before he becomes the 2 million dollar puppy has anyone experienced this with their Basset?
Captain&Jilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

How often and how much is he fed? What type of food is he eating? Good luck hope he gets better soon.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Is there a specific time of day that he throws up? Sometimes they will throw up bile in the morning if they have an empty stomach which can be helped by giving them a biscuit/milkbone before going to bed for the night...have you tried pure pumpkin or yogurt? If not, try adding some to his food and see if that helps.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

what is "a lot"? how often/how much? ours will periodically do this. on any medication??

hoping the little one improves
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank u all for suggestions I will definitely try the biscuit in morning and yogurt. As for time frame it is sometimes in morning but really haven't seen pattern. It will happen in middle of night or during afternoon. Captain eats 2x a day, morning/evening and eats taste of the wild. He has expensive taste!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also not taking any medication and will vomit 1-3 times a day.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Maybe the food isn't right for him. I have tried so many kibbles with my girls hoping I will find one that suits them all and I did eventually. I know TOTW is a very good food but maybe not right for him.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah I'm going to have to do something. Don't want him to go through testing if can help it.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes!!! Unfortunately. Upchucking bile is, I'd suggest, very much Basset (with some). I had one of my own breeding who'd do this regularly without fail either during the night, or first thing before breakfast. I was discussing this with a vet nurse buddie and she suggested either feeding a small meal last thing, or giving a small amount of antacid last thing. It's often a reaction to the food, or just an empty stomach. By all means let your vet do all the testing he feels necessary (for as long as your Bank balance will support this) and I hope he gets to the bottom of what's going on. However, I finally switched the food he was having (the same maintenance diet the others were having) and all that stopped.

Natural Yogurt in the diet can help (although many good commercial diets now contain a probiotic which is what yogurt is).

I sympathise re the million dollar Basset - I have one with me now - a buy in after my own line ended. He came to us with Giardia (and other structural problems not apparent at 4 months) which has quite obviously left him with a weakness so he goes down with any small tummy bug doing the rounds. I have him on a sensitive diet (literally called that) which is made up of fish and potato. It's worked fine, for the most part, although just this week he went into another vomiting episode - kerching because I had them run a full bloods and scan in case his liver/kidneys were in trouble. All clear. This boy, who came from somebody I knew who is a 'reputable breeder' , has cost us a small fortune since coming to us.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Is he at all an anxious dog? Not my basset but when I got my pitbull one of the reasons they brought him back to the shelter was because he was throwing up all the time.

It was sometimes food with it some times bile looking. They had had him to the vets and he checked out. He did it for about 6 months, he would do it when he got in trouble or just anxious.

Long story short it turned out the poor thing just wasn't getting what he needed. Which was lots and lots of exercise and a place to feel welcome.

Now I'm not saying you are not making your dog feel welcome just throwing things out there. Maybe he could use some more walks and things to do.

But I think also that the probiotics would be a good choice. I hope you get it figured out I know it's not fun.

I have a million dollar basset as well but her problem is allergies.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement