Spinal cord injury - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spinal cord injury

My basset puppy is 4 months old and we just found out she has a spinal cord injury. (She will not use her back right Leg and has to shuffle around like a seal to move) She's on bed rest for 6-8 weeks with anti inflammatory and pain meds. If she does not show improvement or get worse we will have to take her to Cornell University for surgery. Does anyone know anything else that could help this problem? Ice packs or any other information?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Caela is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Awww sorry to hear about this
maybe others will be along soon with more advice and experience.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Strict bed rest and anti-inflammatories are what I always recommend.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Okay I'm trying. It's very hard to keep a puppy in bed rest. She's so energetic. Heat or ice packs? My aunt had nerve damage (which I know isn't the same) and she used a special ice pack and it helped her so much

Old 11-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm not sure if I should let her walk...it looks very hard for her. She has to slide her back legs. I'm nervous it's going to hurt her more.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

My dog had a neck injury this summer and was on crate rest for 2 weeks. It was horrible, but we had to just keep her in the crate at all times, only getting out for meals and potty breaks. And no extra walking around, just walk straight out to do business and straight back. It was awful with an adult and I can only imagine that it's that much worse with a young energetic puppy. But please try to follow the vet's instructions as closely as possible.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am! She's so sleepy. I think it's exhausting the little walking she is doing. Hopefully these 8 weeks go fast! Thank you all for your concern! Hoping I hear from someone about ice or warm compresses to help.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm so sorry Caela about your baby. I've been through spinal surgery with my Flash - it's extremely important to keep her as still as possible. You'll also want to talk with your vet to see what you need to watch for in regards to her back end. I don’t want to scare you but there's a point if they drop their back end and can’t lift it back up by themselves you have hours to have surgery so she'll be able to walk again and before permanent damage is done.

When Flash first developed the problem it was a Monday – by Friday of the same week, after keeping her drugged and still for a week her back end dropped and she couldn’t lift it – she was having surgery by 4:00 that afternoon. I know it’s hard – but keep her in the crate as much as possible. Don’t let her do stairs or be up on any furniture. Keep her as still as possible. If she’s not going out to do her business she needs to be in her crate. If possible carry her out to the grass so she doesn’t have as far to walk – but be careful to keep her back as straight as possible.

You’ll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (don’t tell him though – he thinks he’s a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound – RIP 2000 ~ 2011 – Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

So sorry you're going through this with your puppy. I wouldn't put any ice or heat on without asking your vet. We've been through a spinal op with our 7 year old this last summer and as everyone has said crate rest, crate rest, crate rest.
I wouldn't let her drag herself around too much and when you do take her out for pees and poos ask your vet about using a sling to give her back some support and it makes it more comfortable and easier for her to squat and do her business. Always keep in mind as well that she's on pain meds and is feeling better than she actually is. Might be a good idea to get an orthipedic (sp?) bed for her crate - you don't want blankets or bedding that will get scrunched up. Just to reiterate what Jen said really keep an eye on her back end. It must be so hard keeping your puppy quiet. Lots of gentle cuddles and kisses and please give her some from us.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

The surgery is over 6000 dollars. I'm a substitute teacher and I don't have that kind of money at the drop of a hat I'm praying for full recovery from rest. What kind of medicines were your dogs on? Darlas on a muscle relaxer and anti-inflammatory. It might sound weird but I want to ask the vet if they can prescribe something to kind of knock her out . If she was an older dog I don't think it would be as hard but she doesn't hold still. And she just wants to run around and play with her Pug brother.
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.Spinal cord injury-imageuploadedbypg-free1352309829.413211.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement